Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Mike Brown Traded For SJ 4th Round Pick '14

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Blows my mind people aren't happy with this Brown trade. Only a few people here, mind, but wow twitter has a number of Brown defenders.

Unless its a crazy trade I can't see Ebs or Yakupov going, I think Smid could be a possibility for another d-man.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
It makes very little sense to move an established player for an up and coming player when there's room for both.

It's like dealing Hall to make room for Yakupov.

I don't disagree. I'm just clinging on to the glimmer of hope that Weber might get traded since they have a potential #1 now. Although with all the money they have invested in Weber and Rinne, they'd be wise to roll with Jones and have another great top pairing like they did with Suter and Weber. But yea, if you're paying $7mil for your goalie, your defense has to be solid.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This trade was a triple win for us. We gain freedom to add another contract if a deal comes up, we get a draft pick, and we remove the worst player on our roster who's one skill can be provided by 3 other guys you're already paying NHL salaries.

Whatever they decide to do with MacIntyre is irrelevant IMO.

I tend to agree. I was a Brown supporter during the preseason, but Gazdic brings everything Brown does, and more. He wasn't really needed anymore. If this move is it, I am cool with the roster change.

There won't be a major trade.

You are probably right. Treena is right once in a blue moon. I guess I am just on the edge because if Hall's injury is long term, I could see MacT deciding to not throw away the season, at the expense of the future.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't disagree. I'm just clinging on to the glimmer of hope that Weber might get traded since they have a potential #1 now. Although with all the money they have invested in Weber and Rinne, they'd be wise to roll with Jones and have another great top pairing like they did with Suter and Weber. But yea, if you're paying $7mil for your goalie, your defense has to be solid.

They wouldn't have matched Philly's OS just to trade him away. The Predators have already lost a couple quality defensemen in Hamhuis and Suter, they'll likely cling to Weber like grim death.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
They wouldn't have matched Philly's OS just to trade him away. The Predators have already lost a couple quality defensemen in Hamhuis and Suter, they'll likely cling to Weber like grim death.

Well after losing Suter that same summer for nothing they couldn't just let Weber walk. Didn't they barely come up with the money to pay Weber because of the front loaded contract? I think now that they have a young stud in Jones that Weber has a chance, however slight it may be, to get moved. Before Jones there was zero chance.

Oct 15, 2008
There are multiple issues that need to be fixed. Roster flexibility at the expense of an extraneous player isn't a bad move.

How many players like Brown do we really have? Eager wont fight. Or even hit for that matter. Mac cant skate. Gazdic?

Meanwhile we have six or seven eighth defensemen.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
This trade was a triple win for us. We gain freedom to add another contract if a deal comes up, we get a draft pick, and we remove the worst player on our roster who's one skill can be provided by 3 other guys you're already paying NHL salaries.

Whatever they decide to do with MacIntyre is irrelevant IMO.

As you mention, this trade gives the Oilers the freedom to add another contract, which is significant here. I suspect that this trade indicates some player moves to be coming in fairly short order. It should be interesting in the next week or so around here to watch this unfold. The Brown trade is a minor, though significant, deal, but it leads one to believe that more moves are coming soon.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
There are plenty of reasons to trade Mike Brown for a pick (or anything, really). It doesn't have to mean anything else is in the works.

Yes, we only have 10 NHL forwards with the Pitlick call-up and the injuries, but that was also true before we traded Brown.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
As you mention, this trade gives the Oilers the freedom to add another contract, which is significant here. I suspect that this trade indicates some player moves to be coming in fairly short order. It should be interesting in the next week or so around here to watch this unfold. The Brown trade is a minor, though significant, deal, but it leads one to believe that more moves are coming soon.

From what I understand, we weren't at the 50 contract limit before. Moving Brown gives us extra wiggle room, but we weren't unable to add before hand.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
There are plenty of reasons to trade Mike Brown for a pick (or anything, really). It doesn't have to mean anything else is in the works.

Yes, we only have 10 NHL forwards with the Pitlick call-up and the injuries, but that was also true before we traded Brown.

I thought Pitlick had a better camp than Brown and Eager. I have no problem either with this move.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I respect Mike Brown the person and his pugilistic skills but I think that we can do better in his role so I wish him the best of luck in SJ and respect the organizations decision to move on from him.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
We lack toughness so we trade Brown?

Don't fully understand this deal. Lets hope there's another deal in the works here, otherwise I'm not too happy about this.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Handicap for who, exactly? A couple of irrelevant meatheads on Calgary shouldn't be any concern.

I seem to recall Calgary beating us last season on the back of McGratton. I'm pretty sure he scored twice, and basically had his way with the Oilers because nobody could respond to his nastiness. He's not irrelevant, I'd take him on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad