Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Mike Brown Traded For SJ 4th Round Pick '14

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
problem with that is both McGrattin and Jackman can actually play hockey where as Big Mac can't.... the line Gazdic Acton and Mac would be horrendous to watch in our own zone.

Double shift someone until he's needed.

I seem to recall Calgary beating us last season on the back of McGratton. I'm pretty sure he scored twice, and basically had his way with the Oilers because nobody could respond to his nastiness. He's not irrelevant, I'd take him on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

100% agreed, I really wanted us to try to land him this past offseason. Having him and Gazdic on the same line IMO would've been great.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I seem to recall Calgary beating us last season on the back of McGratton. I'm pretty sure he scored twice, and basically had his way with the Oilers because nobody could respond to his nastiness. He's not irrelevant, I'd take him on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

What game was that?

I think he scored on us once in a game we were winning 4-0...

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
We lack toughness so we trade Brown?

Don't fully understand this deal. Lets hope there's another deal in the works here, otherwise I'm not too happy about this.

Mike Brown is a 4th liner. Gadzic is a 4th liner. Eager is a 4th liner. Acton is a 4th liner. MacIntyre (injured) is a 4th liner at best. You should never have more than 3 of these guys in the lineup at any give time (3 is too many IMO), so why have 5?

We lose zero toughness by trading Brown.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Mike Brown is a 4th liner. Gadzic is a 4th liner. Eager is a 4th liner. Acton is a 4th liner. MacIntyre (injured) is a 4th liner at best. You should never have more than 3 of these guys in the lineup at any give time (3 is too many IMO), so why have 5?

We lose zero toughness by trading Brown.

I disagree with that statement unless Eager plays like how he should. Brown was a much more willing combatant than Eager.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
From what I understand, we weren't at the 50 contract limit before. Moving Brown gives us extra wiggle room, but we weren't unable to add before hand.

No, that's why I think that it probably indicates more significant roster moves to come. I don't think that it is a mistake to suggest that MacTavish is actively working to improve his roster.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I disagree with that statement unless Eager plays like how he should. Brown was a much more willing combatant than Eager.

Who was losing every fight. I can do without that kind of Eager..:D

Maybe the real Eager will at least scare somebody occasionally.

Really I have no idea what people see in Mike Brown as a hockey player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who was losing every fight. I can do without that kind of Eager..:D

Maybe the real Eager will at least scare somebody occasionally.

Really I have no idea what people see in Mike Brown as a hockey player.

A hard working overachiever that will bleed for his team, a class act IMO.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
How many players like Brown do we really have? Eager wont fight. Or even hit for that matter. Mac cant skate. Gazdic?

Meanwhile we have six or seven eighth defensemen.

I don't deny more moves have to happen. But we didn't really need Brown. Gazdic does everything he does. And how many 5-10 minute a night 4th line tough guy wingers do we need?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wasn't it just last year that everyone loved Brown and the energy, aggression and hustle he brought to the Oilers...Wow things change fast around here! Is Mac T ever going to make those bold moves, he is starting to be all talk and no action AND the Oilers still suck.

The people that don't see anything in Mike Browns play or contribution are pretty much the same people that didn't buy it when he got here.

Man people were talking this guy up like he was Eddie Shack with fists. Toronto posters and some media really played this waiver worthy player up. Not really sure why.

The moustache, the Goon resemblance. Seems like nothing more than slapstick at work here.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A hard working overachiever that will bleed for his team, a class act IMO.

I saw a player that looked disinterested much of the time and stopped even performing his role. Mike Brown was getting rag dolled in scrums on this road trip. Looks even lighter than last year. Not in a good way.

He's a pint sized fighter. There are no weight classes in hockey fighting. If you can't hang around you can't. Theres not one fighter in the NHL that would be intimidated by Mike Brown. Eager cleaned his clock and Brown would be in traction if the refs didn't stop it.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
What game was that?

I think he scored on us once in a game we were winning 4-0...

You're right, it was that game and he only scored once. April 1st. He was seriously running that game though, the score makes the Oilers look way better than they were in that game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
No doubt the guy is full of try, and I'm sure he's a good teammate but what exactly has Brown acheived?
Not much else to say.

50718.jpg

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I saw a player that looked disinterested much of the time and stopped even performing his role. Mike Brown was getting rag dolled in scrums on this road trip. Looks even lighter than last year. Not in a good way.

He's a pint sized fighter. There are no weight classes in hockey fighting. If you can hang around you can't. Theres not one fighter in the NHL that would be intimidated by Mike Brown. Eager cleaned his clock and Brown would be in traction if the refs didn't stop it.

He's not the biggest guy but he can chuck 'em. And yeah there are no weight classes that's why Gagner has fought Magrattan before right? That's nonsense, there are defined weight classes in the league.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
No, that's why I think that it probably indicates more significant roster moves to come. I don't think that it is a mistake to suggest that MacTavish is actively working to improve his roster.

That last part is certainly true. All indications are that's been the case from day 1 on the job, but that still doesn't mean this move is a precursor to something big happening either. Like I said before. This is a perfectly reasonable and commendable move on its own. No need to think anything else has to happen as a result.

DB21

Jun 11, 2007
Just a Thought. This was clearly a contract dump for a upcoming trade. Is there more to the fact that Eberle was all of the sudden Not practicing with the team today? My gut tells me he is in play for sure

Oct 15, 2008
Just a Thought. This was clearly a contract dump for a upcoming trade. Is there more to the fact that Eberle was all of the sudden Not practicing with the team today? My gut tells me he is in play for sure

Now youve got me worried.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He's not the biggest guy but he can chuck 'em. And yeah there are no weight classes that's why Gagner has fought Magrattan before right? That's nonsense, there are defined weight classes in the league.

Are there?

No, there isn't.

Its heavyweight or bust for the most part. There are players like Tootoo, that resemble actual hockey players and happen to be able to fight. They're not there just for the fights. Thats the difference.

Few other teams carry lightweights that can't play hockey, can't fight, and expect to accomplish much of anything with it.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton

He has missed two practices. I can't see him getting shipped.

Oct 15, 2008
Why do we need two players that play the exact same game on the 4th line? Couldn't Jones, Smyth or Joensuu take that other spot and offer a different dynamic to the line?

Because that is what the fourth line is for. Banging, crashing, causing mayhem and headaches for the opposition. What good is Jones or Smyth on the fourth line? Neither hits much or brings much energy. Joensuu could work there, but he has been playing well enough to be in the top nine.

We dont have someone better to put on the fourth line for that role. Unless Pitlick is going to be that guy. I dont think he is consistent enough to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad