Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
As an outsider this looks like a weird sequence.

When I saw Gagner to TB I thought it was a good pickup and an upgrade.... then Gagner + Crombeen to Phoenix for essentially a bag of pucks (most 5 rounders never make NHL) I'm confused. I thought Habs and Edm were going to make a trade (Gorges for Gagner)... after seeing this I'm glad it didn't happen.

Looks like Stevie Y wants to make a splash ... Thomas Vanek anyone, makes you a contender in my books.

We don't need forwards. Moving Teddy was addition by subtraction, even if you leave out the salary that was also freed up by the move. I'm not buying the Iggy rumors either - my guess is Fayne/Ehrhoff/Stralman.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I honestly don't see any roster changes from this point on. I can't see Yzerman throwing out 5million, multi-year deals on UFA's when we have to re-sign a lot of talent within the next few years.

EDIT: Annnndddd now he said he wants to make moves in FA. Lol. I could have sworn, just the other day, he said we were done.

Never a dull moment with him as our GM.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Read from bottom up.

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
--> Yzerman cont "I had to move cash and you have no idea how hard it is to move a contract right now.'' #tblightning

Yzerman "We are in position right now, whether it’s first in free agency to try and improve our team. In order to do that '' -->

Yzerman "We cleared out some cap space and cash to hopefully do something on July 1. If not on July 1, for the future.'' #tblightning

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
SY on Purcell "I love the guy, he’s a popular teammate, a really good guy and I think everybody - players coaches and management - '' -->

SY on Purcell "are going to miss him. But with some younger players coming in, we need to move out some money'' -->

SY on Purcell cont. "money to give us the opportunity to do other things and we had to move Teddy’s contract to do that'' #tblightning

Honestly, just thinking about this team, I respect it a lot more. I'd imagine other teams will do the same.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Obviously Erhoff and Niskanen would be on the radar for D-men, but does anyone else see a fit for Michael Cammalleri? Another vet with leadership experience up front that can score and mentor our youngsters? I'd be on board for the right price.

Not in a million years.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
We don't need forwards. Moving Teddy was addition by subtraction, even if you leave out the salary that was also freed up by the move. I'm not buying the Iggy rumors either - my guess is Fayne/Ehrhoff/Stralman.

Yeah we made room for Drouin and some of the other younger guys too without Purcell, Malone, & Crombeen

1 Stamkos
2 Palat
3 Killorn
4 Connolly
5 Paquette
6 Brown
7 Johnson
8 Filppula
9 Callahan
10 Thompson
11 Drouin
12 Panik
13 Kucherov

That group is a lot more manageable than before. Adding another forward would push one of these guys down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I honestly don't see any roster changes from this point on. I can't see Yzerman throwing out 5million, multi-year deals on UFA's when we have to re-sign a lot of talent within the next few years.

EDIT: Annnndddd now he said he wants to make moves in FA. Lol. I could have sworn, just the other day, he said we were done.

Never a dull moment with him as our GM.

This is kind of starting to smell like Yzerman made some headway with a UFA he didn't think he would realistically be able to obtain.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Just curious, by trading Purcell (and Gagner) is the intention to create a roster spot for Connolly or Drouin?

I understand Connolly is subject to waivers this year. If there isn't a spot for him in Tampa's lineup, we could use him in NJ. We can trade a D prospect to Tampa for him.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Purcell, Malone, Thompson and Crombeen gone. So we're aiming for zero vets aside from Stammer and Callahan next year? Going too far unless he has a big plan that we're all missing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What the hell is happening? We aren't in cap trouble where we need to make desperate moves like this. Sure Purcell overstayed his welcome but he knew how to put up points. Gagner would've been just as frustrating but he would've scored too. Linden Vey was traded for a 2nd round pick so how can these two have such awful value? I know he's younger and more cost controlled but he'll be lucky to put up the numbers of Purcell and Gagner.

I really hope we don't go after any FA forwards, would make no sense to move out 3 forwards for more forwards when we have plenty of internal ones who need minutes. Don't really want to go after any D either but wouldn't mind a Fayne or Stralman if it's a decent hit and term.

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
Personally I think we're missing the big plan.

Yzerman is not done yet.

I don't mind Crombeen and Purcell leaving. I liked having Nate on our team and will miss him but I'm willing to wait and see what develops.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
What the hell is happening? We aren't in cap trouble where we need to make desperate moves like this. Sure Purcell overstayed his welcome but he knew how to put up points. Gagner would've been just as frustrating but he would've scored too. Linden Vey was traded for a 2nd round pick so how can these two have such awful value? I know he's younger and more cost controlled but he'll be lucky to put up the numbers of Purcell and Gagner.

I really hope we don't go after any FA forwards, would make no sense to move out 3 forwards for more forwards when we have plenty of internal ones who need minutes. Don't really want to go after any D either but wouldn't mind a Fayne or Stralman if it's a decent hit and term.

I think anyone we put in the top 6 will put up more points than Purcell. Purcell got points because of the players he played with.

This cap clearing is big time to land something big and I think its going to happen fast.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
To anyone questioning Yzerman right now, you will be eating a hefty serving of crow by this time next week, methinks.

It's amazing how easy it is for people to go from "SFY is the greatest GM in Lightning history" to "What the **** whyzerman"

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To anyone questioning Yzerman right now, you will be eating a hefty serving of crow by this time next week, methinks.

It's amazing how easy it is for people to go from "SFY is the greatest GM in Lightning history" to "What the **** whyzerman"

No one's saying that - we just like Nate and didn't want to see him go, but it's an understandable move.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Earlier in the day I was proposing Purcell and Crombeen and a 2nd to Buffalo to get them to take salary. So I think Yzerman did well...needed to pay a third of a contract but didn't give up a 2nd to get a team to take on money.

In this day, you can't have players with bad contracts who aren't important parts of your team. And with all the NTC it limits who you can get rid of.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
This is kind of starting to smell like Yzerman made some headway with a UFA he didn't think he would realistically be able to obtain.

Thx a lot guys for gagner at a gr8 price.

My bet is on stevie y to go after Iginla or Niskanen. niskanen prob makes the most sense, a RHD that splays top 3. Maybe ehrhoff today draws enough attention ofteams lime Col and Edmon, that they are able to reasonably tgt niskanen now.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa

Heyyyyy now. I definitely had a "what if" scenario in my comment before I said I would go full Whyzerman. :laugh:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

We still believe in the Yzerplan, but you gotta admit that this is a whole lot of stuff to process in a short amount of time.

Plus...it's Nate. A fifth of the talent of Teddy Purcell and ten times more effort and heart. I'm gonna miss the guy.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

If he signs Iginla, Dan Boyle or Brian Boyle I'll be pissed and question him. We had a good run this season but we aren't in position to compete with Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA yet. In a couple of years sure but Boyle and Iginla will be too old to contribute much or retired.

I'm all for moving out pieces we don't need in Purcell/Crombeen but replacing them with 37/38 year olds is not the way to go. We have plenty of quality internal options I'd rather give a chance to.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
Wasn't specifically about you, though I've been waiting for you to call me out on this :laugh:

Haha you're absolutely right. Look back at like every trade (Downie, Conacher, other ones) and you will see me there as one of the first posts going, "WTF!!!!"

I seriously hope he doesn't throw out overpayments to UFA's, though. But hey, he usually goes with the under the radar signings. I honestly think he will play it safe and go with Fayne.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
If he signs Iginla, Dan Boyle or Brian Boyle I'll be pissed and question him. We had a good run this season but we aren't in position to compete with Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA yet. In a couple of years sure but Boyle and Iginla will be too old to contribute much or retired.

I'm all for moving out pieces we don't need in Purcell/Crombeen but replacing them with 37/38 year olds is not the way to go. We have plenty of quality internal options I'd rather give a chance to.

Any mentions of Iginla, Dan Boyle or Brian Boyle have been purely speculation. For all we know we have a handshake agreement with Fayne or Stralman for July 1st and wanted to have enough space for him, our other RFAs and a vet backup goalie without being right against the cap. You always want to leave some space just in case. You never know when you'll be able to move unnecessary contracts, so move them when you get the chance.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Just curious, by trading Purcell (and Gagner) is the intention to create a roster spot for Connolly or Drouin?

I understand Connolly is subject to waivers this year. If there isn't a spot for him in Tampa's lineup, we could use him in NJ. We can trade a D prospect to Tampa for him.

I believe there was a thread not too long ago in which some TBL fan(s) indicated interest in Larsson, but it resulted in a shouting match because one side "overrated their own prospect and underrated the other side's prospect" and vice versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad