Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Yakupov for Zach Pochiro + Cndl 2017 3rd (becomes 2018 2nd if Yak hits 15G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Oilers won this trade. A once in a decade type robbery. Yakupov really didn't have value. Not negative, not positive, but they managed to turn it into 3rd round pick. Solid work from Chiarelli.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
I get all of that and I am a Devils fan. His trades all just seem forced. He waits to make moves until he has too and then doesn't get full value because everyone knows he has to do something.

They could have traded Yak last summer and gotten a better return. Larsson is a nice young player as well but Taylor Hall should get you more.

If Edmonton fans are happy with these changes then great but from an outsider they have not been getting full value for their players via trade.

waiting for better value is what got Tambellini and McTavish fired with the team still looking like a mess. With Larsson he picked the player he thought he might be able to get and lost a trade to hopefully make the team better, we shall see how it goes. With Yakupov you got a player who wanted out and wasn't happy and not performing so he moved him basically just to move him after getting some wingers who can probably replace what he does pretty easily. The two trades are nothing alike really. Chiarelli at least appears to have a plan so I'm willing to see how it plays out even if they did lose the Hall trade on value alone.

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis
I really do think the oilers messed up on developping their young talent. Mcdavid is so great he will succeed despite the oilers not because of them.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The funny thing about this whole situation to me, is that most oiler fans were ready to let Yak go at this point... and the majority of edmonton fans had already accepted that we wouldn't get for Yak anything of value. What's happening in this thread, is fans of other teams using the trade to comment very critically about the team, the gm, and even the fans of Edmonton, often in a rather derogatory way, which is really what most Oilers fans in this thread are responding to and getting bent out of shape over.

Yak's value diminished last year, no one is surprised he was traded, and he return just shows that professional NHL gm's don't have as much lenience for the old fan favourite "draft position" when calculating value.

The moves and signings made this off season have made Yakupov a redundant asset for the Oilers (pulju, caggiula, versteeg). They decided to get rid of him without retaining (as was the rumor with Chicago... maybe they would have gotten a decent prospect with retention) in order to sign another d man to solidify the bottom pairing.

What I see people here not realize is that a sports team isn't the type of marketplace where the only thing that matters is getting value for value. You can improve your standing by making two separate losing deals, as long as you choose the right return, or have a second step to the plan (signing lucic after trading Hall, signing Russell after trading Yak). Chiarelli is attempting to right the ship that is the decade long rebuild in Edmonton, and to do that he's lost some value in at least one trade, but to shore up positions of weakness. As an oiler fan who is excited about the change in composition of this team this off season, I have more optimism going into this year than before. But at this point, I think I'm looking forward more to having people eat crow if/when the Oilers come out better this year than every year after the rebuild started, seeing them have to admit that Chiarelli's moves, although not pretty on the surface, was actually the right moves in the long term, showing that value for exact value isn't always the best way to manage.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I really do think the oilers messed up on developping their young talent. Mcdavid is so great he will succeed despite the oilers not because of them.

It could be, but it also could be some of these players weren't as good as the hype suggested.

In 4 years, I've yet to see even 1 goal from Yakupov that made me go "wow, what an incredible talent".

He was able to rack up a lot of points on wishy-washy junior goalies, but that stuff doesn't work on real NHL goalies, his shot is hard, but is not accurate and his hockey I.Q. is horrible.

That whole upper half of the 2012 draft class is really underwhelming in terms of talent.

Also Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, Draisaitl, and McDavid have all shown some "wow" factor, Yakupov has not really shown anything other than that embarrassing "slide down the ice after netting a tap in goal in a regular season game" moment. If Yakupov is really that good, I think we would have seen more, even on the Oilers.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Hitch is going to have to trust Yak defensively in order for that to happen...I doubt he will at first

With the Blues though every line is expected to be defensively responsible so it doesn't really matter where he plays, he's gonna have to consider playing defense.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Literally every team would have given this up for Yakupov. Why trade in the division? Send him to Florida or Arizona...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Literally every team would have given this up for Yakupov. Why trade in the division? Send him to Florida or Arizona...

I think what the common fan doesn't understand is no, not every team would have given this up.

Taking in $2.5 million without sending any salary back is not something a lot of GMs are willing to do on a project player. For many teams it pushes them over their internal budget or to the cap roof.

Oilers got $2.5 million in free cap room from this deal which basically lets them sign Kris Russell for 600k which addresses a need for the Oilers more than Yakupov does.

If Florida or Arizona were willing to do it, it would've been done in the summer.

Last edited:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Oilers won this trade. A once in a decade type robbery. Yakupov really didn't have value. Not negative, not positive, but they managed to turn it into 3rd round pick. Solid work from Chiarelli.

Literally no one believes this is robbery which leads me to believe you're an oilers homer.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I am not sure another GM could trade

Hall
16th
33rd
Yak

and end up with

Larsson
Reinhart
3rd

and get away with it. Chiarelli is a terrible GM and he continues to amaze me with how bad he is at asset management.

Last edited by a moderator:

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Paltry? It's ****ing pathetic.

Why? He sucks. He barely was able to play on the worst team in the league and now that there us some RW depth he's gone. I doubt he sticks with St.L. I'm happy to have a 3rd round pick for a player who was a complete non factor for the vast majority of his games in Edmonton.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I am not sure another GM could trade

Hall
16th
33rd
Yak

and end up with

Larsson
Reinhart
3rd

and get away with it. Chiarelli is a terrible GM and he continues to amaze me with how bad he is at asset management.

He better hope Connor stays in the line up or else his goose is cooked. That defense is brutal to say the least and you just cannot keep throwing away assets like he has. He could not get away with those moves in a big market city. Not a knock on Edmonton but the media in those cities would eat him up.

Last edited by a moderator:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I really thought he was turning it around when he was put on McDavid's line and was putting up some points and playing with confidence. How did one training camp change so much?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Having a couple of strong two-way players next to him, and a strong defence behind him will help him IMO. Wouldn't be surprised if he pots 20 next year.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
He better hope Connor stays in the line up or else his goose is cooked. That defense is brutal to say the least and you just cannot keep throwing away assets like he has. He could not get away with those moves in a big market city. Not a knock on Edmonton but the media in those cities would eat him up.
The defence is certainly improved from the last few years. You can't tell me Klefbom Larsson Sekera Fayne Russell Davidson Nurse isn't better than Ference Belov Aulie Petry Potter Marincin.....?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why? He sucks. He barely was able to play on the worst team in the league and now that there us some RW depth he's gone. I doubt he sticks with St.L. I'm happy to have a 3rd round pick for a player who was a complete non factor for the vast majority of his games in Edmonton.

The organization phased him out and a stronger team in our conference gets a chance at turning him around for pennies on the dollar.

Remember Cogliano? He 'sucked' too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad