Elks: Edmonton Eskimos 2018 v2

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nik Lewis said he does want to play in the CFL but wants to be down east.
I'd pay to see him play whichever team he signs for but with the talent esks have at receiver, I'd only want him on the esks if he replaces Maas as the OC.

The talent at receiver is starting to become overstated. Beyond Walker and Williams, they don’t actually have a lot there, especially with Hazelton injured. They miss Zylstra a lot on 2nd downs; it is one of the reasons this team has struggled offensively.

Reactions: MessierII

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
He just ran a 4.43 or something ridiculously fast, I’m sure he’s still in shape to play

I wouldn't doubt he's in great shape, but probably not in condition to play pro football.
8 years from playing and not knowing the CFL game? I'd love it for the entertainment value, but that's about it.

If the esks want him I would hope they offer him league minimum.
other than that, I'd prefer him in Toronto or Montreal.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
The talent at receiver is starting to become overstated. Beyond Walker and Williams, they don’t actually have a lot there, especially with Hazelton injured. They miss Zylstra a lot on 2nd downs; it is one of the reasons this team has struggled offensively.

I'd argue that the issue is the play calling more than the quality of the receivers. Doesn't help Reilly is a bit of a gunslinger and make some really ill-advised throws. (not that I'd change him. he's still the best player in the league)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He just ran a 4.43 or something ridiculously fast, I’m sure he’s still in shape to play

You are correct that is ridiculously fast. Two WRs ran sub 4.43 40s at the combine this year. So a 44 year old who basically hasn't played in eight years would be the third fastest WR in the draft, if eligible?

Not saying it's impossible. Just highly, highly doubtful.

That being said, I will go watch if he comes to town.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So the choice is between Rod Black and Morley Scott?

Where’s the puking emoji again?
I’ll be honest, I haven’t listened to an Eskimos game on the radio since Bryan Hall did play by play. I’ve got no idea when he stopped calling the games either. That’s my point. TSN needs to bring their announcers into this century too. Cuthbert and Black are both past their best before dates.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
IF he signed with the esks and IF he made it to the roster for a game day, wonder how many extra tickets he would sell. 10,000 maybe?
would sure be a profit making sideshow. even the CFL haters I know said they'd go to a game to see him hopefully fail.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
IF he signed with the esks and IF he made it to the roster for a game day, wonder how many extra tickets he would sell. 10,000 maybe?
would sure be a profit making sideshow. even the CFL haters I know said they'd go to a game to see him hopefully fail.

Yeah, I see that, but I don't like sideshows that impact the actual game product. At this point, I'm conifident the Esks have at least 4 better options for American receivers when they are healthy, so bringing him in may sell tickets, but decreases their chances of winning. Unfortunately, we already know that to our President winning isn't enough, so this totally smells of a Rhodent side show attempt.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah, I see that, but I don't like sideshows that impact the actual game product. At this point, I'm conifident the Esks have at least 4 better options for American receivers when they are healthy, so bringing him in may sell tickets, but decreases their chances of winning. Unfortunately, we already know that to our President winning isn't enough, so this totally smells of a Rhodent side show attempt.

you're exactly right in everything you've said, right down to the comment about Rhodes.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
10,000? No chance. Maybe a few hundred for his first game. But after than that, nothing. Anyone under 25 probably barely remembers who he is.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Esks have done nothing (Owens has merely exercised his 10-day window) so how is this about Rhodes?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He wouldn’t be brought in to help the team win, that’s for sure. He was a locker room cancer wherever he played. My favourite memory of him was whining to the media while he was in Dallas about the quarterback and another receiver having “secret meetings” about the offense. He’s the stereotypical wide receiver that thinks the only thing that matters in football is him getting his catches. I wouldn’t have wanted him on my team ten years ago let alone now.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The Esks have done nothing (Owens has merely exercised his 10-day window) so how is this about Rhodes?

The fact he was on the neg list in the first place smells of rhodents. This is unless Brock surprises us and this was just a move to try and draw an asset out of another CFL team that wants to sign him.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
@bone
This has nothing to do with Rhodes. He doesn’t manipulate the neg list. He didn’t put Owens there or ask for him to be added. That’s Sunderland, Maas and Maas's staff solely.

If you want to criticize the GM's hiring, the music entertainment or the marketing, go for it. The other is a stretch and shows your dislike for the man.

You don’t know who else is on the neg list and how the team rates those players so this could be purely a football strategy, or they could be taking trade with another team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I'd argue that the issue is the play calling more than the quality of the receivers. Doesn't help Reilly is a bit of a gunslinger and make some really ill-advised throws. (not that I'd change him. he's still the best player in the league)

I agree with this. For some reason we never call any crossing routes or intermediate stuff between the numbers. You know, the plays that are easily completed for first downs. Most pass calls seem be sideline or deep balls to Williams and Walker. Maas runs a very unimaginative one-dimensional passing game. It's little wonder the offense has been stuck in neutral for the most part.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I think the offence would be better if we had a true offensive coordinator instead of Maas trying to do too many things. If it was someone else we might not have kicked that ill-fated FG in the western final. Maybe Ray next season.

Reactions: Cloned

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think the offence would be better if we had a true offensive coordinator instead of Maas trying to do too many things. If it was someone else we might not have kicked that ill-fated FG in the western final. Maybe Ray next season.

Wasn't Carson Walch still the OC last season?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
@bone
This has nothing to do with Rhodes. He doesn’t manipulate the neg list. He didn’t put Owens there or ask for him to be added. That’s Sunderland, Maas and Maas's staff solely.

If you want to criticize the GM's hiring, the music entertainment or the marketing, go for it. The other is a stretch and shows your dislike for the man.

You don’t know who else is on the neg list and how the team rates those players so this could be purely a football strategy, or they could be taking trade with another team.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. I've got my personal gears to grind with Rhodes for some of the stuff done that impacted me directly, but this actually makes me feel better. I was worried this was from the winning isn't enough column that Rhodes has previously referenced.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but still hoping they don't actually think he's able to replace one of our american receivers who already occupy three of the top four positions for passing yardage league-wide. Particularly when Hazelton is eligible to start practicing again after the bye.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Alright, thanks for clarifying. That actually makes me feel better. Was worried this was from the winning isn't enough column that Rhodes has previously referenced.

I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but still hoping they don't actually think he's able to replace one of our american receivers who already occupy three of the top four positions for passing yardage league-wide. Particularly when Hazelton is eligible to start practicing again after the bye.
I doubt that Owens is coming here. It’s more likely that he’d be signed and traded, that he says he’s not coming anyway or we just give up his rights. I’m trying to find out what I can. No one is talking right now.

Reactions: MessierII

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
At least it gives up something to talk about over the bye week...

I can't see him coming here either and even if he does, he'll want a starring role and how would that look to the rest of the team. Name aside, all of a sudden you're slotting someone into a starting receiver slot who's never played the CFL game before taking away opportunities from other guys who have earned those spots. Seems like a marketing gimmick to me to but a side-show we could do without.

On another note, any word on Gable yet?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nik fing Lewis, if he ever showed up in and Eskimo uni I might have to find another team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yes, he wasn’t calling all the shots.

Oh I never supposed that he was. But obviously he was taking some of the coaching workload, and still we had Maas stupidity flush a Grey Cup down the toilet. So I doubt things would really change in that department if we re-hired an OC, unless it was someone very prominent with the authority to shout down Maas' brilliant strategies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Oh I never supposed that he was. But obviously he was taking some of the coaching workload, and still we had Maas stupidity flush a Grey Cup down the toilet. So I doubt things would really change in that department if we re-hired an OC, unless it was someone very prominent with the authority to shout down Maas' brilliant strategies.

We called a lot of slants and the like when we had Zylstra. I think the problem is that neither Walker nor Williams are the greatest route runners so the timing isn’t there for the slants. Even Hazelton would help out here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad