Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Yakupov for Zach Pochiro + Cndl 2017 3rd (becomes 2018 2nd if Yak hits 15G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:
Taylor Hall (1st overall)
Nail Yakupov (1st overall)
Matthew Barzal (16th overall)
Anthony Beauvillier (33rd overall)

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

Chiarelli is getting fleeced by his NHL peers at this point; GM's are praying he calls to make deals with them.

Okay, what value was Chiarelli supposed to get for Yakupov? Would you have traded Ghost or Simmonds for him, being that his pedigree as a first overall is somehow still relevant four years later?

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
there's a huge black hole of drafting for Edmonton, I don't know Davidson but the othe 3 were drafted top 20 so yeah not really something to ride home about.

So when a top drafted player doesn't pan out its solely on the management but when top drafted players do work out it has nothing to do with the management? Huh? Davidson was a 4th round pick who's been brought along slowly and played quite a bit in the Oilers top 4 d pairings last year. Your argument makes no sense. I'm not letting management off the hook for Yakupov. Buy it wasn't the current regime and Chiarelli wants to move on. Yak has been a non factor for too long. I wish him luck because he was excellent in the community. But to say that the Oilers are a black hole and then completely ignore the players who have been effectively developed makes no sense.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Get ****ing real I'm still pissed about the **** Spezza's trade for Ottawa. Just because your changing the culture doesn't mean you throw your best players away for less than they're worth.

Edit: no problem with this trade. It's almost everything else.

Did you just call Yakupov one of Edmonton's best players?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues have 4-5 really good D prospects. Why wouldn't EDM ask for one of them and retain salary instead of the low level prospect and a 3rd/2nd? Maybe they tried? It just seems like a terrible return imo. I was pretty jacked to hear it wasn't a good D prospect in return.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Lets look at some of the "big picture" trades he has made with other GM's who are his peers and the final result:

Oilers Traded:

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

Chiarelli is getting fleeced by his NHL peers at this point; GM's are praying he calls to make deals with them.
That's embarrassing.

I am lol'ing at the assumption the Oilers are a better team now then they were a year ago.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The Blues have 4-5 really good D prospects. Why wouldn't EDM ask for one of them and retain salary instead of the low level prospect and a 3rd/2nd? Maybe they tried? It just seems like a terrible return imo. I was pretty jacked to hear it wasn't a good D prospect in return.

I imagine they could have picked up a better prospect had retention been involved, but Chiarelli has so far refused to do that in any transaction he's made.

Part of it is due to projected bonuses, part of it was wanting cap room for the Russell deal, but I think a lot of his unwillingness to hold back money is to keep his options open into the first month of the season. There are still a number of high-profile RFA defensemen holding out and any one of them would look good in an Oilers jersey.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
so a top LWer who they couldn't win with
a #1 bust pick

two "maybes" who haven't proven anything in the NHL yet, or in the NHL for that matter

for a top-pairing d-man
a 22 year old AHL defenseman
and a couple pick

yup..."fleeced" :laugh:

How is that Hall's fault? All he has been is statistically, by all accounts, a top 5 LW'er in the NHL......

And like it or not, if you packaged Barzal and Beauviller right now, that absolutely has more value than Reinhart ever will. Just because you draft them doesn't mean you have to play them. They can be trade chips. Barzal and Beauvillier have both increased their trade value substantially since being drafted. Reinhart is looking more and more like a bust.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Get ****ing real I'm still pissed about the **** Spezza's trade for Ottawa. Just because your changing the culture doesn't mean you throw your best players away for less than they're worth.

Edit: no problem with this trade. It's almost everything else.

I mean, Yakupov also really sucked in Edmonton, so cutting your losses hardly negates any offense from the team. That 3rd round pick at this point is only slightly less likely to produce and succeed in Edmonton than Yakupov would have this season

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
And like it or not, if you packaged Barzal and Beauviller right now, that absolutely has more value than Reinhart ever will. Just because you draft them doesn't mean you have to play them. They can be trade chips. Barzal and Beauvillier have both increased their trade value substantially since being drafted. Reinhart is looking more and more like a bust.

You can try to use hypotheticals as your basis for evaluation, but the fact of the matter is none of the three are NHL players yet. It is way too early to call. There's nothing wrong with waiting to see how it breaks down.

Implying Hall.

You said best players. That would imply you also meant Yak.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How is that Hall's fault? All he has been is statistically, by all accounts, a top 5 LW'er in the NHL......

Hall is a great winger and one of the best in the league (although always gets passed for Team Canada...hmmm) but he contributed a lot to the losing just like RNH, Eberle etc...
but trading Hall was the only way to get a legit defender...a MASSIVE need

as for the Reinhart trade, its awful but too early to say how bad it was...and he has made good deal like trading for Talbot and Maroon

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Except he doesn't "have a ton of skill".

Robert Nilsson had more pure "skill" than Yakupov.

Yakupov has medicore puck skills, when did you ever see him dangle a d-man or blast by one with his speed? *crickets*. Which highlight reel goals does he have for the Oilers?

He has a hard shot, which isn't good enough to beat NHL goalies clean.

Say what you want, but Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, etc. all had stretches here where they showed off some eye popping skill.

Virtually all of Yakupov's few goals here where spoon fed tap ins from the side of the net. Sam Gagner's Oilers highlight reel is more impressive than Nail Yakupov's, he had a few beauties at least and that 8 point night.

Why do his highlights matter? Doesn't Marek Malik have one of the nicest shootout goals of all-time? What his skill level?

His ability to draw and evade defenders while he has the puck is actually one of his strengths. He should draw more penalties than he does, but he doesn't get the calls. He skates well, he shoots well, he passes well, he can hit and he's got intensity. It's a classic example of many tools, no toolbox at this point.

And the 'tap-in' theory is right if you consider one-timers 'tap-ins'.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
So when a top drafted player doesn't pan out its solely on the management but when top drafted players do work out it has nothing to do with the management? Huh? Davidson was a 4th round pick who's been brought along slowly and played quite a bit in the Oilers top 4 d pairings last year. Your argument makes no sense. I'm not letting management off the hook for Yakupov. Buy it wasn't the current regime and Chiarelli wants to move on. Yak has been a non factor for too long. I wish him luck because he was excellent in the community. But to say that the Oilers are a black hole and then completely ignore the players who have been effectively developed makes no sense.

No they did good with Klefbom, but every other team already develops like that so its not that impressive that's all. They can have credit for Eberle and Draisiatl too but as much as LA gets for Doughty or blues for Tarasenko.

Davidson sounds like maybe moving in right direction.

What they have trouble doing is identifying junior player with assets they know how to develop and find a role for.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Oilers Traded:

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

You should add that Chia traded Hall knowing Lucic is going to sign, so Lucic+Larsson vs Hall, while few days earlier he had just drafted Pulju.
What does 1st overall mean with Yak when he's posting 20 points per season and looks lost 90% of the time?
He could have been waived now or lost for nothing next season. Russell can outscore Yak while playing defense.

Chia signed Caggiula for free who looks better than Yak, he stole Maroon, he also signed Benning who's close to being NHL ready blueliner.

I didn't like Chias last years in Boston, but I really can't blame him for Yak trade. Edmontons team looks miles better than it did 12 months ago, now and longterm. They traded a player who wanted out for something before losing him for nothing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Why do his highlights matter? Doesn't Marek Malik have one of the nicest shootout goals of all-time? What his skill level?

His ability to draw and evade defenders while he has the puck is actually one of his strengths. He should draw more penalties than he does, but he doesn't get the calls. He skates well, he shoots well, he passes well, he can hit and he's got intensity. It's a classic example of many tools, no toolbox at this point.

And the 'tap-in' theory is right if you consider one-timers 'tap-ins'.

and thats why he'll never be good in the NHL...the guy can't process the game quickly enough

Oilers needed to cut their losses and he's a bust...plain and simple

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Asset management is being criticized. Nothing else.

Why? Chiarelli also turned Ben Scrivens, Martin Gernat, a 4th rounder and 2 seconds into Talbot, Maroon and Kassian. That's the definition of asset management there, as all three players he acquired will play regular roles in the lineup this year. He's also managing his future assets well by ensuring Nurse, Reinhart and the other D prospects can develop properly by adding stopgaps like Russell.

Really the only contentious trade he owned from start to finish was the Hall/Larsson deal; I stress again that it is still much too early to determine how that shakes out, as neither player has even seen regular season action for their new clubs.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Oilers Traded:

Oilers Received:
Adam Larsson
Griffin Reinhart
Zach Pochino
3rd round pick

Let's not forget his time before Oilers, like him trading Blake Wheeler for Rich Peverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->