Confirmed with Link: [EDM/TBL/ARZ] Purcell for Sam Gagner, then Gagner & Crombeen to ARZ for 6th rd pick

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
With the Center depth Tampa has, that should not be a problem. He'll most likely play the wing.

He's not a very good winger to be honest, his lack of size gets exposed more when he's expected to muck it up on the boards. He's always been more effective in the middle. I would keep him at center if possible.

vickpeterson

Sep 30, 2011
HF
Oiler fan here, I feel like Gagner will thrive in the East on team like yours. In edmonton he was the second line centre, with RNH the first. Both aren't good at faceoffs, and both are small-ish guys in the Pacific division, so they got beat down in the D-zone alot. Also, his skill set was redundant, a small tenacious player with ok speed and great hands. That description is identical to Perron's and/or Eberle's. I feel that now with guys like Drouin/Stamkos/Callahan/Killorn/etc in the top 6 with him, and with him not having to face Kopitar/Carter/Thornton/Getzlaf/Sedin/Kesler every other night, that he will really do well in Tampa. Both moves were buy low type moves for both teams, lets just hope they pan out for the both of us.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Namestnikov one more year in the AHL. Possible lines:

Drouin/Johnson/Stammer
Palat/Filp/Cally
Killorn/Gagne/Kucherov
Paquette/Thompson/Brown

Yet to sign Connolly/Panik.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
I tried to take up for Teddy a few times last season, but I'm not exactly crushed to see him traded. He had too many moments last season where he didn't make the smarter play and was a liability because of it. Many teams started to play off him in offensive situations because they knew he wouldn't shoot.

Interested to see Gagner play and learn more about the guy...

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
Lol the main trade thread the Oiler fans are looking at that 6'3" and are assuming they are getting an upgrade for physical presence. They will be sadly mistaken. Teddy has some gifts, but being any type of threat physically is not one of those.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Lol the main trade thread the Oiler fans are looking at that 6'3" and are assuming they are getting an upgrade for physical presence. They will be sadly mistaken. Teddy has some gifts, but being any type of threat physically is not one of those.

Does Purcell get pushed off the puck easily?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Does he get bought out? Doesn't make sense. Its a stylistic thing.

Like many said before, Teddy in the bottom six is a waste of time and money for us, Gagne on the other hand is a handsy player who can be a... Tommy Pyatt type. Maybe they're going to hide him on wing on the third line and open up space for Drouin?

I'm still trying to find the angle in this trade other than "split up Bugsy and Teddy".

2 Weekes Notice

Apr 10, 2012
Non-traditional Land
I've seen Gagner's name pop up in a lot of various trade rumors, seems like he could at least fetch a 7th if Purcell couldn't? I still have trouble believing he'll get bought out or kept, honestly.

All's quiet on the Twitter front right now too, so maybe Joe and EE are trying to figure out exactly what the hell.

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
At first I hated this trade but after I checked out, Gagner only has two more years left in his contract (thought that he had 5+ for some reason). Not bad, gives some center depth. Don't know how Gagner will fit to third line role (if he'll play that kind of role) - talented but inconsistent and soft, mediocre defensively. Don't know what to think.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

go look at hfoil, we're well aware that he is not physical at all.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Was just pointed out Gagner has a NMC kicking in on Tuesday. So if he's gonna flip him he doesn't have much time.

This is such a curious move.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Gagner was a -29 last season, just saying.

Drouin/Johnson/Stammer
Palat/Filp/Cally
Killorn/Gagner/Connolly
Panik/Thompson/Brown

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
go look at hfoil, we're well aware that he is not physical at all.

I know lol I just read 5 posters though on the main thread about what I said and found it amusing.

Also, Purcells never had a night like this. How could you possibly say we lost the trade???

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
From the comments on the Oilers thread Gagne either needed a change of scenery or can't play 2C in the West. One described him as a 5'11" version of Purcell. Hope Cooper can get the most out of him in a third line role here. No spots in the top 6 for him here...extremely odd trade.

Looks like both teams were looking to dump the players...looks...extremely...odd - basically a swap of players that both organizations were looking to dump.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Watching Purcell play last year was brutal. Guy was the slowest on the ice and would shoot the puck once in a blue moon.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I still don't think Gagner fits here at all. I think he's set to join the Kyle Quincey All-Stars

Why do you think that? Gagner is fast and the wide open East will suit him well. Plus you guys will get to see his crazy shoot out moves. :yo:

From the comments on the Oilers thread Gagne either needed a change of scenery or can't play 2C in the West. One described him as a 5'11" version of Purcell. Hope Cooper can get the most out of him in a third line role here. No spots in the top 6 for him here...extremely odd trade.

Looks like both teams were looking to dump the players...looks...extremely...odd - basically a swap of players that both organizations were looking to dump.

Edmonton needs size in the worst way. Yes Purcell isn't exactly a physical player, but that will more than likely have to change. The Pacific Division is tough and very physical. He'll have to learn to push back or he'll be on his way out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00