Proposal: Edm/Tor

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Try to follow? Gee sorry....tell you what, maybe explain to me why, if the Leafs are looking for nothing but cap space, they are doing by moving one of their best bang for the buck contracts? Wouldn't they be smarter to look at moving Nylander's 7 million? Or Zaitsev? Or Brown? Or Marleau?

Maybe we better look at trading Rielly? I mean cap space and all....

Try to follow indeed. These stupid "we'll gives the Leafs craps because they needs caps derpity derp!!", threads are getting old.

As the other post mentioned, garbage contracts that no team wants...

• Nylander. $8.3M signing bonus to start of next season. Carries a $6.9M cap hit for another 5 seasons. Nearly half of the entire contract would have been paid before he begins the next season. He already earned $20.3M to play 54 games ($376,000 per game). Terrible now, approx. 60% of the remaining seasons are paid in Signing Bonuses to ensure it's lockout and buyout proof. There is little motivation with most of the salary is already paid before the season.
  • Zaitsev. $4.5M for another 5 seasons. After a terrible season, there is a negative value.
  • Brown, $2.5M salary. There is really no reason to trade him for such a small amount. He will be under team control being a RFA. Try a little research.
  • Marleau. $6.25M final season. NMC clause and +35, so it's buyout proof. He publicly announced there no intention to waive. Can't buyout being over 35+, there is no cap relief.
Teams are waiting for the fire sale with $4.5M available. Marner, KK and Johnnson need deals. So it's not crap offers, no team is going to help the Leafs solve their Cap problems unless there is a significant offer.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
You guys are all nuts if you think the leafs are giving up a player of kadris caliber at his salary for the 8th pick.
What are the odds that the 8th even becomes an nhl regular. Let alone a good one
Kadris caliber? Typical leafs fan comically overrating your players (Matthews is better than McDavid right?).
Oilers picked 10th last year, that 10th pick had the highest points by a dman in the OHL in over a decade, was the MVP of the London Knights this year and led the entire league in playoff scoring. Evan Bouchard is going to be a premier blue-liner in the NHL for the next 15 years. "The odds that the 8th becomes an NHL regular" is pretty high, considering the majority of top 10 picks in the last decade did exactly that.

I wouldn't trade 20th overall for that overrated rascal any day of the week, let alone the 8th lmao

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

• Nylander. $8.3M signing bonus to start of next season. Carries a $6.9M cap hit for another 5 seasons. Nearly half of the entire contract would have been paid before he begins the next season. He already earned $20.3M to play 54 games ($376,000 per game). Terrible now, approx. 60% of the remaining seasons are paid in Signing Bonuses to ensure it's lockout and buyout proof. There is little motivation with most of the salary is already paid before the season.
  • Zaitsev. $4.5M for another 5 seasons. After a terrible season, there is a negative value.
  • Brown, $2.5M salary. There is really no reason to trade him for such a small amount. He will be under team control being a RFA. Try a little research.
  • Marleau. $6.25M final season. NMC clause and +35, so it's buyout proof. He publicly announced there no intention to waive. Can't buyout being over 35+, there is no cap relief.
Teams are waiting for the fire sale with $4.5M available. Marner, KK and Johnnson need deals. So it's not crap offers, no team is going to help the Leafs solve their Cap problems unless there is a significant offer.
The fact that most of Mylander's salary is paid before next seasin is what nakes that contract desirable to cash budget teams....come on man, you know this. Or consider this....after Markeau's bonuses, he is owed a mere 1.25 this season....so maybe we sweeten a deal with Otrawa, who has a ton of cap?

My point is, the Leafs will not be gift wrapping a player/contract like Kadri to anybody for crap under the guise of "helping the Leafs with their cap".

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Nobody is taking Zaitsev or Marleau off Toronto’s hands without heavy compensation for doing so. Nylander’s value is at an all time low after his contract holdout, poor season, and downright bad playoffs, and you can’t assume that you wouldn’t have to take cap back. Brown’s not bringing back much of a return and moving him isnt clearing much cap anyway.

That’s why Johnsson or Kapanen make sense - their values are high, their next contracts won’t be crazy for the team getting them, and you could conceivably move them for pure futures without having to take cap back.

You’re in the exact same boat the Oilers are in, just a couple more nice pieces - nobody wants what you’re willing to move, and nobody wants to take the high dollar contracts without sending money back your way.
Johnsson and Kap's values are high? You sure as Hell can't tell by the offers on this site.:laugh:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The fact that most of Mylander's salary is paid before next seasin is what nakes that contract desirable to cash budget teams....come on man, you know this. Or consider this....after Markeau's bonuses, he is owed a mere 1.25 this season....so maybe we sweeten a deal with Otrawa, who has a ton of cap?

My point is, the Leafs will not be gift wrapping a player/contract like Kadri to anybody for crap under the guise of "helping the Leafs with their cap".

Leafs would need to shed salaries to resign their players. Gift wrapping will be their desperate attempts to make this work.

Nylander won’t be traded. Optics look terrible. Convincing a young player to sign long-term and dump him less than a year later? Future negotiations on players will demand NTC/NMC.

Kadri just makes the most sense for picks/prospects.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs would need to shed salaries to resign their players. Gift wrapping will be their desperate attempts to make this work.

Nylander won’t be traded. Optics look terrible. Convincing a young player to sign long-term and dump him less than a year later? Future negotiations on players will demand NTC/NMC.

Kadri just makes the most sense for picks/prospects.
Nylander coukdn't demand a NMC..nor could Matthews.....nor can Marner, again....you know this.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nylander coukdn't demand a NMC..nor could Matthews.....nor can Marner, again....you know this.

Tavares? Marleau? Kadri? They all have NTC or NMC.

AM and WM instead received ridiculous annual upfront signing bonuses to ensure the contract is lockout and buyout proof. Few teams can afford to pay or have the cap space to absorb their deals.

I’m sure you knew this?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Kadris caliber? Typical leafs fan comically overrating your players (Matthews is better than McDavid right?).
Oilers picked 10th last year, that 10th pick had the highest points by a dman in the OHL in over a decade, was the MVP of the London Knights this year and led the entire league in playoff scoring. Evan Bouchard is going to be a premier blue-liner in the NHL for the next 15 years. "The odds that the 8th becomes an NHL regular" is pretty high, considering the majority of top 10 picks in the last decade did exactly that.

I wouldn't trade 20th overall for that overrated rascal any day of the week, let alone the 8th lmao
I don't think you actually looked.
Go back over the last 10 years and check how many players in the 7-10 range have actually panned out.
You will be surprised.
Counting Bouchard as a success story already is completely ridiculous. He has done nothing. Don't forget that Griffin Reinhart was also quite dominant in juniors.
He suffered from the same thing that Bouchard currently struggles with; the inability to skate at the NHL level.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Tavares? Marleau? Kadri? They all have NTC or NMC.

AM and WM instead received ridiculous annual upfront signing bonuses to ensure the contract is lockout and buyout proof. Few teams can afford to pay or have the cap space to absorb their deals.

I’m sure you knew this?
You don't think teams can absorb a 7 million dollar cap with much less in actual cash (Nylander)? Huh....and here i'm seeing folks thinking Subban at 9 million is going to get looks from multiple teams.

I get it, folks love to think of the Leafs getting screwed....it's all good, whatever makes your boat float. The Leafs have a whole department dedicated to the cap...pretty sure they will figure it out. I'm also faily confident that they won't jettison players like Kadri for crap offers to gain cap.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You don't think teams can absorb a 7 million dollar cap with much less in actual cash (Nylander)? Huh....and here i'm seeing folks thinking Subban at 9 million is going to get looks from multiple teams.

I get it, folks love to think of the Leafs getting screwed....it's all good, whatever makes your boat float. The Leafs have a whole department dedicated to the cap...pretty sure they will figure it out. I'm also faily confident that they won't jettison players like Kadri for crap offers to gain cap.

Hope you realize if Leaf fans were the GM, there would never be a trade deal which hurts the team more than dumping salaries.

:popcorn:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
8th overall from Edmonton for Kadri from Toronto

no from the oilers. IF he was 3 years younger and had more time on his contract, I would think about it but at 28 with 3 years left on his contract I might think about it

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
Where in my post did I say anything about rebuilding? I said trade Kadri for the 8th and use that to acquire a defenceman. Do you only see what you want to see?
I'm sick of these 'Leafs can get a D with the draft pick we trade for Kadri'

We'd just trade Kadri for D, Leafs don't exist to help other teams first.

If Leafs Nation wants something there will be infinite proposals on this board, I don't see any Leafs fans looking for a top ten pick, go figure.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I'm sick of these 'Leafs can get a D with the draft pick we trade for Kadri'

We'd just trade Kadri for D, Leafs don't exist to help other teams first.

If Leafs Nation wants something there will be infinite proposals on this board, I don't see any Leafs fans looking for a top ten pick, go figure.
You can be sick of it all you want. What happens if the team with the defenceman you are looking to acquire only wants picks and prospects.

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
You can be sick of it all you want. What happens if the team with the defenceman you are looking to acquire only wants picks and prospects.
Lol but Edmonton wants Kadri more than that defenseman....

It's an awful proposal.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Edmonton should want no part of trading 8 OA for Kadri. There will be plenty of solid prospects available at 8. They more than likely aren't competing for the Cup next year. So trading away the 8th pick makes no sense (unless a massive steal comes along).

I don't see any team within the top 15 wanting to trade their 1st round pick for Kadri. A couple of Leafs fans were trying to get the 4thOA for Kadri :)laugh:) from Colorado. The Av's would be better off trading their own 1st round if they wanted him that bad. There's no way Kadri is worth a top 10 pick.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Edmonton should want no part of trading 8 OA for Kadri. There will be plenty of solid prospects available at 8. They more than likely aren't competing for the Cup next year. So trading away the 8th pick makes no sense (unless a massive steal comes along).

I don't see any team within the top 15 wanting to trade their 1st round pick for Kadri. A couple of Leafs fans were trying to get the 4thOA for Kadri :)laugh:) from Colorado. The Av's would be better off trading their own 1st round if they wanted him that bad. There's no way Kadri is worth a top 10 pick.

The common rumour is:

Kadri

For

Barrie

Leaf fans believe they could get the 4th OA which is a joke.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

You think Nylander is a garbage contract!! f*** off!
Zaits can be moved with the addition of a 2nd round pick.
Then factor in we can move Johansson for a late 1st or add Brown and trade for a cheap RHD like Mayfield

or if we Bridge Marner for 7.5 x 4 we can do what ever we want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad