Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any mentions of Iginla, Dan Boyle or Brian Boyle have been purely speculation. For all we know we have a handshake agreement with Fayne or Stralman for July 1st and wanted to have enough space for him, our other RFAs and a vet backup goalie without being right against the cap. You always want to leave some space just in case. You never know when you'll be able to move unnecessary contracts, so move them when you get the chance.

I hope we don't sign any of the three. I wouldn't mind Fayne or Stralman but I think we had enough capspace that we didn't need to do all this trading. If we needed to clear this much space how much is either of them looking for?

I also don't know why he doesn't move out Brewer for a late pick if he's just looking for space to go after a FA D. We have Hedman-FA/Garrison, Carle-Garrison/FA, Brewer-Gudas/Barberio/Sustr. That's a lot of defenders, sure we can send Sustr down but he showed in the playoffs he looks better then Barberio and Gudas. We could then sign another vet FA for a million to fill Brewers spot if we didn't want to run with Barberio-Gudas.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens fan coming in peace! Would you guys do a

Spezza + Gryba/Wiercoch + pick

For

Johnson , koekkoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sens fan coming in peace! Would you guys do a

Spezza + Gryba/Wiercoch + pick

For

Johnson , koekkoek

Johnson's a far better fit with our team than Spezza. That's not to say he's a better player. But if we traded Johnson for Spezza straight up, I think we'd become worse. Unless Spezza can kill penalties and score shorties.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
Johnson's a far better fit with our team than Spezza. That's not to say he's a better player. But if we traded Johnson for Spezza straight up, I think we'd become worse. Unless Spezza can kill penalties and score shorties.

I'd have to say he's better than Spezza simply because we've yet to see what he can really do.

Spezza is 31, which means his career will probably begin to slow down in the next 4-5 years. Johnson isn't even old enough to grow a full beard yet.

I can only imagine what Johnny, Pally, and Stammer have in store for us this year. That's a deadly combination, and now we can add other guys like Callahan, Brown, etc. into that mix.

Trading Johnson or Palat would be a fatal mistake for the Bolts right now. Just my $0.02.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd have to say he's better than Spezza simply because we've yet to see what he can really do.

Spezza is 31, which means his career will probably begin to slow down in the next 4-5 years. Johnson isn't even old enough to grow a full beard yet.

I can only imagine what Johnny, Pally, and Stammer have in store for us this year. That's a deadly combination, and now we can add other guys like Callahan, Brown, etc. into that mix.

Trading Johnson or Palat would be a fatal mistake for the Bolts right now. Just my $0.02.

I agree, although I don't know if Johnson has a ton of untapped potential. I think we might see him score 60 points in the right circumstances, but he's more likely to be a perennial 45-55 guy with excellent defensive contributions. Pretty much exactly the kind of guy we need.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I agree, although I don't know if Johnson has a ton of untapped potential. I think we might see him score 60 points in the right circumstances, but he's more likely to be a perennial 45-55 guy with excellent defensive contributions. Pretty much exactly the kind of guy we need.

Last year when he started, I'd agree completely.

After seeing what he was able to do when given the opportunity, I'd have to disagree.

He's an undrafted kid who I see in a lot of ways as being the next "MSL". Now yes, MSL and Johnny are two very different types of players (at least right now), but the point being that no one expected Marty to be anywhere near as good as he's become.

I know we all don't really like him anymore, me especially, but I've got this feeling we'll see Johnny get in the 60-75P ranges (at least once or twice).

It's a gut feeling, but then again I did just spend $200 on a Jersey with his name on it. :D

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Last year when he started, I'd agree completely.

After seeing what he was able to do when given the opportunity, I'd have to disagree.

He's an undrafted kid who I see in a lot of ways as being the next "MSL". Now yes, MSL and Johnny are two very different types of players (at least right now), but the point being that no one expected Marty to be anywhere near as good as he's become.

I know we all don't really like him anymore, me especially, but I've got this feeling we'll see Johnny get in the 60-75P ranges (at least once or twice).

It's a gut feeling, but then again I did just spend $200 on a Jersey with his name on it. :D

If he plays with Stamkos, it's definitely a possibility. I think what happened was toward the end of the season he finally started cashing in on the chances he wasn't cashing in on early. But he was also getting steady first line duty, which might not always be the case. And probably won't be. He didn't really force himself onto the first line so much as the opportunity presented itself and he cashed in on it.

It's like, with Kucherov, you watch him play and your brain makes connections between what he is and what he CAN be once it all starts to click. I think it's already clicking pretty well with Johnson.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So SFY does a 3-way deal with a Canadian team and the Coyotes?

U6Js83n.jpg

I know that there's expectations for the 1st, but where Purcell for Gagner is a good hockey trade, Gagner & Crombeen for only a 6th, and having to retain salary on top of it is pretty rough. Brutal even.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Two big contracts (partially) off our books. A 6th is not a great return but it gives us lots of $ room.

Thanks for 2011, Teddy, and GL in Arizona!

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Interesting insight on how this all went down.

McTavish had talks with Maloney about Gagner earlier in day. Yzerman then had talks with McTavish and traded Purcell for Gagner. The purpose was for the Lightning to buyout Gagner, hence the tweet last night.

Then Arizona offered to pick up Crombeen if Gagner was traded to them instead of being bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456044

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Interesting insight on how this all went down.

McTavish had talks with Maloney about Gagner earlier in day. Yzerman then had talks with McTavish and traded Purcell for Gagner. The purpose was for the Lightning to buyout Gagner, hence the tweet last night.

Then Arizona offered to pick up Crombeen if Gagner was traded to them instead of being bought out.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456044
Interesting. Especially this part:

The Lightning were prepared to buy out Gagner's contract, but that plan was put on hold when Maloney expressed interest in the London, Ont., native whom the Coyotes coveted for some time but saw his salary as a bit too rich for their blood. Still, they wanted to get something done.

"(The Lightning) were trying to free up some cap space to do some other things, which obviously they did when they traded Teddy Purcell," Maloney said on a conference call late Sunday night. "Basically we hung up the phone, I said (to Yzerman), 'I'm going to have a beer, you go have a glass of wine and if you can come up with an idea, call me back."'

Maloney and his staff came up with the idea of putting gritty winger B.J. Crombeen and his $1.15-million cap hit in the trade, and it got done once Tampa Bay agreed to retain one-third of Gagner's salary and cap hit, which would have been the price had he been bought out.
Also, SFY prefers wine over beer?! :amazed: :sarcasm:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Interesting. Especially this part:

Also, SFY prefers wine over beer?! :amazed: :sarcasm:

This makes zero sense, as the trade itself actually cost us more money. Gagner makes more in cap and actual dollars than Teddy, so why trade him with the intent of getting Gagner and buying him out? Something doesn't add up.

EDIT: Ohhhh...
Guys, the Lightning went with Gagner because he's under 26, so they only had to retain 1/3 of his salary (check the terms of the buyout agreement). Purcell would have been 2/3's because he's over 26 (he's 28). So it isn't quite apples to apples.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This makes zero sense, as the trade itself actually cost us more money. Gagner makes more in cap and actual dollars than Teddy, so why trade him with the intent of getting Gagner and buying him out? Something doesn't add up.

Gagner's buyout would be 1/3rd of his salary, while Purcell's would be 2/3rds, so while the salary is nearly the same, the buyout is ~1.6 million cheaper.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gagner's buyout would be 1/3rd of his salary, while Purcell's would be 2/3rds, so while the salary is nearly the same, the buyout is ~1.6 million cheaper.

Yeah. The only thing I can't figure out is why we didn't use the compliance buyout on Teddy, then use a regular buyout on Malone, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) would have been cheaper. Unless something in their plans changed between Malone's buyout and now.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah. The only thing I can't figure out is why we didn't use the compliance buyout on Teddy, then use a regular buyout on Malone, which I think (correct me if I'm wrong) would have been cheaper. Unless something in their plans changed between Malone's buyout and now.

The change was the cap being lowered from 71M to 69M. It appears this caught Yzerman and Brisebois by surprise.

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
The Cap falling to $69m seems to have had a massive ripple effect. I don't think it ever used to be this difficult to move salary, but obviously nobody in the league wanted anything to do with Gagner or Purcell at full $$ without some dollars coming back. Clearing this much cap space under this cap seems to require either a lot of gymnastics, or a lot of tanking.

The methods are a bit sloppy, but it's commendable that SY could clear that much space without dealing a core guy.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The Cap falling to $69m seems to have had a massive ripple effect. I don't think it ever used to be this difficult to move salary, but obviously nobody in the league wanted anything to do with Gagner or Purcell at full $$ without some dollars coming back. Clearing this much cap space under this cap seems to require either a lot of gymnastics, or a lot of tanking.

The methods are a bit sloppy, but it's commendable that SY could clear that much space without dealing a core guy.

Yeah, I think Days posted a direct quote of Yzerman saying that it's incredible hard to move salaries right now.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013

I think Yzerman is operating under the assumption that there is no time to waste in clearing cap space, since many other teams want/need to do the same.

Heck, you could almost fill up an expansion team roster with all the players that teams want to dump.

None of this would have been possible if we didn't have quality NHL ready depth in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad