Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Teams must be extremely reluctant to take on salary, maybe due to the cap not increasing as much as expected? I'm sure this had to have been the best we could do with Purcell/Gagner, which is tough to think, but both had pretty bloated paychecks.

We have to be careful taking on large long term contracts after the Garrison trade, especially if cap does not increase much next year. Bishop is a ufa after next year and will need to be paid.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
This means Yzerman plans to go BIG in FA. This won't be Purcell + Crombeen for a 6th. It'll be more like Purcell + Crombeen for a 6th + Fayne/Stralman/Ehroff/Boyle? We'll be a better team than before and that's what matters (and it will have cost us nothing in terms of assets).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would you guys do Johnson, Connolly and a 1st for Spezza? (Not a Sens fan, just thinking)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This means Yzerman plans to go BIG in FA. This won't be Purcell + Crombeen for a 6th. It'll be more like Purcell + Crombeen for a 6th + Fayne/Stralman/Ehroff/Boyle? We'll be a better team than before and that's what matters (and it will have cost us nothing in terms of assets).

Honestly, I think we're a better team as of this moment, even if Yzerman goes golfing for the rest of the summer.

The only thing I don't really get is the salary retention. I'm not sure how the numbers work out, but it seems like there were cheaper ways to get Teddy off the books.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
So Yzerman really couldn't trade Purcell for a late draft pick? Never would have thought Purcell had that little value especially with teams out there needing to get to the cap floor (like Buffalo)

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
@jirelandEJ
"Last year, there were a lot of new guys coming up...& I just didn’t really find my place like I had in the past." #Oilers Ted Purcell
"I didn’t want to get traded but I’m very excited about the opportunity...you follow their forward group & they’re a pretty dynamic bunch"

To me it reads...they had a lot of new guys and they didn't want to carry me the way Stammer & St. Louis had in the past.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
The only thing I don't really get is the salary retention. I'm not sure how the numbers work out, but it seems like there were cheaper ways to get Teddy off the books.

With the lower cap there are several teams trying to shed salary. Teams with cap room are calling the shots.

There's something bigger at play here. With Toews and Kane rumored to be asking for 12M, you have to wonder what Stamkos will want when he is a ufa in 2 years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gagner's retained salary is up in two years. My take on it is Purcell's salary will go towards resigning Stamkos when the time comes.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This is a classic case of addition by subtraction. Our team is better without Purcell on it. Kucherov should be able to stay up now with two forward spots open.

ThunderRoad

Apr 24, 2006
Tampa
I would've. Did you see him play? So did 29 other teams.

Still would have thought he could have returned a 7th on his own with the fact his deal only had 2 years left.

Change of scenery argument and the fact he was one year removed from a pretty good season.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
@jirelandEJ
"Last year, there were a lot of new guys coming up...& I just didn’t really find my place like I had in the past." #Oilers Ted Purcell
"I didn’t want to get traded but I’m very excited about the opportunity...you follow their forward group & they’re a pretty dynamic bunch"

To me it reads...they had a lot of new guys and they didn't want to carry me the way Stammer & St. Louis had in the past.

"I didn't feel like I needed to work as hard as them, because tenure, and the next thing I know I'm on the 4th line."

TheThunderYears

100% Cap Compliant
Aug 20, 2007
The Filthy South
@jirelandEJ

^ Pretty much. If you can't find consistent scoring chemistry with any of our forwards (especially with how advanced they were last year), good luck with that group in EDM still trying to find their way. Secondary assists aren't going to come as easy out West. Good luck Ted, you're going to need it.

BTW you might want to just go as Ted now. I hear the West is pretty rough and tumble.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
#TBLightning Yzerman said wanted to clear cap space and cash to give them options, feel Purcell and Crombeen can be replaced internal
Yzerman: "Just cause we have cap space now and cash available we’re not going to act out of desperation, but certainly going to inquire"
#TBLightning Yzerman said he's reached out to potential free agents, has an idea of who is interested and what it will take.
#TBLightning Yzerman says with the trade it does open up spots for Panik, Drouin and Connolly, plan to carry 13 forwards or 14-7

Always Follow the Yzerplan.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
As an outsider this looks like a weird sequence.

When I saw Gagner to TB I thought it was a good pickup and an upgrade.... then Gagner + Crombeen to Phoenix for essentially a bag of pucks (most 5 rounders never make NHL) I'm confused. I thought Habs and Edm were going to make a trade (Gorges for Gagner)... after seeing this I'm glad it didn't happen.

Looks like Stevie Y wants to make a splash ... Thomas Vanek anyone, makes you a contender in my books.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
With the lower cap there are several teams trying to shed salary. Teams with cap room are calling the shots.

There's something bigger at play here. With Toews and Kane rumored to be asking for 12M, you have to wonder what Stamkos will want when he is a ufa in 2 years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Gagner's retained salary is up in two years. My take on it is Purcell's salary will go towards resigning Stamkos when the time comes.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just wondering if there wasn't a way to go about it that would have saved us even more money. For instance, if we'd bought out Purcell with a compliance buyout and then bought out Malone with a regular buy out.

Maybe something changed (Ehrhoff hitting the market?) between then and now that made Yzerman pull the trigger.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As an outsider this looks like a weird sequence.

When I saw Gagner to TB I thought it was a good pickup and an upgrade.... then Gagner + Crombeen to Phoenix for essentially a bag of pucks (most 5 rounders never make NHL) I'm confused. I thought Habs and Edm were going to make a trade (Gorges for Gagner)... after seeing this I'm glad it didn't happen.

Looks like Stevie Y wants to make a splash ... Thomas Vanek anyone, makes you a contender in my books.

Can't see us having a bit of interest in Vanek. We'd be after a defenseman. Even the Iginla rumors seem far fetched to me now that we've brought Callahan back.

Sear91

Jun 26, 2007
Tampa
Obviously Erhoff and Niskanen would be on the radar for D-men, but does anyone else see a fit for Michael Cammalleri? Another vet with leadership experience up front that can score and mentor our youngsters? I'd be on board for the right price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad