Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
What I don't get is that we aren't that tight to the cap. Unless SY was trying to set the market low on cap dumps so teams like Boston/Pittsburgh/Chicago/NY would have a hard time moving salary and if they did it would affect their return then it makes sense.

I'm ok with the trade with us adding Crombeen it covers Gagner's retention mostly, frees up a roster spot and with Prospals buyout coming off next hear that's close to the retention as well. Would've liked to have given Gagner a look first to see if he would fit but I guess they don't want soft skilled forwards and want more rugged two way types.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
From afar I have long stated that SY is one of the best GM's in the game and the Draft and what he just did by moving $$ when it is very difficult to do to sign a specific FA (IMO), all the while creating roster spots for some of the very exciting young forwards in the organization is genius ... you guys are very lucky he is running your team.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Last year when he started, I'd agree completely.

After seeing what he was able to do when given the opportunity, I'd have to disagree.

He's an undrafted kid who I see in a lot of ways as being the next "MSL". Now yes, MSL and Johnny are two very different types of players (at least right now), but the point being that no one expected Marty to be anywhere near as good as he's become.

I know we all don't really like him anymore, me especially, but I've got this feeling we'll see Johnny get in the 60-75P ranges (at least once or twice).

It's a gut feeling, but then again I did just spend $200 on a Jersey with his name on it. :D
Think twice about buying a Jersey with a player's name on it! !

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
So much for seeing Gagner put on a Lightning jersey...not gonna see that one anytime soon.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
From the quoted article:

Something changed this past season, however. Young guns Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat burst onto the scene, and Purcell’s role diminished. Coach Jon Cooper, and even teammates like Valtteri Filppula, publicly asked Purcell to shoot more. He slipped to 12 goals in 81 games and tumbled to the fourth line. Purcell became expendable when the team identified other needs and off he went in the Sam Gagner deal.
He / they did?

Ted on SFY:
I give him all the credit in the world for giving me an opportunity five years ago to solidify myself as a regular NHL player on a good team,” Purcell said. “When I first broke into the league in L.A., I couldn’t find my role. I was up and down. I couldn’t find my confidence. So I’m very grateful for all the stuff that happened in Tampa. At the end of the day, it’s a business decision. They have young guys coming up, they were trying to shed some salary cap space and go after some defensemen. You can’t feel sorry for yourself.”

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seems Teddy's attitude is good. Sort of sad that he found his role in Tampa but then lost it again, and really lost it more because of his own play than because someone else overtook him.

All in all, I still feel like this was addition by subtraction. We're going to be a stronger team without him if he was going to play anything like he did last year.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Oiler fan coming in peace. I just wanted to say Purcell has been playing very well for us since the beginning of the season. I was worried from what you guys were saying about Purcell, almost reminding me of Penner, would make it less exciting for me to see him play, but he seems to have got a jolt getting a fresh start.

Hope the 'addition by subtraction' as a post above said is still working out for you guys (no sarcasm).:handclap:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Oiler fan coming in peace. I just wanted to say Purcell has been playing very well for us since the beginning of the season. I was worried from what you guys were saying about Purcell, almost reminding me of Penner, would make it less exciting for me to see him play, but he seems to have got a jolt getting a fresh start.

Hope the 'addition by subtraction' as a post above said is still working out for you guys (no sarcasm).:handclap:

Tbh I think he just needed a change of scenery, he wasn't working in Cooper's system.

He blew tards the last 2 years but he was very effective in Stamkos's 60 goal season.

Last edited:

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

He has the talent and getting traded has to have given him a jolt. I would expect him to have a good season but it could taper off towards the end if he gets too comfortable. Next year and thereafter I think you have to start worrying when/if he gets content.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Glad to hear he's doing well for you guys. He is a good player, but he kinda has an on and off switch. You can really tell the difference. When he's on his game, hustling, being more selfish offensively, asserting himself, he can be a really good player. And the scary thing is, if it were always on he could be so much better. A lot of the lightning players and coaches talk about how skilled he is. Unfortunately he's always battled with inconsistent play and for the past 2 seasons it seemed like that switch was turned off a lot.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Tbh I think he just needed a change of scenery, he wasn't working in Cooper's system.

He blew tards the last 2 years but he was very effective in Stamkos's 60 goal season.

He has the talent and getting traded has to have given him a jolt. I would expect him to have a good season but it could taper off towards the end if he gets too comfortable. Next year and thereafter I think you have to start worrying when/if he gets content.

Glad to hear he's doing well for you guys. He is a good player, but he kinda has an on and off switch. You can really tell the difference. When he's on his game, hustling, being more selfish offensively, asserting himself, he can be a really good player. And the scary thing is, if it were always on he could be so much better. A lot of the lightning players and coaches talk about how skilled he is. Unfortunately he's always battled with inconsistent play and for the past 2 seasons it seemed like that switch was turned off a lot.

Thanks guys! appreciate the feedback :) I guess we will see if he stays consistent. Even if he does tone it down later in the season, at least we are using him as a 2nd/3rd liner and not expecting too much from him. Just like Perron and Pouliot.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
He's a guy that is going to have stretches where he just looks amazing and dominates and you wonder why the previous team gave up on him. And then you see him coast and become invisible for large stretches and understand why. Purcell WILL do that this year. Guaranteed.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's a guy that is going to have stretches where he just looks amazing and dominates and you wonder why the previous team gave up on him. And then you see him coast and become invisible for large stretches and understand why. Purcell WILL do that this year. Guaranteed.

He didn't really do that the first 2 years he was here, he had something to prove I guess, he was also a monster in the 2011 playoffs. Got a fat contract then coasted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad