Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I know lol I just read 5 posters though on the main thread about what I said and found it amusing.

Also, Purcells never had a night like this. How could you possibly say we lost the trade???

I don't think you lost the trade :huh:

Gagner is a good pick up.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Gagner was a -29 last season, just saying.

Drouin/Johnson/Stammer
Palat/Filp/Cally
Killorn/Gagner/Connolly
Panik/Thompson/Brown

It was quoted in the Edmonton thread that Sam started the year with a broken jaw and was on a liquid diet. Probably fell behind and couldnt catch up with the way the schedule worked??

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
LOL. If you see him shoot, post it quick to Youtube. It's like a unicorn.

His release is absolutely stellar and his shot is fantastic. He just rarely shoots for whatever reason.

At least he can hold onto the puck like nobody's business! His puck possession is pretty impressive.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Does Purcell get pushed off the puck easily?

Purcell doesn't retrieve the puck at all so it's hard to say if he gets pushed off it easily. He's absolutely GOD awful on the wall and seeing him play in the West(without a complete change of style on his part) is going to be a train wreck on on a flaming garbage barge.

Purcell has decent dangles, incredible release and high end velocity on his shot. He doesn't shoot often enough for how good it is, almost like he doesn't trust it or lacks confidence.

He's at his best when he moves his legs. It's just a wonder what actually causes him to move them. He can be the most consistently invisible point producer you've ever seen though. I've often wondered if he played at all and then see him in the box scores with an assist or two. Perimeter player, not physical at all, horrible on the wall. He is faster (when he wants to be) than most expect, but don't expect to see it regularly. Honestly don't know how he's supposed to play out west, lol.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Tampa is gonna love those drop passes 5 feet inside the offensive blueline that go the other way for odd man rushes.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
its obvious both players are far from perfect lets just hope a change of scenery helps both of them

LecavaYeahBaby

Dec 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I like the deal for Tampa because of one main reason, versatility. Since Gagner can play wing or center, and there seems to be conflicting comments on this thread about his effectiveness at either position, but he can do both if needed. I wonder if its a move to slot him as the #3 center with Kucherov/Connolly/Panik/Killorn/whoever so Johnson or Stammer can move to full time wing on the top line and the other stick to center. Johnson is better than a 3rd line center at this point and they really need him with top end players most nights.

If its not for Gagner to play center permanently, its always nice to have a guy who can do it if need be. Say Stamkos/Flip/Johnson gets hurt, Gagner slotter there is better than a rookie Drouin of Thomer having to play 3rd line minutes, like he did a lot last season. Its all about depth and options IMO

Lightningz

Sep 26, 2013
Östersund
I was kind of hoping namestnikov made the jump this year, I don't think we've heard the last from gagner, he's either being bought out or being traded for draft picks/defense or I'm totally wrong and yzerman thought we needed another undersized forward

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm wondering if Yzerman has something lined up for Gagner, like maybe he can deal Gagner for a better pick than Teddy was worth (and maybe Edmonton would rather have a roster player than a pick?). Makes very little sense that we'd take on more salary when we need to cut a bit. If we were going to buy out Gagner, why wouldn't we have used our compliance buy out on Teddy Purcell instead of Malone?

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith · 2m

If #TBLightning decide to buy out Gagner, it would have to pay 1/3 of the value of the contract. Could also move him as well

In reporter speak, this screams that this isn't over, unless Joe is as confused as the rest of us.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
This trade has me pretty happy. Both teams get a player out of their system that needed a change of scenery desperately. Gagner is still a young player with a lot of potential, and I actually liked him coming into the year. Teddy was maddening to watch all year last year. I would have moved him for a 7th if we could have just cause we got better without him.

You never know. Both players could go on to play really well on their new clubs. Both needed this. I just hope Gagner helps us more than Teddy hurt us last year. You never know what can happen if you put Gagner with some of our kids or with Stammer even haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad