Proposal: Edmonton-Calgary

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think either is really rebounding all that much, Neal is 32, Lucic is 31, they are about what they are.

I don't think either is chemistry wise a good fit with that specific team they're on either, that happens sometimes. Some players just don't work well with a certain combination of other players.

Neal didn't really work well or look comfortable with anyone in Calgary, ditto for Lucic in Edmonton.

So you actually think a trade of Neal for Looch THIS offseason is reasonable???

Yes or no???

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So you actually think a trade of Neal for Looch THIS offseason is reasonable???

Yes or no???

I will say this, I think Lucic would bring more to Calgary given their soft roster make up than what Neal brought last year and make them harder to play against in a playoff round.

Put him on a line with Bennett and Tkachuk and it's probably line that drives opponents batty because Tkachuk and Bennett can do their whole little dog and pony show and if anyone tries to clap back at them, they're gonna have big brother there to smash that player's face in.

And Neal maybe could bring more to Edmonton than what Lucic has brought, but that would have to be with RNH. Mooching points off McDavid is something Maroon or Chiasson or Kassian can do, so he'd have to be able to do it on the 2nd line with RNH as his center.

Neither one fits the roster they're on right now, they just don't have great chemistry with anyone.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I will say this, I think Lucic would bring more to Calgary given their soft roster make up than what Neal brought last year and make them harder to play against in a playoff round.

And Neal maybe could bring more to Edmonton than what Lucic has brought, but that would have to be with RNH. Mooching points off McDavid is something Maroon or Chiasson or Kassian can do, so he'd have to be able to do it on the 2nd line with RNH as his center.

Neither one fits the roster they're on right now, they just don't have great chemistry with anyone.

Stop avoiding the question.

Do you actually think a trade of Neal for Looch THIS offseason is reasonable???

Yes or no???

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stop avoiding the question.

Do you actually think a trade of Neal for Looch THIS offseason is reasonable???

Yes or no???

Yes I do think it's reasonable, and no I don't think Edmonton wins that trade nearly as much as people on this board think.

If Neal does not bounce back next season, then it's going to be harder to move his contract unless you are willing to do a ridiculous 6 year cap penalty on a buyout and that penalty bleeds into years where McDavid is 25/26/27 and you really don't want that.

I don't think either player wants to be where they are right now either.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Yes I do think it's reasonable, and no I don't think Edmonton wins that trade nearly as much as people on this board think.

If Neal does not bounce back next season, then it's going to be harder to move his contract unless you are willing to do a ridiculous 6 year cap penalty on a buyout.

Ok, thank you for verifying you are out of touch. Keep on dreaming my friend...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ok, thank you for verifying you are out of touch. Keep on dreaming my friend...

Because some on this board is so f***ing salty at the Oilers getting McDavid that there's a very clear bias.

Eberle sucks, has negative value ... oh except now he doesn't. Whoops.

Schultz sucks, no one would want him ... oh except now he doesn't.

Lucic is the worst contract on the planet ... except y'know Neal, Okposo, Eriksson, Ladd, etc. are fairly similar with similar contracts and none of those players bring anything to the game when they're not scoring (which they're not these days).

If Lucic had the same contract but was on the Sabres instead, no one would give one fart about it on this board.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because some on this board is so ****ing salty at the Oilers getting McDavid that there's a very clear bias.

Eberle sucks, has negative value ... oh except now he doesn't. Whoops.

Schultz sucks, no one would want him ... oh except now he doesn't.

Lucic is the worst contract on the planet ... except y'know Neal, Okposo, Eriksson, Ladd, etc. are fairly similar with similar contracts and none of those players bring anything to the game when they're not scoring (which they're not these days).

If Lucic had the same contract but was on the Sabres instead, no one would give one fart about it on this board.

And end scene...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The playoffs were not really a speed game though. Again as Tampa and Calgary found out the hard way, in the playoffs the pace of the game is basically the same as it was 3-4 years ago still.

All that fancy pants wide open skating and razzle dazzle hockey is nice to watch, but in the playoffs the refs do not want to call penalties and things change real quick when you are allowed to clutch/grab/elbow/smash players.

In the playoffs the refs basically tell the players they have to enforce their own crap.

In *that* situation, I'd rather have a Lucic on my roster than a James Neal. If that's gonna be how the game is played, then I'd rather have someone to hammer Zadorov through the boards for walloping Tkachuk than throw Neal over the boards to do a grand total of nothing.

Do you seriously think lucic has value in the playoffs? LMAO, the guy is barely functional in the regular season....

You are working too hard to sell lucic man ..give it up, there is no buyer...go sell ice to the Eskimos lol

Reactions: CF84 and Nanuuk

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you seriously think lucic has value in the playoffs? LMAO, the guy is barely functional in the regular season....

You are working too hard to sell lucic man ..give it up, there is no buyer...go sell ice to the Eskimos lol

He has more value in a playoff series than Neal does if he's not scoring.

The Flames almost certainly still lose that playoff round but they probably don't get embarrassed in quite the same way where Colorado was just basically laughing at their non-existant toughness and doing whatever they wanted to Gaudreau and Tkachuk with zero response from the Flames.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

The Flames almost certainly still lose that playoff round but they probably don't get embarrassed in quite the same way where Colorado was just basically laughing at their non-existant toughness and doing whatever they wanted to Gaudreau and Tkachuk with zero response from the Flames.
No thanks you can keep him for your next playoff run.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

They were outskated by McKinnon and company.

They didn't lose because the aves out tough them.....the aves best player performed better..shit happened...the flames were burned out before the playoff started...

Now go sell lucic to someone else please...he would need a motor on his skates to play in the playoffs

93oilerfan93

Apr 2, 2018
FYI louis Eriksson has a $4.0 million signing bonus for july 15th

So there could be a small chance that maybe just maybe the oilers and canucks are waiting on the signing bonus

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They were outskated by McKinnon and company.

They didn't lose because the aves out tough them.....the aves best player performed better..**** happened...the flames were burned out before the playoff started...

Now go sell lucic to someone else please...he would need a motor on his skates to play in the playoffs

Funny how the series turned when Zadorov walloped Tkachuk and then every Avs player realized they could what ever they wanted to Gaudreau without reprisal.

I think that book is out on the Gaudreau-era Flames, you play them that way and they cannot handle it.

Same thing happened to them in the previous Anaheim series. They get bullied right out of the playoffs.

You can't be that soft IMO, they are way too butter soft, refs are simply not going to make the kinds of calls you get in a regular season.

It's why they wanted Kadri pretty badly I take it, but he nixed that, so that's that.

It's one thing I would caution Toronto too about ... they are getting a bit too soft as well. Talented yes, but they could have some issues in the playoffs too.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I’ve shot this down ad nauseam. Most teams that went 7-3-1 couldn’t even use all 7 spots effectively. That’s how guys like Phil DiGiuseppe, Mark Letestu, Antoine Vermette, Jordan Martinook, Ryan Spooner, Tyler Ennis, Curtis Lazar, Tomas Jurco, Rocco Grimaldi, Scott Hartnell, Brett Ritchie, Zack Smith, Scott Laughton, Jannik Hansen, Ryan Reaves, Matt Martin, Markus Granlund, and Joel Armia ended up protected.

If a team is going to go 8 skaters then sure you don’t want a NMC tying up your forwards but given that most teams went 7-3-1, losing a slightly better third liner or 4/5 defenceman is nothing to lose sleep over and that 7th forward spot isn’t going toward protecting anyone worth a damn in most cases anyway. Everyone has to lose someone they’d otherwise rather not, and there’s always the ability to negotiate.
You're presuming Lucic will play for a non competing team.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lucic is from vancouver, he's already made it known he'd like to go home, seattle is close to vancouver, he would waive to go to seattle so the NMC i can 99% say won't be an issue but Seattle will more than likely not pick him up as in the league nobody take on bad contracts for free, so he'll waive, besides that will be part of any trade with any team if lucic gets traded

People are making to big a deal of the NMC, I'd get it if it was an eastern expansion team but its seattle its right beside were he wants to go lol
It takes longer to get to Vancouver from Seattle than Edmonton, with the border.

Playing in Seattle would mean accepting playing for a non competing team.

There's a lot of speculation in this thread about lucic's intentions, when nobody here knows anything.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It takes longer to get to Vancouver from Seattle than Edmonton, with the border.

Playing in Seattle would mean accepting playing for a non competing team.

There's a lot of speculation in this thread about lucic's intentions, when nobody here knows anything.

I think Seattle is actually more attractive. Sure you want to be close to the family, but a little buffer room isn't bad either, it's a nothing flight or a reasonable drive if a family member wants to come by.

In Seattle you can go out to a club/pub/movie theater/grocery store and not get harassed or noticed.

And Vegas has made expansion teams "sexy" all of the sudden. Seattle is a very nice city.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think Seattle is actually more attractive. Sure you want to be close to the family, but a little buffer room isn't bad either, it's a nothing flight or a reasonable drive if a family member wants to come by.

In Seattle you can go out to a club/pub/movie theater/grocery store and not get harassed or noticed.

And Vegas has made expansion teams "sexy" all of the sudden. Seattle is a very nice city.
Seattle is a very sports orientated City. A professional athlete won't remain anonymous there for long, particularly one as distinct looking as Lucic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Seattle is a very sports orientated City. A professional athlete won't remain anonymous there for long, particularly one as distinct looking as Lucic.

It's the US, no one gives that much of a crap about a hockey player especially in a market where largely the team is going to be unknown for some time. He'd definitely would enjoy more breathing room in Seattle versus Vancouver.

To be honest if I was a hockey player, I wouldn't really be crazy about playing in Canada for that reason primarily, aside from the weather. Not being able to do things like going to a movie theater without being stopped or something would drive me nuts.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's the US, no one gives that much of a crap about a hockey player especially in a market where largely the team is going to be unknown for some time. He'd definitely would enjoy more breathing room in Seattle versus Vancouver.

To be honest if I was a hockey player, I wouldn't really be crazy about playing in Canada for that reason primarily, aside from the weather. Not being able to do things like going to a movie theater without being stopped or something would drive me nuts.
Seattle is very into obscure sports. Their MLS team was a huge hit.

Also, if Lucic wanted to play in a low key market, why for he sign in Edmonton in the first place?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Seattle is very into obscure sports. Their MLS team was a huge hit.

Also, if Lucic wanted to play in a low key market, why for he sign in Edmonton in the first place?

Because he thought he was going to be riding the McGravy train for the next 6 years and because Chiarelli was there.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I mean they are both bad but imagine thinking Lucic has more value than Neal lol. Even the most irrational of Oilers fans generally admit he has the worst contract in the league

the athletic did a story on top 10 best and worst contracts. Lucic came in at 5th worse. Neal was an honorable mention so he was around 11 to 13th worst. They are both bad contracts and this trade is extremely unlikely. Umlike Flames fans, Oiler fans seem to have come to grips with how bad Lucic contract is. There still seems to be some laughable hope that Neal can return to form.

Here is some reality - 32 year old power forwards who are rapidly declining even though healthy, do not ever get better. They get worse.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Because some on this board is so ****ing salty at the Oilers getting McDavid that there's a very clear bias.

Junohockeyfan is famous for saying a lot of shit that just doesn’t compute. These are just more examples.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Funny how the series turned when Zadorov walloped Tkachuk and then every Avs player realized they could what ever they wanted to Gaudreau without reprisal.

I think that book is out on the Gaudreau-era Flames, you play them that way and they cannot handle it.

Same thing happened to them in the previous Anaheim series. They get bullied right out of the playoffs.

You can't be that soft IMO, they are way too butter soft, refs are simply not going to make the kinds of calls you get in a regular season.

It's why they wanted Kadri pretty badly I take it, but he nixed that, so that's that.

It's one thing I would caution Toronto too about ... they are getting a bit too soft as well. Talented yes, but they could have some issues in the playoffs too.
That is a big mis-diagnosis of what happened in the playoffs. In the last game Gaudreau realized that he could play without fishing for penalties and was able to put together 3 breakaways and was great. That Anaheim series also had a different cast that surrounded them. Gritty guys don't come in at 6 mil, guys like Hathaway who we lost can come in for 1.5. In no way does thinking we aren't tough enough lead to trying to get Lucic, if anything we'd go our and pick up someone like Prout.

But either way, yeah. This is just a bad way to look at what happened. We were our skated and didn't put in enough effort until the last game where we were sacrificing defence and had weak goaltending. To think we got outmuscled by MacKinnon and their top guys is silly, we just got outplayed.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Junohockeyfan is famous for saying a lot of **** that just doesn’t compute. These are just more examples.
Excuse my bout how the f*** is saying Lucic isn't as good as Neal and isn't worth the same, let alone more in a deal than Neal doesn't compute? I think you gotta check yourself actually.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Excuse my bout how the **** is saying Lucic isn't as good as Neal and isn't worth the same, let alone more in a deal than Neal doesn't compute? I think you gotta check yourself actually.

You haven’t been reading the thread if you think that’s all that’s been said.

Reactions: Darkwinter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad