Edmonton Elks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Too hung up on the EE. They should have went with something already familiar. Edmonton Green and Gold would be way better. Change the second E to a G. Or kep the EE and call them the double E. Even if you dont like the name it was the name and it's got 100 years of history that even the most anti-eskimo person can't pretend didn't happen. All the choices were awful with at least Elks having a reason for being on the list. I really hated the Eagles as a name, that's already taken. Why not just go with Rough Riders at that point ffs.

Reactions: oilers'72

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Terry Jones.
Jones is an absolutely terrible source. The lazy old hack found out something about the name Edmonton Elk being registered or whatever but didn't bother scrolling down to see that the same thing had been done for the other 6 potential names as well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Too hung up on the EE. They should have went with something already familiar. Edmonton Green and Gold would be way better. Change the second E to a G. Or kep the EE and call them the double E. Even if you dont like the name it was the name and it's got 100 years of history that even the most anti-eskimo person can't pretend didn't happen. All the choices were awful with at least Elks having a reason for being on the list. I really hated the Eagles as a name, that's already taken. Why not just go with Rough Riders at that point ffs.
I'd be thinking about something else too much if that was the name:laugh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for a fascinating post.

Male elks are terrifying in rutting season, that's for sure--scarier than a grizzly if you ask any hunter.

According to wiki, a group of elk is referred to as a "gang" in the same way that a group of rhinos is called a "crash".

I guess "gang" is ok when you consider tackling. I like the announcer saying " the Edmonton gang move in for the tackle" so maybe the team will be simply referred to as the Edmonton Gang in the same way that the St. Louis Cardinals are often referred to as the "red birds" or simply the "cards". The adopted nickname is often a derivative of the original nickname. "The Elk move in for the tackle" just doesn't work for me.

I much prefer eagles to elk(s)? but I guess its time to get on with it. The real question is whether Eskimo fans will ever return in sufficient numbers to have the club survive. I wonder if the public model can still work or whether the Oilers have to backstop the club the same way that the Flames backstop the Stampeders.

Much prefer Elk. Elk are very visible here. You could go your life in Edmonton or most of Alberta without ever spotting an Eagle, particularly a bald Eagle. That said I'm not much of a bird kind of person. Can identify around 20 but don't get too excited about it.

Slightly off topic but jmo that one syllable team names are always better and often shortened that way as in go Esks go. To that degree Eagles is a worse name. I mean I don't even know what the chants would be for that.

Could never really understand Eagles as a pro name. sounds bantam to me.

The elk are rutting the stamps sounds good to me..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just reflecting on this some more. Clearly bird names don't do it for me. I mean look at this list. The Penguins is the alltime silliest name for a sporting franchise but theres a lot of competition here.

Professional Sports Teams Named After Birds, Ranked Best to Worst (ranker.com)

When I first heard it I though the names Seahawks, Blue Jays were jokes. Bird names seem like a real thing in baseball. Orioles, Cardinals, lol

But New Orleans Pelicans just about takes the cake. Didn't even know that team name existed.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks was a known joke deference to the movies. Still along with the Penguins the worst name in the NHL.

Getting back to Eagles the renaming of the Philly club was due to the imagery of the Bald Eagle specific to the US. As far as I am aware we have no such allegiance here in Canada to the same Eagle imagery. I can't see any good reason to name a team after the Eagle here.

Last edited:

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Just reflecting on this some more. Clearly bird names don't do it for me. I mean look at this list. The Penguins is the alltime silliest name for a sporting franchise but theres a lot of competition here.

Professional Sports Teams Named After Birds, Ranked Best to Worst (ranker.com)

When I first heard it I though the names Seahawks, Blue Jays were jokes. Bird names seem like a real thing in baseball. Orioles, Cardinals, lol

But New Orleans Pelicans just about takes the cake. Didn't even know that team name existed.

Anaheim Mighty Ducks was a known joke deference to the movies. Still along with the Penguins the worst name in the NHL.

Getting back to Eagles the renaming of the Philly club was due to the imagery of the Bald Eagle specific to the US. As far as I am aware we have no such allegiance here in Canada to the same Eagle imagery. I can't see any good reason to name a team after the Eagle here.

Try any NFL or NBA team and see how many make you think "the what?" Or my "favourite", the New Orleans Baby Cakes.

CxV1OZ4VIAAl5Ec.0.jpeg

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Jones is an absolutely terrible source. The lazy old hack found out something about the name Edmonton Elk being registered or whatever but didn't bother scrolling down to see that the same thing had been done for the other 6 potential names as well.
He is. I saw this on twitter via 3downnation who are even worse at skewing the headlines. If it's ELK, the team can FO. They weren't listening to the fans but trying to appear that they are. I like the ALs too and have no issue with just cheering them on and buying their gear.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He is. I saw this on twitter via 3downnation who are even worse at skewing the headlines. If it's ELK, the team can FO. They weren't listening to the fans but trying to appear that they are. I like the ALs too and have no issue with just cheering them on and buying their gear.

I mean I share some of the general feelings, for the same reason that I think the name change fiasco is a complete f***ing joke. But Eagles is an awful name. Has really nothing to do with Edmonton area or Canadiana for that matter. Elk are a famous species here at least and well preserved here in numbers. Not endangered like Bald Eagles are in Alberta.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I mean I share some of the general feelings, for the same reason that I think the name change fiasco is a complete f***ing joke. But Eagles is an awful name. Has really nothing to do with Edmonton area or Canadiana for that matter. Elk are a famous species here at least and well preserved here in numbers. Not endangered like Bald Eagles are in Alberta.
I know "Eagles" are kind of generic and safe. Edmonton does have over 150 species of bird in our river valley including bald (small #) and golden eagles (pelicans too!!) Out of the s*** list of seven, I chose that. I think I'm more perturbed by name change process.

1) Team president excludes one of the most popular choice right off the bat " Empire" (colonialism,..:rolleyes:) ONE EMPIRE moniker was ok though??

2) Team asks for "input" from fans. Not a vote and to choose the most popular. Insulting..

3) Teams come up with the " Shitty Seven" not considering our "input" from the first round and our choice for the second round will be used to "consider" a name. FO.. Insulting.. Elkhounds ..huh?.. That wasn't from the fans. With the exception of Eagles and Elk, the rest came out of someone's ass.:laugh:

4) Seems like their sponsors mean more to them than their fans.

Bad enough to change the name The naming process was a complete load of nonsense by the team. Respect your fanbase. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels disrespected in all this. Pardon the ramble.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know where you are getting that from. Based on the 7 choices it seems like Eagles and Elks were the most popular

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe they are trying to bring awareness to this. Trying to save face:sarcasm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I know "Eagles" are kind of generic and safe. Edmonton does have over 150 species of bird in our river valley including eagles (pelicans too!!) Out of the s*** list of seven, I chose that. I think I'm more perturbed by name change process.

1) Team president excludes one of the most popular choice right off the bat " Empire" (colonialism,..:rolleyes:) ONE EMPIRE moniker was ok though??
2) Team asks for "input" from fans. Not a vote and to choose the most popular. Insulting..
3) Teams come up with the " Shitty Seven" not considering our "input" from the first round and our choice for the second round will be used to "consider" a name. FO.. Insulting.. Elkhounds ..huh?.. That wasn't from the fans. With the exception of Eagles and Elk, the rest came out of someone's ass.:laugh:
4) Seems like their sponsors mean more to them than their fans.

Bad enough to change the name The naming process was a complete load of nonsense by the team. Respect your fanbase. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels disrespected in all this.

Short question. Have you ever spotted an Eagle in Edmonton? I honestly haven't. I know they exist, but not common here. Bald Eagle is especially rare in Edmonton.

Empire was a crappy name. At least that was avoided.

I thought the list of 7 names was so ridiculous almost on purpose to make the couple of options seem better in comparison.

Respect fanbase? Have you seen the half time entertainment anytime over the last 10yrs? They don't even know who their fanbase is. They don't cater to it, that stopped a long time ago,

Years ago they had one dumb halftime musical act, can't remember the name, they figured it was a draw and were selling tickets for a postgame concert for 10bucks. Trouble is nobody bought any. By end of game and people leaving they were trying to give tickets away to the postgame performance so that there would be somebody around for the band to play to. Saddest thing I saw. We stayed around just out of curiosity to see what kind of crowd they managed to get. Wouldn't have been 50 people. I think 10 of them were homeless people they found around the stadium.

The optics of the name change occurring under the wing of an airlifted in CEO from Oklahoma is pretty disgusting. Enough that I still presume I'll stay away for awhile even if another season even occurs. I think the league might stitch a season together but will need major bankrolling from TV contract just to stay somewhat afloat. Bad news for the league is the Eskimos can't play league financial savior anymore.

Lastly Football is decreasingly a big sell in this market. Multiculturally newer Canadians seem to naturally take to Hockey, but this is not the case with football, and especially with the CFL. Its a dead duck league. Only question is when.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Short question. Have you ever spotted an Eagle in Edmonton? I honestly haven't. I know they exist, but not common here. Bald Eagle is especially rare in Edmonton.

Empire was a crappy name. At least that was avoided.

I thought the list of 7 names was so ridiculous almost on purpose to make the couple of options seem better in comparison.

Respect fanbase? Have you seen the half time entertainment anytime over the last 10yrs? They don't even know who their fanbase is. They don't cater to it, that stopped a long time ago,

Years ago they had one dumb halftime musical act, can't remember the name, they figured it was a draw and were selling tickets for a postgame concert for 10bucks. Trouble is nobody bought any. By end of game and people leaving they were trying to give tickets away to the postgame performance so that there would be somebody around for the band to play to. Saddest thing I saw. We stayed around just out of curiosity to see what kind of crowd they managed to get. Wouldn't have been 50 people. I think 10 of them were homeless people they found around the stadium.

The optics of the name change occurring under the wing of an airlifted in CEO from Oklahoma is pretty disgusting. Enough that I still presume I'll stay away for awhile even if another season even occurs. I think the league might stitch a season together but will need major bankrolling from TV contract just to stay somewhat afloat. Bad news for the league is the Eskimos can't play league financial savior anymore.

Lastly Football is decreasingly a big sell in this market. Multiculturally newer Canadians seem to naturally take to Hockey, but this is not the case with football, and especially with the CFL. Its a dead duck league. Only question is when.
I've spotted them in the same area that I've spotted Elk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad