Proposal: Edmonton-Calgary

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Funny how the series turned when Zadorov walloped Tkachuk and then every Avs player realized they could what ever they wanted to Gaudreau without reprisal.

I think that book is out on the Gaudreau-era Flames, you play them that way and they cannot handle it.

Same thing happened to them in the previous Anaheim series. They get bullied right out of the playoffs.

You can't be that soft IMO, they are way too butter soft, refs are simply not going to make the kinds of calls you get in a regular season.

It's why they wanted Kadri pretty badly I take it, but he nixed that, so that's that.

It's one thing I would caution Toronto too about ... they are getting a bit too soft as well. Talented yes, but they could have some issues in the playoffs too.

Someone has a narrative to push and they are sticking with it. The Flames biggest problem was they got outskated by Colorado for a lot of the series. Nothing to do with soft/tough.

And the Flames looked great in that Anaheim series with the exception of goaltending, so not sure how you are going to push the "bullied" card there

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I've said it once and I'll say it again to Oilers fans:

-Noone wants your trash.
-You have 3 forwards and 3 defensemen who have any value. Most of your other players have negative value.
-If you want to make a realistic offer please include one of your 6 NHL caliber players or a draft pick please.

Reactions: Flamesgod

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Seattle is very into obscure sports. Their MLS team was a huge hit.

Also, if Lucic wanted to play in a low key market, why for he sign in Edmonton in the first place?

Lucic wanted to be as close as possible to Vancouver... and yeah Seattle is the closest thing to Vancouver out there.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
1.) I don't think that's the case, McDavid has a bonus due on 17th July, that's probably where Stauffer got confused, Lucic's bonus is July 1. Even if it isn't that's a whopping 4 days away, whoopity doo.

2.) Buying out either is not ideal. It's a cap penality for 3-4 additional years depending on when you do it.

I think both teams have to look at other avenues. Salary retention + giving up a pick makes far more sense, especially given Lucic's front loaded + bonus laden contract.

I think both Lucic and Neal will be dumped next summer and both teams will have to retain salary to do so.

1) I agree that his bonus is only 4 days away is no big deal . My point was it could be a reason he hasn’t been traded yet .

2) Again I agree . I hate buy outs as the double the term . I would rather retain . For me if the Canucks are interested in Lucic and can move be Eriksson in another deal I rather retain 50% and have him gone . Sign Maroon at 1.5 to 2 million gain 1 to 1.5 million in cap . Go sign a 3rd line C . Would leave enough for bonuses

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
Benson RNH Puljujarvi his agent is saying he never said he would play in Edmonton
Mix and match our 4 million bottom 6 players .

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Calgary

Milan Lucic $6.0 AAV 4 years, (MO $16 Million)
Brandon manning $2.25 AAV 1 year (MO $2 Million)
3rd round pick 2020

giphy.gif

Reactions: CF84

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
the athletic did a story on top 10 best and worst contracts. Lucic came in at 5th worse. Neal was an honorable mention so he was around 11 to 13th worst. They are both bad contracts and this trade is extremely unlikely. Umlike Flames fans, Oiler fans seem to have come to grips with how bad Lucic contract is. There still seems to be some laughable hope that Neal can return to form.

Here is some reality - 32 year old power forwards who are rapidly declining even though healthy, do not ever get better. They get worse.

I don’t expect Neal to get better at all. That doesn’t mean he’s worth less than Lucic though. I think most rational Flames fans will agree that he’s terrible

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Putting Lucic on the ice for the Flames changes nothing. He doesn't prevent a single Av from taking so-called libreties, he doesn't change the way the Avs play in any way. The only way he possibly changes the outcome is the Avs win by more skating around his useless plug of a body to score easier goals than they did with Neal out there.

Lucic based on his "ability" is a healthy scratch if put on Calgary. He might be able to play because of his contract and GMs/coaches still being stupid about that but if it was based on ability he is not close to good enough to make the team with how god awful he is now. And that has nothing to do with any BS about him being on Edmonton instead of Buffalo, it has to do with the fact that he absolutely sucks at hockey at this point in his career and offers nothing positve to a hockey team.

A Flames-Oilers deal makes little to no sense as they have a lot of the same issues. Both want to move salary out, both want to add to their top 6. Yes Edmonton has more needs but those aren't going to be filled by Calgary.

Frolik would be a good fit on Edmonton, but they aren't taking that salary on with nothing going back and they have nothing that makes sense to trade back.

The only play that makes sense for the Flames to take back in a Bennett deal would be RNH, but that is a much bigger deal and no way the Oilers can give up RNH especially if the Bennett is the key piece and the Flames aren't giving up much more than Bennett in a deal like that.

There does seem to be a lot of smoke, and although Stauffer is a blowhard with zero knowledge of the game, he definitely has sources in the Oilers organization and definitely carries water for the team. Him pumping up Bennett know could easily be a move to prep Oiler fans for a trade involving him or it could just be Bob rambling in the off-season because he is a fool.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Calgary

Milan Lucic $6.0 AAV 4 years, (MO $16 Million)
Brandon manning $2.25 AAV 1 year (MO $2 Million)
3rd round pick 2020

Edmonton

James Neal $5.75 AAV 4 years, (MO $23 million)
Michael stone $3.5 AAV 1 year (MO $3.5 Million)

Oilers AAV= $9.25 MO=$26.5

Flames MO= $18.0 Million
(After manning is sent down)
AAV=$7.175

Flames save just over $2.27 million AAV
and save $8.5 Million in Real dollars

Notes

NMC of Lucic would have to be agreed that hed waive it when expansion draft comes in

Oilers would probably for cap reason and roster reason would have to flip Matt Benning in a separate deal. Looking at getting that 3rd back in another deal with matt benning

Curious as to what puljujärvi+Benning could get us?

Klefbom larsson
Nurse russel
Jones stone
Bear persson
Bouchard

Not sure about the flames defense combos, would they still trade Brodie?

Giordano andersson
Valamaki hamonic
Hanafin brodie
Klyington
If this is the thread you are talking about... You didn't call anything lol and I say False on that OEL Speculation

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
If this is the thread you are talking about... You didn't call anything lol and I say False on that OEL Speculation
Well Manning and Stone weren't involved but he got the Lucic for Neal + 3rd part right. Although I'd consider this speculating more than actually 'calling' it.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

The speculation tag on his other post has been changed to value of. He has no insider info. Brings up OEL after it’s been mentioned for weeks and discussed in multiple posts already and acts like he’s breaking some shocking news. He will be in the ignore list when this trade as posted doesn’t happen by the draft

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Uh, yeah, this definitely doesn’t seem to be “calling” the Lucic/Neal trade.
Not to support or refute the posters claim but how often do the "insiders" nail every piece involved in a trade?
I won't do the research but will go out on a limb and say it's a rare occurrence.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Not to support or refute the posters claim but how often do the "insiders" nail every piece involved in a trade?
I won't do the research but will go out on a limb and say it's a rare occurrence.
That isn't really the point though. It's the wording this reads like nothing more than any other proposal on here and never once did I see did he claim this was based on any insider info. Seems like he got lucky and now trying to make it seem like it was something more than that.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
That isn't really the point though. It's the wording this reads like nothing more than any other proposal on here and never once did I see did he claim this was based on any insider info. Seems like he got lucky and now trying to make it seem like it was something more than that.
That's quite possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad