Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Mike Brown Traded For SJ 4th Round Pick '14

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why do we need two players that play the exact same game on the 4th line? Couldn't Jones, Smyth or Joensuu take that other spot and offer a different dynamic to the line?

Joensuu? Sure if he can stay healthy, the others? No thanks.

Are there?

No, there isn't.

Its heavyweight or bust for the most part. There are players like Tootoo, that resemble actual hockey players and happen to be able to fight. They're not there just for the fights. Thats the difference.

Few other teams carry lightweights that can't play hockey, can't fight, and expect to accomplish much of anything with it.

Matt Martin, Steve Ott, Tootoo, Dorsett, do I need to name more? It is not just heavyweight or bust and more often than not these guys don't take on the big boys.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
The worst hockey player ive seen for this team in a very long time. There must have been a ton of guys in the A disgusted that this guy had an NHL gig instead of them.

scliff

Nov 28, 2009
Is there more to the fact that Eberle was all of the sudden Not practicing with the team today?
He got knocked around a bit last game and is probably just taking a couple days off to rest up. Hopefully nothing serious.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I disagree with that statement unless Eager plays like how he should. Brown was a much more willing combatant than Eager.

The Oilers are shorthanded up front now with injuries, and need to be able to use a full, more complete roster, one that includes a fourth line playing more minutes that can chip in offensively periodically. To be more effective, the fourth line needs to play with greater frequency, and Brown might have limited that possibility with his play. Brown is a tough as nails but is also classed as a middle weight. Gazdic replaces and improves upon the toughness aspect over Brown, while also being a better hockey player. Pitlick is obviously a better player than Brown and brings a physical presence with his hits as well.

I think that the Oilers are probably interested in more functional toughness throughout the line up as well and on the ice with greater frequency. The Oilers have been looking to add some additional toughness on the blueline, where it is sorely needed. Pittsburgh's Engelland has been mentioned as a player of interest for the Oilers.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The worst hockey player ive seen for this team in a very long time. There must have been a ton of guys in the A disgusted that this guy had an NHL gig instead of them.

No one will ever embarrass this franchise and be more terrible than Zach Huggy Bear Stortini. Simply awful. Smac was/is pretty bad too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Oilers are shorthanded up front now with injuries, and need to be able to use a full, more complete roster, one that includes a fourth line playing more minutes that can chip in offensively periodically. To be more effective, the fourth line needs to play with greater frequency, and Brown might have limited that possibility with his play. Brown is a tough as nails but is also classed as a middle weight. Gazdic replaces and improves upon the toughness aspect over Brown, while also being a better hockey player. Pitlick is obviously a better player than Brown and brings a physical presence with his hits as well.

I think that the Oilers are probably interested in more functional toughness throughout the line up as well and on the ice with greater frequency. The Oilers have been looking to add some additional toughness on the blueline, where it is sorely needed. Pittsburgh's Engelland has been mentioned as a player of interest for the Oilers.

IMO replacing Brown with Pitlick is an upgrade on skill and hitting but a downgrade in the fisticuffs department. That means that we have Gadic as pretty much the only guy that will drop 'em on our club other than Acton I suppose. IMO Eager if the call-up to replace Brown while Pitlick is called up to play in the top 9 or perhaps opposite of Eager on the 4th line when we play teams without a legit goon.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Just a Thought. This was clearly a contract dump for a upcoming trade. Is there more to the fact that Eberle was all of the sudden Not practicing with the team today? My gut tells me he is in play for sure

That's a scary thought.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I remember predicting this failed experiment when we traded for him. I respected his effort level and mustache, but he just didn't bring enough to the game.

He didn't know how to hit without going way out of position, which resulted in him chasing the play for entire shifts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Joensuu? Sure if he can stay healthy, the others? No thanks.

Matt Martin, Steve Ott, Tootoo, Dorsett, do I need to name more? It is not just heavyweight or bust and more often than not these guys don't take on the big boys.

All these guys are hockey players in my book. you missed my whole point. Don't know Matt Martin tbh. Guys like the bolded can intimidate just with heat seeking missile hitting ability and not cost team any penalty. Mike Brown isn't an effective enough skater to really paste guys with open ice stuff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
All these guys are hockey players in my book. Don't know Matt Martin tbh. Guys like the bolded can intimidate just with heat seeking missile hitting ability and not cost team any penalty. Mike Brown isn't an effective enough skater to really paste guys with open ice stuff.

You said no defined weight class, regardless of their abilities they are light heavies a defined weight class.

The Perfect Human*

Brown goes to SJS. Watch him become the second coming of Sobotka or something. Knowing our luck, that's probably what's going to happen.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
No one will ever embarrass this franchise and be more terrible than Zach Huggy Bear Stortini. Simply awful. Smac was/is pretty bad too.

No way. At least Stortini could kind of play hockey and Smac could kill people. Its nice that Brown went with everybody but scared nobody and was awful at actual hockey.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Brown goes to SJS. Watch him become the second coming of Sobotka or something. Knowing our luck, that's probably what's going to happen.

Sobotka was highly skilled when he was in Providence, I don't see the comp at all. That said he could be a good trooper for them and fill a role on a team much better than ours. What are the odds that he fills Lapierre in the next time that SJ plays St. Louis?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You said no defined weight class, regardless of their abilities they are light heavies a defined weight class.

They're hockey players first. They happen to be able to fight second.

Steve OTT being one of the best pure hitters in hockey anywhere is invaluable just for that ability.

Its the guy that hurt you seriously just with a legal hockey play that makes everybody careful on every shift. THAT is intimidation. Not some squared off dance dates arranged at the faceoff.

Guys like Steve Ott impact hockey, and anybody on the ice, because they can, and will Paste anybody on the ice. EVERYBODY needs to fear that. I have that on my club anytime. You have people like that and the other club is hearing footsteps all the time.

Mike Brown has zero impact on the game of hockey or on actual other hockey players. Anybody with even a modicum of skating ability can get away from a Mike Brown hit. Not so with an Ott or Torres type hit. Thats the stuff this club could use. Those guys can get to, and find the talented players.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No way. At least Stortini could kind of play hockey and Smac could kill people. Its nice that Brown went with everybody but scared nobody and was awful at actual hockey.

Stortini was embarrassing, even other teams fighters would laugh at him.

The Perfect Human*

Maybe this is organizational frustration that no one could step in and defend Hall after his injury?

Maybe this is posturing for a Tootoo trade - a player that's an upgrade defensively and hockey-IQ wise.

Maybe these is the preamble to a bigger trade? Eberle missing 2 practises in a row with no real injury apparent. Maybe they want to keep him healthy for this trade?

Either way - Mac-T has taken a team riddled with injuries up front (Hall, Smyth, Joensuu, Eberle) and gotten rid of another forward that started the season with us. Unless he's got high hopes for Eager/Pitlick actually being successful, things look ugly heading into the next stretch of games.

Perron-RNH-Hemsky
Jones-Arcobello-Yakupov
Eager-Gordon-Pitlick
Gazdic-Brown-????

Either way. Brown is an asset we picked up for a 3rd rounder. Traded for a 4th year. Another failed experiment that's ended up looking like terrible asset management (Fistric for a 3rd was the epitome of this).

Hopefull Mac-T is just cleaning up Tambo's mess and doesn't intend to make similar deals like the one that brought those guys here. I hate temporary fixes.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Steve OTT being one of the best pure hitters in hockey anywhere is invaluable just for that ability.

Its the guy that hurt you seriously just with a legal hockey play that makes everybody careful on every shift. THAT is intimidation. Not some squared off dance dates arranged at the faceoff.

Guys like Steve Ott impact hockey, and anybody on the ice, because they can, and will Paste anybody on the ice. EVERYBODY needs to fear that. I have that on my club anytime. You have people like that and the other club is hearing footsteps all the time.

Mike Brown has zero impact on the game of hockey or on actual other hockey players.

A coach doesn't have to be scared about when they put a player like Ott on the ice. Thats really what separates him from players like Brown.
Ott can be effective in a top 9 role.

Thats what really made Brown and MacIntyre useless...their hockey skills couldn't even tread water against other teams 4th lines.

The weight class issue is pointless if you cant play hockey.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Mike Brown has zero impact.

You are moving the goal posts, you said that there are no weight classes and IMO you are 100% wrong, I show you numerous examples and then you start talking about how they are better players than Brown? It's irrelevant, they are fighters that are in a defined weight class and they seldom go up in weight class unless they have to.

I think his point is referring to players who only fight. All of those players you listed have fighting as 2nd, 3rd, or 4th on their list of contributions to a hockey team.

Brown was not MacIntyre, he could also hit and hit often, he could skate as well at least in a straight line. There are weight classes regardless of how "skilled" they are. IMO you basically have 3 classes. Tough players that are also skilled players ie. Iginla in his prime. Then you have the light heavyweights (Martin, Tootoo, etc.), then you have the heavyweights ie. Magrattan, Scott, Gazdic, MacIntyre, etc.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Prime example, does a guy like Ott fight a guy like Lucic or Chara? He'd be doing a great job of taking better players off the ice for at least 5 minutes. But the reality is that most of the light heavies steer clear of a guy like Lucic.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A coach doesn't have to be scared about when they put a player like Ott on the ice. Thats really what separates him from players like Brown.
Ott can be effective in a top 9 role.

Thats what really made Brown and MacIntyre useless...their hockey skills couldn't even tread water against other teams 4th lines.

The weight class issue is pointless if you cant play hockey.

Yep, the whole point is guys like Ott and Torres are able to play against, and see action against the other clubs top nine. They can also hammer anybody on the ice in the other clubs top nine and get to those guys. Not the easiest thing in the world laying into guys that are good skaters and not missing. Not only does Mike Brown not find those type checks, he's rarely on the ice against anybody but the dregs of the NHL who are imminently replaceable.

In a capped league this is known as fill. Only reason people like brown are even in the game. You need some low priced hired help to fill out a roster. Mike brown only impacts other teams filler, if that.

Last edited:

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and eager wont fight..............................................................................................................................brown may not win--but he shows up and sticks up for his teammates

can not say the same thing for eager

And who else fights on this team again ? Exactly.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Prime example, does a guy like Ott fight a guy like Lucic or Chara? He'd be doing a great job of taking better players off the ice for at least 5 minutes. But the reality is that most of the light heavies steer clear of a guy like Lucic.

The reality is that anybody with any talent looks at Mike Brown and says. "why would I fight you, what kind of trade off is that for my team"

This very thing happened multiple times on the roadtrip where opponents basically laughed off the challenge and skated away.

You know this. You have a vision of what you want this type of player to be able to accomplish. The reality of what occurs out there not being the same.

YOu like this type of player, this type of play, and you want its value retaoned.

But the NHL is largely moving on and the fight game becoming less significant than ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad