Confirmed with Link: [EDM/SJ] Mike Brown Traded For SJ 4th Round Pick '14

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A coach doesn't have to be scared about when they put a player like Ott on the ice. Thats really what separates him from players like Brown.
Ott can be effective in a top 9 role.

Thats what really made Brown and MacIntyre useless...their hockey skills couldn't even tread water against other teams 4th lines.

The weight class issue is pointless if you cant play hockey.

But seeing as there are weight classes for players that CAN play hockey I guess it shouldn't matter when someones that states that there are no weight classes gets his theory shot full of holes.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
But seeing as there are weight classes for players that CAN play hockey I guess it shouldn't matter when someones that states that there are no weight classes gets his theory shot full of holes.
Well Mike Brown certainly isn't that player is he?

For some reason you're not wanting to follow. A few other posters understood exactly what I was stating.

g'night.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The reality is that anybody with any talent looks at Mike Brown and says. "why would I fight you, what kind of trade off is that for my team"

This very thing happened multiple times on the roadtrip where opponents basically laughed off the challenge and skated away.

You know this. You have a vision of what you want this type of player to be able to accomplish. The reality of what occurs out there not being the same.

YOu like this type of player, this type of play, and you want its value retaoned.

But the NHL is largely moving on and the fight game becoming less significant than ever.

I suppose you missed my Lucic and Chara examples? Both players are > Ott, Dorsett, etc. so why don't they bait Lucic and Chara?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's see how this started shall we?

I saw a player that looked disinterested much of the time and stopped even performing his role. Mike Brown was getting rag dolled in scrums on this road trip. Looks even lighter than last year. Not in a good way.

He's a pint sized fighter. There are no weight classes in hockey fighting. If you can't hang around you can't. Theres not one fighter in the NHL that would be intimidated by Mike Brown. Eager cleaned his clock and Brown would be in traction if the refs didn't stop it.

He's not the biggest guy but he can chuck 'em. And yeah there are no weight classes that's why Gagner has fought Magrattan before right? That's nonsense, there are defined weight classes in the league.

Are there?

No, there isn't.

Its heavyweight or bust for the most part. There are players like Tootoo, that resemble actual hockey players and happen to be able to fight. They're not there just for the fights. Thats the difference.

Few other teams carry lightweights that can't play hockey, can't fight, and expect to accomplish much of anything with it.

Well Mike Brown certainly isn't that player is he?

For some reason you're not wanting to follow. A few other posters understood exactly what I was stating.

g'night.

It went from there are no weight classes to "it doesn't matter because he sucks as a player anyway". The bottom line is that there are weight classes and more often than not players fight within their weight class regardless of if they are straight up tough guys or skilled tough guys.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
We had a shot at obtaining Kyle Clifford this summer which LA signed for a pretty cheap rate. Here is a young kid that can skate, hit and scrap. This organization did zippola to obtain him.

Pre season we get ran into the ground and the new motto is we need a heavyweight but he can't skate. Our 4th line is the least of our woes if we are bringing up Jones and Eager. Players that someone values but nobody wants to claim off waivers. WTF ?

If Brown is moved to free up a contract fine I get it. Go bold Mac T. If it doesn't happen it is going to be a long season.

I didn't see many teams being intimidated by Darcy Hortichuk when he was playing with us.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
Oilers really need a functional fourth line that can log some important minutes against the opposition without fear that they'll be hemmed in their own zone the entire time or scored against. Matheson mentioned Shawn Matthias might be in the Oilers sight lines, if he is available from Florida. He'd be an upgrade on the fourth line, and he brings a physical dimension as well. I'd like to see him added.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We had a shot at obtaining Kyle Clifford this summer which LA signed for a pretty cheap rate. Here is a young kid that can skate, hit and scrap. This organization did zippola to obtain him.

Pre season we get ran into the ground and the new motto is we need a heavyweight but he can't skate. Our 4th line is the least of our woes if we are bringing up Jones and Eager. Players that someone values but nobody wants to claim off waivers. WTF ?

If Brown is moved to free up a contract fine I get it. Go bold Mac T. If it doesn't happen it is going to be a long season.

I didn't see many teams being intimidated by Darcy Hortichuk when he was playing with us.

So did 28 other teams. Maybe the Kings had no intention of moving him?

His statline looks pretty identical to Gazdic's.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Proof Clifford was available? Being an RFA isn't the same as being available

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Stortini was embarrassing, even other teams fighters would laugh at him.
What's embarrassing is people still taking shots at Stortini.
Yeah, Mike Brown he's a hell of a guy - had what three fights for the team. This guy may actually be more useless than Smac.
Zach Stortini meanwhile fought guys that make Brown wet his pants. With guys like Moreau as "back up".

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Brown had 1 point in 45 games or whatever. His line was continually outshot and they usually didnt play the 3rd. His fighting and hitting, when they happened, did nothing to prevent other teams from taking a run at our star players .

In terms of team "toughness" if Brown was the toughest guy in NHL history but could only play 3 minutes a game, what does it matter?

This team needs toughness in the top 3 lines.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Thanks for the good mustache and beating up Tootoo once.

Very happy with this move. The fourth line has been so horrible. Moving any of em for anything makes me happy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I keep forgetting eager was not bought out this summer, how is that even possible,

Big body that can skate and turned his year around in OKC. At the very least he was going to be a vet presence in OKC at best that player we wanted when we signed him.

As for this trade, I don't mind it. Our 4th line wasn't used enough and I think they are going to try add some more talent to that 4th line.

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks for the good mustache and beating up Tootoo once.

Very happy with this move. The fourth line has been so horrible. Moving any of em for anything makes me happy.

The fourth line are all plus players to a man. Ales Hemsky on the other hand is well on his way to another green jacket with a -9.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The fourth line are all plus players to a man. Ales Hemsky on the other hand is well on his way to another green jacket with a -9.

Arbitrarily assigning an often flawed statistic to players as an indictment of their play when a team has had the goaltending the Oilers have had this season is even more humorous than the statistic itself.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Addition by subtraction here.
Can't believe MacT got any return at all for Brown.
Everybody in the hockey media world seems to think another move is coming.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011

Half the time, plus/minus stats do not represent the true picture of a player's worth and in our case, the defense and goaltender were playing poorly as well.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

There on ice save percentage is ridiculously high while giving up an incredible amount of shots against per minute on the ice. They are constantly hemmed in their zone. This is a positive move in my opinion.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
well, I can't add anything new to the conversation.
but I liked browns 'stache more than I liked the player.

not going to miss him, and it's good to get the contract spot back.
I know Eager can be a far better player, it's just that I don't know that he will.

no loss except that awesome moustache. my wife is really going to miss checking him out.

Oct 15, 2008
Arbitrarily assigning an often flawed statistic to players as an indictment of their play when a team has had the goaltending the Oilers have had this season is even more humorous than the statistic itself.

Arbitrarily?

A poster falsely tries to paint the fourth line as a "problem". The whole entire line is above the mendoza line. How are they the problem?

Meanwhile a favourite poster boy is flirting with double digits in negative goal differential and you are calling it a "flawed" statistic?

Do they not all play in front of the same putrid goaltending?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad