Proposal: Edm/Tor

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I can’t imagine Edmonton trades the pick for Nylander. He’s not playing well at the moment. Don’t see it. His value is not high right now.

Exact reason Edmonton would do it, you hope that 8th pick can turn into the Nylander of this year, a 50 point second line winger, let alone higher. Nylanders issue will be there’s only so much ice to go around now in Toronto, and there’s 3-4 people in front of him vying for it. With wing depth like Edmonton’s he’d have all the ice he wants in the world. Edmonton would have to trim so cap though

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Currently kadri is not worth the 8th overall selection but that does not mean the leafs have to trade him for anything less. Sure there's a bit of a cap crunch but kadri was a 7th overall himself way back when who has turned into a top 6 center who can play 200 ft. Edmonton should keep the cost controlled pick and Toronto should look to move someone other then kadri or nylander. Also kadri is still loved in Toronto despite two back to back suspensions.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Exact reason Edmonton would do it, you hope that 8th pick can turn into the Nylander of this year, a 50 point second line winger, let alone higher. Nylanders issue will be there’s only so much ice to go around now in Toronto, and there’s 3-4 people in front of him vying for it. With wing depth like Edmonton’s he’d have all the ice he wants in the world. Edmonton would have to trim so cap though

I don’t see it because Nylander is struggling. If he had a strong or even good year I could see it. He’s playing like ass right now. Why give up the 8th pick for him? I’m sure they could get a better player if they traded the pick. They could also keep the pick.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I don’t see it because Nylander is struggling. If he had a strong or even good year I could see it. He’s playing like ass right now. Why give up the 8th pick for him? I’m sure they could get a better player if they traded the pick. They could also keep the pick.
Nylander had a rough season but he's been good in the playoffs and has been physical. I've watched every game willy has played and there has been progression every year in different areas. I get why Edmonton would be a little put off by this years stats but in my opinion it's an outlier and not the norm moving forward. If I were dubas I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting full value for him.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Nylander had a rough season but he's been good in the playoffs and has been physical. I've watched every game willy has played and there has been progression every year in different areas. I get why Edmonton would be a little put off by this years stats but in my opinion it's an outlier and not the norm moving forward. If I were dubas I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting full value for him.

You think he’s been good in this series? Other than his goal in game 1, I don’t think he’s looked good at all.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You think he’s been good in this series? Other than his goal in game 1, I don’t think he’s looked good at all.
I didn't say he was great I said he's been good. He's playing center and has been on for 1 goal against i believe the entire series while centering the leafs two worst wingers in the offensive zone. He's been fine this series and has filled in for kadri well.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Nylander? Maybe. Kadri? **** no

Leafs would prefer for cap reasons that it was Nylander. But can Oilers take on that cap without sending money back?
IMO both players aren't worth 8th overall. Leafs are in a cap bind, without money being sent back, maybe a pick in the 20s and even a high second rounder might be the best offer.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Leafs would prefer for cap reasons that it was Nylander. But can Oilers take on that cap without sending money back?
IMO both players aren't worth 8th overall. Leafs are in a cap bind, without money being sent back, maybe a pick in the 20s and even a high second rounder might be the best offer.
With the need for centers around the league so high I don't believe either will be traded at a discount. Teams are always looking to get better and though the leafs do need to move cap this summer they have many different options or combination of players to choose from to do so.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The odds of that 8th pick developing into a player as goo as either of those Leafs guy is pretty small

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Larsson + Puljujavri + 2nd

Kapanen + Kadri

We aren't moving 8th with the potential of someone like Turcotte being available

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The odds of that 8th pick developing into a player as goo as either of those Leafs guy is pretty small

But the option for the Oilers is to spend 4.6m (Kadri money) on a UFA, or additional cap in a trade and keep their 8th overall, or in Nylanders case 7m AAV.
So the competition in a "no money coming back trade" are UFAs.
Leafs, Tampa, Sharks, Jets. Pens are all teams that need to shed cap. IMO there are going to "lots" of competent NHLer available very cheaply as these teams need to shed cap. Plus there are fewer teams that can just take on additional cap.
If the Leafs can't shed cap by July 1, they are in danger of having their RFAs "offer sheeted", and now more immediate cap decisions have to be made.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
No team paying a 1st for Kadri.
Not a top 10 pick, because he ain't a fit on any of those team. He's worth a mid-late first tho. He has 3 extra years at 4.5M and he's a capable 2nd line C. A team like Colorado, Dallas, Carolina, Nashville should be interested with their mid first round selection. Those teams are competing now and Kadri would be a good add imo.

Reactions: 4thline

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
If Nylander has a strong year the 8th doesn’t get him. Really this is the time to buy low on Nylander. He will bounce back and make people look like shit for offering garbage

Reactions: 4thline

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
You guys are all nuts if you think the leafs are giving up a player of kadris caliber at his salary for the 8th pick.
What are the odds that the 8th even becomes an nhl regular. Let alone a good one

Extremely high.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
The value isn't as bad as what most people here are suggesting.
Kadri is a very effective player and I'd argue that he'd be a 2nd line center on a few teams in the NHL. @4.5M Edmonton can easily take that salary on given how much the cap is expected to rise and 8th overall....

It's not 1st, 2nd or 3rd overall.
Going from 2016 and back...
Alexander Nylander
Jack Werenski
William Nylander
Rasmus Ristolanien
Derrick Pouliot
Sean Couterier
Alex Burmistrov
Scott Glennie
Mikkel Bodker
Zach Hammil
Peter Mueller
Devin Seteguchi
Alexander Picard
Brayden Coburn
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Pascal Leclaire
Nikkita Alexeyev
Taylor Pyatt
Mark Bell
Sergei Sampsonov

That's all the way back to 1997.
I'd argue that 8th overall is incredibly jinxed.
So much garbage here.
So many huge busts that never made it.
So many super hyped players.
I'd take Kadri for 3 years @ 4.5M so that we can keep Hopkins on the wing and not worry about not having a 3rd line center.

Reactions: Menzinger

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why do I care about 8th overall as a Leafs fan?

Why do Oilers fans want Kadri?

I don't get it.
If you can’t understand why either team would do this I don’t know what to say. Edmonton gets a 2C and the leafs would get the 8th overall pick which is good value for him which they could use to acquire a defenceman.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If you can’t understand why either team would do this I don’t know what to say. Edmonton gets a 2C and the leafs would get the 8th overall pick which is good value for him which they could use to acquire a defenceman.
He definitely would not be the 2C in Edmonton with McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH there.
If anything the Oilers should be packaging that pick up for help on defense

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He definitely would not be the 2C in Edmonton with McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH there.
If anything the Oilers should be packaging that pick up for help on defense
I get your point but just because he won’t be a 2C on Edmonton doesn’t mean he isn’t a 2C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad