Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I really don't know, nor do I care to be honest. If we're worried about what prospects like these two are going to do to help this team win Cups, we're in more trouble than I thought.

Ya geez, don't all teams get their players from drafting sure thing #1 overalls? If the Oilers want to contend they need to start turning 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks into real players.

The Perfect Human*

5.0D is as bad as it gets for a prospect ranking.

I'll admit I don't know much about the kid.

But 5.0 = potential to be a 4th liner
D = Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings

This seems worse than Abney to me.

metallicat

Aug 9, 2003
Edson, AB
Visit site
Ya geez, don't all teams get their players from drafting sure thing #1 overalls? If the Oilers want to contend they need to start turning 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks into real players.

Ok, well when Rieder turns out to be a better pro than this guy, you can bring this up and laugh in my face. And when Kessy turns out to be a better pro than Rieder...I won't do anything because I'll have forgotten all about this.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

It would be pretty easy to argue that Rieder and Kessy have fairly similar chances at becoming "real players" in their roles.

Maybe even a higher chance for Kessy since Rieder's role is so difficult.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
He's big, drives the net, loves to hit, can fight, and actually has decent hands. He's the type of guy we needed to add

Yes. MUCH. People need to look into him a bit more
Many of these guys were waived for free this season already developed Tambo passed on them . Poor trade

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Ok, well when Rieder turns out to be a better pro than this guy, you can bring this up and laugh in my face. And when Kessy turns out to be a better pro than Rieder...I won't do anything because I'll have forgotten all about this.

haha sure thing

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Do you anything about him other than what some HF writer rated him?

They dont even have his Birthday correct on their report for him lol.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Rieder is 5'11'' 190lbs, can play C, RW or LW, is one of the best goal scorers in the OHL and one of the best two-way players/PKers in the OHL.

And we traded him for Kessy because he's big and can fight. That's basically all Kessy has going for him. He's got average puck skills among WHLers and awful skating.

The Perfect Human*

I don't understand the insistence on drafting and developing guys like this when there's so many that are constantly always on the market.

We could have just kept Hordichuk in the line-up.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
I love watching the Oilers pass up on solid prospects in last year's draft or Mitch ****ing Moroz, then trade one of our only prospects who can put the puck in the net for another hack.

**** this organization it bad

The Perfect Human*

Do you anything about him other than what some HF writer rated him?

Other than a series of fight highlights (no goal highlights) and knowing that he put up a hat trick last night - nope.

But I'm reading scouting reports on him from various sites - all seem to say the same thing.

Abney/Czerwonka type of player.

Chooch

Nov 4, 2006
Edmonton
Reider was developing nicely. Could we not have given up somebody more reasonable for Kessy? This is an overpayment.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
I guess I'm just wondering what the point is of making this move at this time.

And why Rieder? He was starting to look like a very lucky find and all of a sudden we're trading him for a real long shot to ever help the team.

I'm curious if it was the Oil going after Kessy or the other way around with them going after Rieder.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Rieder is 5'11'' 190lbs, can play C, RW or LW, is one of the best goal scorers in the OHL and one of the best two-way players/PKers in the OHL.

And we traded him for a Kessy because he's big and can fight. That's basically all Kessy has going for him. He's got average puck skills among WHLers and awful skating.

These are my exact thoughts. This just seems like such a pointless deal to address our size issues, same as what they did last draft.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
He had 25 points in 31 games with kamloops, and 6 points in 4 games in the playoffs (are they still going?) so maybe our scouts see his recent pick-up as a good sign. If he actually has some offense, then I can understand trading for size.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
We can only hope that somebody competent thinks this Kessy can be more than an enforcer. To be fair, those comparing him to Abney, he's clearly better offensively.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Kessy had more points this year than Abney had his ENTIRE career in the WHL

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE

And we traded him for Kessy because he's big and can fight. That's basically all Kessy has going for him. He's got average puck skills among WHLers and awful skating.

Good post.

We basically just traded a smaller Paajarvi for Ben Eager.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm surprised to see so many people disappointed with this trade.

When I check out the Trade Rumours and Proposals thread all I ever see is people suggesting we trade our small, skilled forwards for refrigerators with half the skill.

Yep. This is that in a microcosm. An org that never knows what it wants. One day speed, one day skill, one day pmd, one day size, one day quick defenders, one day big D.

One gets the feeling of an org lurching from one tendency to another only later to adopt a new soup of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad