Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I love watching the Oilers pass up on solid prospects in last year's draft or Mitch ****ing Moroz, then trade one of our only prospects who can put the puck in the net for another hack.

**** this organization it bad

Some of you need to take a chill pill...some you speak as if Rieder is a sure bet to be an impact player in the NHL. Yes he was showing some promise but let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. Basically a small skilled guy for someone with size and a mean streak who has some scoring ability as well. Not the end of the world.

Seriously these boards are just becoming unbearable by the day.

The Perfect Human*

Rieder is 5'11'' 190lbs, can play C, RW or LW, is one of the best goal scorers in the OHL and one of the best two-way players/PKers in the OHL.

And we traded him for Kessy because he's big and can fight. That's basically all Kessy has going for him. He's got average puck skills among WHLers and awful skating.

This is what gets me the most - although I don't know much about Kessy - I'd been following Rieder pretty closely the past few years.

He plays such a mature, complete game in the OHL. I thought it would translate into some pro success in a likely 3rd line role.

He always reminded me of a guy that could be useful in a Rich Peverley kind of way. Peverley can play on all of the top-3 lines for Boston at any one time, and is useful because he's a good C, solid defensively, and has above-average offensive instincts that allow him to gel with every forward on that team.

I don't understand how the return on an asset like Rieder can be such a piss-poor talent. :facepalm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why doesnt Tambo trade for AHLers or bottom 6 NHLers with size? WHLers with size are so tough to forecast, atleast with NHL bottom sixers you know what your getting

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I don't see how this addresses our size issue. Our size issue is that our top-6 lacks size. Is Kessy going to jump in as a top 6 player any time soon? Ever? Is he even a top 6 player in the WHL?

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I'm really curious how many of the people complaining about this deal have actually watched Kessy play... 0?

I have watched him play and he is a long shot, difference to be able to out muscle small undeveloped players in junior with piss poor skating Pro level is complete different story.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why doesnt Tambo trade for AHLers or bottom 6 NHLers with size? WHLers with size are so tough to forecast, atleast with NHL bottom sixers you know what your getting

You mean like he did with Brown and everyone *****ed about how he gave up a 4th round pick for a physical bottom 6 guy?

I bet they have seen a lot of Kessy in the past few years and have noticed his development trending upwards.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
We just acquired Brown for peanuts. That shows you how easy it is to trade for these type of players. And we give up a skilled kid who's been developing well for...what exactly? Such a dumb move...but that's our management. *sigh*

eS7

Dec 22, 2011
Saskatchewan
I'm really curious how many of the people complaining about this deal have actually watched Kessy play... 0?

You have, correct? I would like to know what you think about his game, strengths, weaknesses?

It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually seen him play more than once. If I am wrong and you haven't then sorry! Haha

Also, what do you think of this trade?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't see how this addresses our size issue. Our size issue is that our top-6 lacks size. Is Kessy going to jump in as a top 6 player any time soon? Ever? Is he even a top 6 player in the WHL?

Youre right we should deal Eberle to fix that right :laugh:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
People getting upset over nothing. It's highly unlikely either of these guys ever sees the NHL.

Wake me up when the Oilers make a meaningful trade.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

This.

Size in the bottom 6 is easy to find however grit/size in the top 6 is rare.

Reider doesn't have either attribute but would had rather hold on to him in hopes of him becoming a 50 pt winger

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

This is Tambo's version of addressing an issue. "See we did something. We got an AHLer, look how hard we try.."

lol

We release Hordi and Eager outright and trade for an AHL knuckle dragger. We give up on one of our good prospects to do this.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
I'm surprised to see so many people disappointed with this trade.

When I check out the Trade Rumours and Proposals thread all I ever see is people suggesting we trade our small, skilled forwards for refrigerators with half the skill.

Posters here would complain no matter what Tambo does.

Even when it addresses organizational needs.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad