Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Tyson Barrie signs with the Oilers (1 year, $3.75M)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
As a leafs fan i know what a crap defense looks like. If Barrie can help the oilers d, it says more about how bad it is relative to the leafs
He's being asked to create offense, not shut down the opposing top players.

FYI the Oilers were 15th overall in GA per game last season and allowed fewer goals than the Leafs.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The more I look at this deal, the less I can find fault with it.

I think I was just projecting from the thought of Benning giving the farm up to sign this guy.

I hope Barrie can return to form, every night, except when he's playing the Canucks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's because the Leafs had Barrie costing them every night

So why wasn't Colorado in the bottom 5 in GA with Barrie the previous two years?

Maybe the Leafs golden boys don't put in enough effort playing defence as a whole. The Leafs have been trending downwards in GA league rankings for three straight years, you can't blame that all on Barrie.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
So why wasn't Colorado in the bottom 5 in GA with Barrie the previous two years?

Maybe the Leafs golden boys don't put in enough effort playing defence as a whole. The Leafs have been trending downwards in GA league rankings for three straight years, you can't blame that all on Barrie.

I'm just amazed people can't seem to grasp the concept that all 5 guys on the ice defend and attack. These aren't the 1950s. If your forwards don't track back you could have Rod Langway and Serge Savard back there and still get violated every shift.

Reactions: DropTheGloves

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm just amazed people can't seem to grasp the concept that all 5 guys on the ice defend and attack. These aren't the 1950s. If your forwards don't track back you could have Rod Langway and Serge Savard back there and still get violated every shift.
They be comparing it to 4 on 4 roller hockey.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why wouldn't we just resign him at that price

Moe TJ
Muzzin Barrie

Damn....not all the fans were against you Barrie..
He didn’t want to come back. Bad fit. Playing behind Reilly is not ideal for a player like Barrie.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
We are 28 pages into this thread, and Leafs fans still can't seem to grasp why the Oilers brought Barrie in...

Can another fan base explain this to them? Just make sure you take it slow

Don't lump all fans of a team into one group; It is possible for people with a common interest to have their own opinion. But worse it seems your post had only one intention and that was to take a shot at all Leafs fans. Pretty weak.

Reactions: BayStBullies

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
You're right. On the Leafs he should have been sitting in the stands instead of playing on the 3rd pairing. Only Dubas' pride kept him in the lineup. Even the D Leaf fans have joked about (Lumme, Berg, etc.) were much better defensively.

Or you could just admit you don't know how lineups are set. Hint, it isn't the GM who decides who is dressed and who sits.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Don't lump all fans of a team into one group; It is possible for people with a common interest to have their own opinion. But worse it seems your post had only one intention and that was to take a shot at all Leafs fans. Pretty weak.
Look through the thread bud, 90%+ of the Leafs fans in here are bashing and laughing at the signing.

Don't pretend like it's just a handful of them.

Quite frankly, it's almost like they are a bunch of Oilers "haters".

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Look through the thread bud, 90%+ of the Leafs fans in here are bashing and laughing at the signing.

Don't pretend like it's just a handful of them.

Quite frankly, it's almost like they are a bunch of Oilers "haters".
Im not an oilers hater. Id gladly give props to players there who are great.
With Barrie though, I watched in horror what damage he could do. Fast skater and hard shot but he is a sieve defensively. You cant put lipstick on a pig and say it isnt a pig. Better to dress a strong forward as d if you dont care for d.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
With Barrie though, I watched in horror what damage he could do. Fast skater and hard shot but he is a sieve defensively. You cant put lipstick on a pig and say it isnt a pig. Better to dress a strong forward as d if you dont care for d.
So bad he was a +10 under keefe while being on the ice for 47 goals for, and playing 18 minutes a game at 5on5.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'll take your word for it 67, great reputation around here.

The "hater" comment was a joke btw. Toronto fans call everyone a hater if they say anything negative about the Leafs, hypocrisy at it's finest.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Boy that sure has ruined Canucks fans ridiculous "hurr durr no one wants to be in Alberta" lies.

It's funny, the vocally loudest ones bashing Alberta as a Province have probably never left coastal BC because it's too expensive for them to travel around Canada with the ridiculous rent/mortgages and wages for normal upper middle class professional people are making far less living in smaller homes/forced to live in apartments and surrounded by homelessness and human filth everywhere in DT Van.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
More like Babcock costing them every night. Barrie looked good under O'Keefe
Uh, no, he did not look "good" he was a massive liability every stretch of the season. His stat line looked good under Keefe, sure. Definitely not his play.

I wouldn't even want Barrie back long-term at this cap hit. One of the worst defensive players in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad