Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anybody remember these:

BOOK FOR CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYERS' PHOTOS - OFFICIAL 1971 COLLECTION ; Complete CFL Magazine with 225 Players from 9 Teams Glued in Book - JOE THEISMANN RC MOSCA.: (1971) First Paperback Ed. & 1st Printing!. Magazine / Periodical | Comic World (abebooks.com)

I had one, got lost somewhere, never had it all filled up so it wasn't really a collectable. I probably had most players.

Esso used to also have these. I had this one too. It was cool except the Leafs and the Nucks were on the front cover. Dad probably ended up buying gas about 4 times more than he needed to. You got players stickers with a minimum tank up.

img-279751-f.jpg

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Anybody remember these:

BOOK FOR CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYERS' PHOTOS - OFFICIAL 1971 COLLECTION ; Complete CFL Magazine with 225 Players from 9 Teams Glued in Book - JOE THEISMANN RC MOSCA.: (1971) First Paperback Ed. & 1st Printing!. Magazine / Periodical | Comic World (abebooks.com)

I had one, got lost somewhere, never had it all filled up so it wasn't really a collectable. I probably had most players.

Esso used to also have these. I had this one too. It was cool except the Leafs and the Nucks were on the front cover. Dad probably ended up buying gas about 4 times more than he needed to. You got players stickers with a minimum tank up.

img-279751-f.jpg

I can remember the power player one. Think I may still have it in a box in the basement. Had an Uncle that owned an Esso station, so it was like Xmas when we visited him, as he pretty much filled our books for us. Took some of the fun out of it, but nice to get a full collection.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can remember the power player one. Think I may still have it in a box in the basement. Had an Uncle that owned an Esso station, so it was like Xmas when we visited him, as he pretty much filled our books for us. Took some of the fun out of it, but nice to get a full collection.

A couple boxes my childhood memorabilia got left behind at my parents house. As happens sometimes people have one store room where all the hoarding stuff gets piled in. I remember when I moved out I didn't feel like spending hours digging to the bottom of that ceiling high pile located inside a basement store room. I think they may have got water damaged anyway. Alas like most people a lot of this didn't survive. Lots of Oil Kings programs in there, early hockey cards etc. At the time I never really thought they would be of much value. Strangely I collected and kept other collections like the Minerals of Canada collection that Esso also had. This preceding my interest in Geology. Still have a lot of comic books in useless condition..

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I don't think the Eskimos could have won this fight because it wasn't just the sponsors who went after them and made serious comment about the name change. The list included:

-the trust fund kid in Ottawa.
-the super woke mayor of Edmonton (where did you get this guy?)
-CBC, CTV including major stories on their evening national shows
-Countless "adjunct" (adjunct means contract/part time-can't really find a full time job anywhere) university professors and self proclaimed scholars
-Sports writers/pulitzer prize candidates like Gerry and Keith
-An endless sea of wokesters who haven't left their basements in years and have never watched a CFL game

So at some point a relatively small business entity with limited resources and dwindling revenues really had no choice. How do you take on this many people and still find time to play football and survive?

would've been interesting if the pandemic didnt hit, and all of a sudden Commonwealth was getting packed with people chanting "go Eskimos!" in the midst of this mess.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
A couple boxes my childhood memorabilia got left behind at my parents house. As happens sometimes people have one store room where all the hordeing stuff gets piled in. I remember when I moved out I didn't feel like spending hours digging to the bottom of that ceiling high pile located inside a basement store room. I think they may have got water damaged anyway. Alas like most people a lot of this didn't survive. Lots of Oil Kings programs in there, early hockey cards etc. At the time I never really thought they would be of much value. Strangely I collected and kept other collections like the Minerals of Canada collection that Esso also had. This preceding my interest in Geology. Still have a lot of comic books in useless condition..

I have boxes of old memorabilia. Never kept it cause I thought it would be valuable, more likely it was just to capture the moment. First autograph I got was from Glenn Hall. My dad knew him a bit, and it was at the Edmonton Gardens at a rodeo that was being held there. I was maybe 5 at the time. Now I’m curious if I still have it, will have to look. :). My card collection is in horrible shape. Used to use scotch tape on the backs of the cards and put them on my bedroom wall. And read the backs of the cards over and over, memorizing every stat that was provided. Never occurred to me to buy a pack of cards and never open them. Gum was too good back then. ;). Can’t imagine a kid in the 60’s or 70’s not opening a pack. Kid would either have been way ahead of the curve or just had a depressing childhood, maybe both. ;)

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
would've been interesting if the pandemic didnt hit, and all of a sudden Commonwealth was getting packed with people chanting "go Eskimos!" in the midst of this mess.

As a lot of people have mentioned the name change was purposely done at a time of no seasons, no football going on. I pretty gutless kind of thing to do. I mean I guess the hope is they somehow think people forget or whatever. I mean I can imagine even by accident lots of cheers for Go Esks Go might go on.

Reminds me of a funny memory but in Early Oilers WHA games some fans would mistakenly chant Go Kings Go, in the heat of the moment, this being accidental ode to how popular the Junior club was in the City. I mean in 1972 you had to get used to the name Oilers and Go Oilers Go never sounded quite right. Fortunately somebody stumbled on things like "Here we go Oilers"..Strangely I still don't know what the best Oilers chant is.

Still remember playoff bedlam and Edmonton Gardens chants of Go Kings Go and people stomping in unison throughout the building. That old barn had a lot of atmosphere.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
As a lot of people have mentioned the name change was purposely done at a time of no seasons, no football going on. I pretty gutless kind of thing to do. I mean I guess the hope is they somehow think people forget or whatever. I mean I can imagine even by accident lots of cheers for Go Esks Go might go on.

Reminds me of a funny memory but in Early Oilers WHA games some fans would mistakenly chant Go Kings Go, in the heat of the moment, this being accidental ode to how popular the Junior club was in the City. I mean in 1972 you had to get used to the name Oilers and Go Oilers Go never sounded quite right. Fortunately somebody stumbled on things like "Here we go Oilers"..Strangely I still don't know what the best Oilers chant is.

Still remember playoff bedlam and Edmonton Gardens chants of Go Kings Go and people stomping in unison throughout the building. That old barn had a lot of atmosphere.

In my previous post I was going to ask if it's really a coincidence or not that everyone piled on after the pandemic hit and no one was going out anywhere. I hope the crowd buckles down and still chants out for the Eskimos when the gates finally open up again.

As for the early Oiler days, thats hilarious, could only imagine being on a visiting team in one of those games, hearing the crowd shout for the kings, they'd be probably think "What in the serious f*** is going on here, can't these people read their own team's sweater?" :laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I have boxes of old memorabilia. Never kept it cause I thought it would be valuable, more likely it was just to capture the moment. First autograph I got was from Glenn Hall. My dad knew him a bit, and it was at the Edmonton Gardens at a rodeo that was being held there. I was maybe 5 at the time. Now I’m curious if I still have it, will have to look. :). My card collection is in horrible shape. Used to use scotch tape on the backs of the cards and put them on my bedroom wall. And read the backs of the cards over and over, memorizing every stat that was provided. Never occurred to me to buy a pack of cards and never open them. Gum was too good back then. ;). Can’t imagine a kid in the 60’s or 70’s not opening a pack. Kid would either have been way ahead of the curve or just had a depressing childhood, maybe both. ;)

lol You just expressed the same Identical thoughts I had. There were a few kids that had the foresight to put Comics in sleeves, folders, but we weren't so rich with gifts that we could just put unpacked stuff on the shelf. Hell I think I only had 50 hockey cards, yeah, they all got opened, and the bubble gum ate. It was really pretty inferior bubble gum. Had the appealing texture of lumber...but you loved it just because it was hockey card gum..

I had mostly this series because I thought the name fonts were cool plus thats the only time I was into collecting hockey cards. I think one of my tooth may have broken from the gum and I lost interest somehow..

images

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
In my previous post I was going to ask if it's really a coincidence or not that everyone piled on after the pandemic hit and no one was going out anywhere. I hope the crowd buckles down and still chants out for the Eskimos when the gates finally open up again.

As for the early Oiler days, thats hilarious, could only imagine being on a visiting team in one of those games, hearing the crowd shout for the kings, they'd be probably think "What in the serious f*** is going on here, can't these people read their own team's sweater?" :laugh:

It took awhile and Bill Hunter was the head honcho of both clubs so must have chuckled too. I mean at first people really didn't like the Oilers name tbh. There were a lot of complaints about at the time and including the team being called the "Alberta Oilers" early on. people here hated that. The whole name and color schemes, people had to warm to it through time. At the Gardens as well capacity was just over 5K. Same size crowd at either Oilers or Oil Kings games until the Swanky Edmonton Coliseum came along.

We could use a what are all the memories thread here once in awhile.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I don’t remember these, but I do recall that you could get Slurpees in baseball hat style ‘cups’.

It was around 1977. Sundaes were sold in them and they gave you the decals to put on separately after you finished. They only trotted out a couple different helmets per month so it wasn’t easy getting the entire set. I got most of them but never got all of them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought if they use Elkhounds, they could use both Elkhounds and Elks (for short). Cover off 2 pieces of crappola in one.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Anybody remember these:

img-279751-f.jpg

I have the Power Saver sticker set.

Found it in a collectibles barn about 15 years ago and paid $150 for it.

Classic stuff.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
lol You just expressed the same Identical thoughts I had. There were a few kids that had the foresight to put Comics in sleeves, folders, but we weren't so rich with gifts that we could just put unpacked stuff on the shelf. Hell I think I only had 50 hockey cards, yeah, they all got opened, and the bubble gum ate. It was really pretty inferior bubble gum. Had the appealing texture of lumber...but you loved it just because it was hockey card gum..

I had mostly this series because I thought the name fonts were cool plus thats the only time I was into collecting hockey cards. I think one of my tooth may have broken from the gum and I lost interest somehow..

images

Decided to open my boxes of saved memorabilia. Man I’ve saved a lot of crap. So many newspaper articles, game programs, ticket stubs, etc. Thought I’d share a few of them.

upload_2021-2-11_17-13-2.jpeg

$22 for prime location tickets. Haha.

upload_2021-2-11_17-13-58.jpeg

Eskimo program from 1972. Like we did after every game, ran from the Knothole Gang into the main bleachers, and then onto the field after the game to get autographs.

upload_2021-2-11_17-15-51.jpeg

One of the ads in the game program. ;)

upload_2021-2-11_17-16-48.jpeg

My Glenn Hall autograph.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Decided to open my boxes of saved memorabilia. Man I’ve saved a lot of crap. So many newspaper articles, game programs, ticket stubs, etc. Thought I’d share a few of them.

View attachment 395253

$22 for prime location tickets. Haha.

View attachment 395254

Eskimo program from 1972. Like we did after every game, ran from the Knothole Gang into the main bleachers, and then onto the field after the game to get autographs.

View attachment 395255

One of the ads in the game program. ;)

View attachment 395257

My Glenn Hall autograph.
Players must have been excited about the possibility of winning a steer.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Empire would have been an easy choice but here we are. So ridiculous what names we have to choose from. I swear they just want people to pick Eagles; the rest are so stupid or just meh.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Stumbled on a great old article on the life and time of Eskimos legend Dan Kepley. wanted to just leave this here. Great long read.

Hop aboard Ron Cherubini's Pirate Time Machine to reconnect with East Carolina sports legends. (bonesville.net)

Kepley recalls a great time at East Carolina.
“It was a terrific place,” he said. “ECU, I think what little bit we did see the campus, it was good. Obviously, the ratio of women to men made it extremely exciting. It was a nice campus.”

we went to the Grey Cup in Calgary. It was 30 degrees below zero, I’m a starting linebacker playing for a championship, and at the beginning of the game a women jumps out and streaks across the field and I thought to myself, ‘This is a crazy ass place, I can play here.’”

Last edited:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Ignoring whether it's a good name or not, both Elk and Elkhounds are pretty cool looking animals. Could make for great logo if done right, too.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Stumbled on a great old article on the life and time of Eskimos legend Dan Kepley. wanted to just leave this here. Great long read.

Hop aboard Ron Cherubini's Pirate Time Machine to reconnect with East Carolina sports legends. (bonesville.net)

Kepley recalls a great time at East Carolina.
“It was a terrific place,” he said. “ECU, I think what little bit we did see the campus, it was good. Obviously, the ratio of women to men made it extremely exciting. It was a nice campus.”

we went to the Grey Cup in Calgary. It was 30 degrees below zero, I’m a starting linebacker playing for a championship, and at the beginning of the game a women jumps out and streaks across the field and I thought to myself, ‘This is a crazy ass place, I can play here.’”

Man, hard to believe that was 45 years ago. That was the first Grey Cup game I can remember watching as a kid. I was told if the Eskimos won I wouldn’t have to go to school the next day, so I was invested in the outcome. Turns out I was lied to, Eskimos won and I still had to go to school the next day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad