Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Yakupov for Zach Pochiro + Cndl 2017 3rd (becomes 2018 2nd if Yak hits 15G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If he can't score 15 goals this season than he's so bad that the 3rd is an overpayment.

If he scores 15-19, the 2nd is probably about fair (it's a late 2nd).

If he scores 20+ than the Blues did quite well.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
The organization phased him out and a stronger team in our conference gets a chance at turning him around for pennies on the dollar.

Remember Cogliano? He 'sucked' too.

Completely different players. Cogliano doesn't really on scoring to be effective. Yakupov is worthless if he doesn't score. He isn't a great skater, isn't big, doesn't cycle the puck well, doesn't beat anyone in order to forecheck, isn't a great playmaker and looks like he's spazzing out lost in his own end or neutral zone 80% of the time. My point is he wasn't going to stick, may end up in the KHL and a 3rd round pick is fine by me. Besides if he can salvage his game and scores 15 then it's a second. No problems here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Oilers depth chart looks more balanced and more filled out than it has in many, many years.

Have they changed the culture in the room enough to play up to their paper potential? That's the biggest question for me.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The irony of this thread... the very same people who say draft position shouldn't impact the value of a player who is playing poorly are the same people knocking the return Chiarelli got because Yak is a former 1st overall.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
The problem is ownership should be embarrassed by how bad of a job they've done for so long but instead continue to do a bad job and think it's ok because they have another first overall pick to save them in McDavid.

Remember when RNH had the vision of Wayne Gretzky, I sure as **** do.

This team can't develop players and it's sad, Pierre McGuire still says Edmonton screwed up RNH and Yak cause they didn't know what the **** they were doing, but a lot nicer, never actually pointing a finger but saying they weren't developed right so read between the lines.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The problem is ownership should be embarrassed by how bad of a job they've done for so long but instead continue to do a bad job and think it's ok because they have another first overall pick to save them in McDavid.

This team can't develop players and it's sad, Pierre McGuire still says Edmonton screwed up RNH and Yak cause they didn't know what the **** they were doing, but a lot nicer, never actually pointing a finger but saying they weren't developed right so read between the lines.

I love that this is still being misquoted haha.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Two weeks ago RNH looked fine at the world cup. Regardless current management has had nothing to do with the development of Hall RNH and Yakupov so what does that have to do with anything? Plus you ignore the players who have been developed properly like Eberle, and more recently Klefbom, Draisaitl, and Davidson.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Completely different players. Cogliano doesn't really on scoring to be effective. Yakupov is worthless if he doesn't score. He isn't a great skater, isn't big, doesn't cycle the puck well, doesn't beat anyone in order to forecheck, isn't a great playmaker and looks like he's spazzing out lost in his own end or neutral zone 80% of the time. My point is he wasn't going to stick, may end up in the KHL and a 3rd round pick is fine by me. Besides if he can salvage his game and scores 15 then it's a second. No problems here.

He doesn't anymore. At the time of the trade he was a guy trying to reignite the offense he brought in his rookie season. He was weak on the draw and easy to win battles against. He was a depreciating asset, or so we thought. And that 2nd rounder turned out to be Marco Roy, that guy in Vancouver's training camp.

Yakupov's problems you've mentioned can almost all be alleviated by an adjustment in his game. He's a 22 year old kid with a ton of skill and the Oilers couldn't find a way to unlock it through four different coaches. So we gave him to a better team in our conference.

The optics are ****. We mishandled this player over time and we got rid of him for nothing before we really had to.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Two weeks ago RNH looked fine at the world cup. Regardless current management has had nothing to do with the development of Hall RNH and Yakupov so what does that have to do with anything? Plus you ignore the players who have been developed properly like Eberle, and more recently Klefbom, Draisaitl, and Davidson.

there's a huge black hole of drafting for Edmonton, I don't know Davidson but the othe 3 were drafted top 20 so yeah not really something to ride home about.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The only people that were expecting a great return were Oiler fans. Non Oiler fans have been saying for a long time now his value was extremely low.

I don't think anyone was expecting a great return.

This trade just looks like Chiarelli was sick of it. The assets we got for him are of no consequence. And when the whole saga is taken into consideration, it's extremely frustrating.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He doesn't anymore. At the time of the trade he was a guy trying to reignite the offense he brought in his rookie season. He was weak on the draw and easy to win battles against. He was a depreciating asset, or so we thought. And that 2nd rounder turned out to be Marco Roy, that guy in Vancouver's training camp.

Yakupov's problems you've mentioned can almost all be alleviated by an adjustment in his game. He's a 22 year old kid with a ton of skill and the Oilers couldn't find a way through four different coaches. So we gave him to a better team in our conference.

The optics are ****. We mishandled this player over time and we got rid of him for nothing before we really had to.

Except he doesn't "have a ton of skill".

Robert Nilsson had more pure "skill" than Yakupov.

Yakupov has medicore puck skills, when did you ever see him dangle a d-man or blast by one with his speed? *crickets*. Which highlight reel goals does he have for the Oilers?

He has a hard shot, which isn't good enough to beat NHL goalies clean.

Say what you want, but Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, etc. all had stretches here where they showed off some eye popping skill.

Virtually all of Yakupov's few goals here where spoon fed tap ins from the side of the net. Sam Gagner's Oilers highlight reel is more impressive than Nail Yakupov's, he had a few beauties at least and that 8 point night.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Yakupov's problems you've mentioned can almost all be alleviated by an adjustment in his game. He's a 22 year old kid with a ton of skill and the Oilers couldn't find a way through four different coaches. So we gave him to a better team in our conference.

I'm not really sure how Yakupov had a ton of skill. He handled the puck like it was a grenade every time a teammate passed it to him and had no clue where to be on the ice :laugh:

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:
Taylor Hall (1st overall)
Nail Yakupov (1st overall)
Matthew Barzal (16th overall)
Anthony Beauvillier (33rd overall)

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

Chiarelli is getting fleeced by his NHL peers at this point; GM's are praying he calls to make deals with them.

Sure. I am not here trying to knock Chiarelli. Outside of the Reinhart deal, he hasn't done a bad job.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am not sure another GM could trade

Hall
16th
33rd
Yak

and end up with

Larsson
Reinhart
3rd

and get away with it. Chiarelli is a terrible GM and he continues to amaze me with how bad he is at asset management.

My God that is brutal.

If you go back and look at some of his trades in Boston and put it all together, he's starting to look like Mike Milbury 2.0.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I don't know why everyone is *****ing about Edmonton's GM here, clearly this summer was about organizational change (Trading Hall for a competent D-man, acquiring Lucic, throwing Yakupov away). I look at the moves Edmonton has made over the past three months and I see a team that actually knows what it needs to do to make a better team, for once. Yes, you can call it "bad asset management", but things simply weren't working out for those players. Hell, Toronto trading Kessel was also bad asset management, but it was a poor situation and both the player and the organization needed a change. I view this as Edmonton righting the ship. Now, I'm not saying they will make the playoffs or anything, but I think if they make a few shrewd moves to improve their defense within the next year or two they should actually, finally, turn it around.

ChefTO

Jan 13, 2010
Yak

I don't post this stuff often, but I just wanna say that growing up in Edmonton, still having connections to the team and community. Yak was one of the best pros pro in the community you'll ever see. He just gets it, I thank him for that, and hope that those character traits never leave him, and only get noticed more and more wherever he goes! I also hope that hockey becomes fun again for him, cause he does love the game and loves to score! All the best Yak in STL.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I am not sure another GM could trade

Hall
16th
33rd
Yak

and end up with

Larsson
Reinhart
3rd

and get away with it. Chiarelli is a terrible GM and he continues to amaze me with how bad he is at asset management.

yeah Chiarelli has lost almost every trade handily. The Reinhart trade is especially terrible.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:
Taylor Hall (1st overall)
Nail Yakupov (1st overall)
Matthew Barzal (16th overall)
Anthony Beauvillier (33rd overall)

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

Chiarelli is getting fleeced by his NHL peers at this point; GM's are praying he calls to make deals with them.

so a top LWer who they couldn't win with
a #1 bust pick
two "maybes" who haven't proven anything in the NHL yet, or in the NHL for that matter

for a top-pairing d-man
a 22 year old AHL defenseman
and a couple pick

yup..."fleeced" :laugh:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I don't know why everyone is *****ing about Edmonton's GM here, clearly this summer was about organizational change (Trading Hall for a competent D-man, acquiring Lucic, throwing Yakupov away). I look at the moves Edmonton has made over the past three months and I see a team that actually knows what it needs to do to make a better team, for once. Yes, you can call it "bad asset management", but things simply weren't working out for those players. Hell, Toronto trading Kessel was also bad asset management, but it was a poor situation and both the player and the organization needed a change. I view this as Edmonton righting the ship. Now, I'm not saying they will make the playoffs or anything, but I think if they make a few shrewd moves to improve their defense within the next year or two they should actually, finally, turn it around.

Get ****ing real I'm still pissed about the **** Spezza's trade for Ottawa. Just because your changing the culture doesn't mean you throw your best players away for less than they're worth.

Edit: no problem with this trade. It's almost everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad