Confirmed Trade: [EDM/STL] Yakupov for Zach Pochiro + Cndl 2017 3rd (becomes 2018 2nd if Yak hits 15G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
So in the end Yak's value was not near what these boards thought it would be. Can't believe Edm got so little.

Revisionist history is so bad in this thread. I'm not sure what Yakupov threads you have been reading lately but that value is pretty much bang-on what most HF posters figured it would be.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Should be posted on every page.

It's easy to mock with false information right?

Didn't we have a "Yakupov to be waived" thread a couple days ago? Started by an Oiler fan. But again, it's easier to remain ignorant and ridicule without full knowledge.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You arguing something completely different than what I said. I was saying that Chia got the best deal he could for Yakupov, overpaid for Larsson but he filled a need and that the only reason Chia's deals look bad on the surface may be because what of what fans were expecting. Not sure why you are defending Chia when I wasn't throwing anything negative his way, sans the Reinhart trade.

I wasn't really arguing anything in my post at all lol. I was just adding to your point that the perceived value on this board for players is often not what it actually is and is often influenced by previous seasons/past credentials or status. I was just saying that if Hall had continued to perform at a point per game pace the past 2 seasons that its possible Chia could have got better value for him, even though there was nothing wrong with that deal from an organizational need perspective.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sure. I am not here trying to knock Chiarelli. Outside of the Reinhart deal, he hasn't done a bad job.

To further corroborate your post. Watch this multiple times, compare our roster today with the moves Chia has made overall v. when he took over.

It's not even close, he's built a better and deeper team at all positions.

M7m3FmN.gif

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wasn't really arguing anything in my post at all lol. I was just adding to your point that the perceived value on this board for players is often not what it actually is and is often influenced by previous seasons/past credentials or status. I was just saying that if Hall had continued to perform at a point per game pace the past 2 seasons that its possible Chia could have got better value for him, even though there was nothing wrong with that deal from an organizational need perspective.

Ahh. Gotcha. I still think Chia could have gotten better value for him but I don't think he wanted to wait any longer to address Edmontons most glaring need. When you are dealing from a position of strength as EDM was, you can afford to overpay to get what you want.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The truly troubling narrative here is that Chiarelli made a horrible trade because Yak was once a 1st overall pick, as though there's nothing that happened between point A (being drafted 1st OA) and point B (being traded for a 3rd). Some posters are acting as though he's the only high end prospect to ever stagnate/regress. Yes, I get that it's much rarer to see the 1st overall have a major regression, but is it that much different than a Pouliot/Brule from 05? These kids are ultimately judged on talent because it's the easiest thing to decipher, coachability is a much harder factor to gauge (especially in an era where these kids practice saying all the right things for their interview). The point being, the player Chia traded is not the player they thought they'd have 4 years down the road. This was the existing market for Yak (which is sad).

As for Yak, I'll still be rooting for him. The talent is still there, unfortunately it's attached to a player completely devoid of hockey IQ and puck anticipation. With the right players, deployed in the right way, I think he can still carve out an NHL career.

My question to those still slamming the deal, if he fails to make an impact with the Blues and ends up in the KHL next year, will this still be a bad deal for the Oilers?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Ahh. Gotcha. I still think Chia could have gotten better value for him but I don't think he wanted to wait any longer to address Edmontons most glaring need. When you are dealing from a position of strength as EDM was, you can afford to overpay to get what you want.

Yeah its possible, like maybe a throw in prospect of picks or something. I'm not really sure he could have got a better D than Larsson though tbh. D are a rare commodity around the league and high end ones don't really seem to be available unless you're trading for other high end ones (i.e. Subban for Weber). Even with guys like Hamonic and Trouba the asks seem to have been a comparable D in both cases which is something Edmonton couldn't do because its just a lateral move at that point.

Anyways the Yak trade is something that just needed to happen. They tried that experiment for long enough and nothing was changing so better for both sides to just cut ties regardless of what the return is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The truly troubling narrative here is that Chiarelli made a horrible trade because Yak was once a 1st overall pick, as though there's nothing that happened between point A (being drafted 1st OA) and point B (being traded for a 3rd). Some posters are acting as though he's the only high end prospect to ever stagnate/regress. Yes, I get that it's much rarer to see the 1st overall have a major regression, but is it that much different than a Pouliot/Brule from 05? These kids are ultimately judged on talent because it's the easiest thing to decipher, coachability is a much harder factor to gauge (especially in an era where these kids practice saying all the right things for their interview). The point being, the player Chia traded is not the player they thought they'd have 4 years down the road. This was the existing market for Yak (which is sad).

As for Yak, I'll still be rooting for him. The talent is still there, unfortunately it's attached to a player completely devoid of hockey IQ and puck anticipation. With the right players, deployed in the right way, I think he can still carve out an NHL career.

My question to those still slamming the deal, if he fails to make an impact with the Blues and ends up in the KHL next year, will this still be a bad deal for the Oilers?

To be honest I never really saw the "talent" there with him, even in like 3-4 years he never scored a single goal that made me go "wow, what a snipe" or be able to do something really spectacular on the ice.

He skates fast, but can't ever seem to blow past any NHL defender, his shot is hard, but it's nothing that scares an NHL level goalie, it's not very accurate either. Hands/dangles are poor. He's not big enough to play a physical game past the OHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Personally, it's not about being a bad deal for the Oilers. It's what his value REALLY is today. He has been shopping him for a long time and a conditional 3rd and an ECHLer was the best offer.

This deal shows that no team was willing to offer a 2nd. It also shows that all the offers of good depth players were fair value too.

Hard to believe that Rinaldo and Yak could potentially have be traded for the same return....a 3rd rounder.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
To further corroborate your post. Watch this multiple times, compare our roster today with the moves Chia has made overall v. when he took over.

It's not even close, he's built a better and deeper team at all positions.

M7m3FmN.gif

I'll take, "Things that are not made better by a GIF" for $1000, Alex.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think he meant that offensively lol. I think he was just saying that a picture with both lineups would be easier to look at to compare the 2 lineups rather than the gif flip flopping back and forth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Personally, it's not about being a bad deal for the Oilers. It's what his value REALLY is today. He has been shopping him for a long time and a conditional 3rd and an ECHLer was the best offer.

This deal shows that no team was willing to offer a 2nd. It also shows that all the offers of good depth players were fair value too.

Hard to believe that Rinaldo and Yak could potentially have be traded for the same return....a 3rd rounder.

It shows cap space is a big commodity, the Oilers got $2.5 million in cap room with this deal, which then basically makes signing Kris Russell a cap neutral move. It's basically Yakupov out, Russell in.

Teams are not willing to just take $2.5 million in salary anymore, it throws most teams internal budget off or pushes them further to the cap roof.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Although it's a bit tough to sift through most hindsight "I told you so" posts, it seems to me EDM got a fair value, obviously a first rounder that doesn't progress is worth less. If Yak picks up his play, both teams participate in the upside. If not, Yak was worth the gamble of a 3rd rounder for the Blues.

If you are still calling Yak a 1st overall, which he is albeit only by virtue of historical title, your evaluation of the trade is irrelevant to any knowledgeable individual anyhow.

Pretty even trade

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This must be the 1st time in the history of the NHL that a GM traded 2 1st overall picks in the same offseason off the same team. The man also trade a 2nd overall pick from the Bruins. As a Devils fan I thank him, but the return for Yak and Hall is this plus Adam Larsson.......gross.

I get they were seperate deals and I know where the value is for Yak but c'mon man. If I were an Edmonton fan I would be pissed after this offseason. they may be more competitive this year but they should have handled their assets way better than they have the last 3 months. The return could have been so much more.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It concisely provides information.

No it doesn't. There are 20 names on that list and it flashes for a few seconds at most. It's a terrible gif and there's no reason for it to exist, other than someone thought gifs were cool. Form follows function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00