Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Tyson Barrie signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3.75M)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Boy that sure has ruined Canucks fans ridiculous "hurr durr no one wants to be in Alberta" lies.

It's funny, the vocally loudest ones bashing Alberta as a Province have probably never left coastal BC because it's too expensive for them to travel around Canada with the ridiculous rent/mortgages and wages for normal upper middle class professional people are making far less living in smaller homes/forced to live in apartments and surrounded by homelessness and human filth everywhere in DT Van.

Holy f*** man, relax with the inferiority complex.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
if you took a closer look at most defensive metrics, you would see that the Leafs were middle of the pack in most categories this year and improved significantly after Keefe took over.
But let's continue to just use the stat that is heavily influenced by goaltending :dunno:

If you go by "most defensive metrics" the Leafs were about on par with the Oilers this year, which is why it's weird to smack talk the Oilers for being stat padders who don't care about defense.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Our forwards sucked. Not our defense. You do realize that there’s 4 players on the ice at all times who aren’t dmen right?
You expect him to know that?

He can't even look up stats.

"Worst goals against average last year"

Toronto - 6th worst.
Edmonton - 17th worst.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You can’t call the Oilers defence trash and then cherry pick stats when your team had worse numbers. Don’t take shots when you have no leg to stand on.

First, Barrie is a decent D-man, if you play him within his limitations, and for the price, I think it's a great signing, for both the Oilers, and Barrie. As has been said, he isn't very good defensively, but he will be very good offensively for you guys, and should help with breakout passes, and the PP, with McDavid and Drai... I think it's a good signing... plus, Barrie will have a high point total after this year, and leverage it to a very good contract going forward. Smart on both sides, motivated player, good offensively will help score goals.

If we take a look at Leafs stats... Hutch killed the Leafs team stats in totality. Andersen had a 2.85 GAA, Campbell 2.69 GAA Hutch, who was terrible for us, was 3.66 dragging team numbers down.

Smith and Koskinen were 2.95 and 2.75 GAA.

Neither team were very good, but let's dispense with the idea that other posters suggested Oilers were "miles ahead of the Leafs".

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Some Leafs fans are really painting the fanbase in an extremely bad light. Like lover scorn who can't get over the fact that the other side moved on. I remember when they ran Larry Murphy out of the town because he was terrible, couldn't defend etc. Then he ends up in Detroit, helps Lidas grow his game and becomes an instrumental part of their Cup runs.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
I hope the Oil remember to significantly insulate Barrie, cuz there's little more that I enjoyed last season (being a Habs fan) than watching Barrie leave Anderson and his multiple D partners (and the forwards on the ice, for that matter) out to dry on a regular basis...you need to fix your D and instead offer Barrie more than he's worth (at the moment, anyway)...the Oil need a bigger, nastier D that is far better defensively...this'll certainly aide in scoring but will also hurt you defensively, which is the Oil's biggest need...can't say I like it

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I hope the Oil remember to significantly insulate Barrie, cuz there's little more that I enjoyed last season (being a Habs fan) than watching Barrie leave Anderson and his multiple D partners (and the forwards on the ice, for that matter) out to dry on a regular basis...you need to fix your D and instead offer Barrie more than he's worth (at the moment, anyway)...the Oil need a bigger, nastier D that is far better defensively...this'll certainly aide in scoring but will also hurt you defensively, which is the Oil's biggest need...can't say I like it
I think we learned our lesson with Schultz.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

It'll be a little tough with the injury to Klefbom because they don't really have an ideal partner for him otherwise, but he'll likely be playing 2nd/3rd level competition since Tipp uses Nurse and Bear against top competition as much as possible.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Tyson Barrie is a great offensive D man and given that role will excel. At under 4 million he is a great addition to the club.

The issue is he needs a shutdown LHD to stay back and make the safe plays to protect him. Muzzin was that on the TML unfortunately we didn’t pair them much which is what we should have done. As for who he plays with him, Klefbom would have been good but obviously his injury creates doubt about who can protect Barrie.

Barrie is looking for a payday no question and by choosing the Oilers somebody is gonna look at his offensive numbers and may give him that. I think the GM’s around the league know what he is and will not offer anything more than 5.5-6 million per gown the current cap situation. Petry is the better D man and similar offensive numbers and this is where he slotted.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
A thread involving the Oilers signing an ex-leaf....i forsee this thread being around for a looong time and many necro bumps.

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Tyson Barrie is a great offensive D man and given that role will excel. At under 4 million he is a great addition to the club.

The issue is he needs a shutdown LHD to stay back and make the safe plays to protect him. Muzzin was that on the TML unfortunately we didn’t pair them much which is what we should have done. As for who he plays with him, Klefbom would have been good but obviously his injury creates doubt about who can protect Barrie.

Barrie is looking for a payday no question and by choosing the Oilers somebody is gonna look at his offensive numbers and may give him that. I think the GM’s around the league know what he is and will not offer anything more than 5.5-6 million per gown the current cap situation. Petry is the better D man and similar offensive numbers and this is where he slotted.
Take a look at who was "sheltering" Barrie during his good years in Colorado. Elite defensemen like Patrick Nemeth, Francois Beauchemin, Nikita Zadorov. He doesn't fill Edmonton's biggest need, but defensemen that can get the puck out and up to the forwards efficiently is absolutely something that Edmonton needs, at at less than $4 million for a single year, there's minimal risk. That's low-end 2nd pairing defenseman money and that's basically the floor for Barrie's play. I don't think Edmonton's power play is going to be as good as last year's (not ruling it out, but it's hard to improve on nearly 30% success) but he's a huge asset on it.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
a 0.886 SV% from your backup will do that sometimes

It is okay.

This is all a process.

When your teams sucks defensively you first look at PDO to blame........it has to be "bad luck". No way we are this bad.

After that idea falls apart......you then look at goalie sv% and it just has to be because your teams goalie sucks......cannot be the team.

Then after many years of continually being terrible you have to come to the conclusion that guys like Marincin, Ceci, Holl are not exactly getting the job done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad