Confirmed with Link: [EDM/PHX] Tobias Rieder for Kale Kessy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I don't know enough about Kessy to make a real valid argument here... but this is a terrifying trade as of right now.

Bump.
Kessy - 2 pts in 18 games. Demoted to ECHL
Rieder - 8 pts in 10 games.

Bad times.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Way too early to call this trade. If Rieder only ends up as an AHL star and Kessy becomes a solid 4th line NHLer IMO we win this trade.

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
Said it then, and I'll say it now. The trade was garbage.

Rieder wasn't going to sign with the Oilers and go back into the draft so the trade was made to salvage something from the pick. Doing nothing would have been better?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Rieder wasn't going to sign with the Oilers and go back into the draft so the trade was made to salvage something from the pick. Doing nothing would have been better?

The sooner people realize this the sooner they should be far less critical of the trade. With all due respect to Rieder unless he's very strong for his size he's more of what we have an abundance of for the most part.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bump.

Bad times.

1) Kessy is a power forward. Reider is not. Power forwards typically take longer to develop.

2) It doesn't matter how many points Rieder has, he is a one dimensional, small scoring forward. We don't need any more players like that.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
1) Kessy is a power forward. Reider is not. Power forwards typically take longer to develop.

2) It doesn't matter how many points Rieder has, he is a one dimensional, small scoring forward. We don't need any more players like that.

I had never heard Rieder wasn't going to sign with the Oil until right now, still not sure it's true (no real evidence).
Didn't watch Rieder play much?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is there proof of this, or is this speculation?

I have heard several respected posters say this including Fourier I believe who I know for a fact watches a ton of Kitchener Rangers hockey. You could say the same thing in recent years for guys like Omark and more recently Rajala who took their skates and went home.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I have heard several respected posters say this including Fourier I believe who I know for a fact watches a ton of Kitchener Rangers hockey. You could say the same thing in recent years for guys like Omark and more recently Rajala who took their skates and went home.

..so it's speculation.

As the trade stands now, we lose. We'll have to wait and see what happens. If Kessy grows a brain, then hey, you never know. We might have a 3rd line AHLer in the making!

Cizin

Jun 30, 2013
Is there proof of this, or is this speculation?
Purely speculative on my part, I don't have access to privileged information. I recall reading that the Oilers wanted to sign him but negotiations weren't going well. There was a media quote, apparently from his agent or someone connected with his junior team, saying Tobias thought his chances of making the NHL roster within a reasonable period of time were low.

It seems reasonable that that's what went down, given that the period to sign him was closing and the Oilers ended up trading him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
..so it's speculation.

As the trade stands now, we lose. We'll have to wait and see what happens. If Kessy grows a brain, then hey, you never know. We might have a 3rd line AHLer in the making!

My bad, I didn't realize that Rieder was a NHL player already. We should bring back Rajala, trade for Rieder back, call up Omark and just rename the team the Edmonton Smurfs.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Bump.

Bad times.

Let's put some perspective on this.
OKC Barons have already had more than twice the amount of transactions they had last year (>60) and its only December.
Kessy is a victim of a #'s game because of all the forwards down there. Up until he was sent down he was PKing regularly and playing a bottom 6 role with Ewanyk. He's not exactly getting PP time or top 6 scoring minutes.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
My bad, I didn't realize that Rieder was a NHL player already. We should bring back Rajala, trade for Rieder back, call up Omark and just rename the team the Edmonton Smurfs.

Or, keep trading assets for coke machines. Might as well start drafting them as well. Hm.. This all seem familiar for some reason..

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Or, keep trading assets for coke machines. Might as well start drafting them as well. Hm.. This all seem familiar for some reason..

We need more Kessy's, Moroz', Ewanyk's, Khaira's, Betker's, Chase's etc. than we need more Gagner's and Hemsky's. We need size that can play and win board battles to give the skill some space on the ice to make plays. If they can fight on top of that then that's an added bonus.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
We need more Kessy's, Moroz', Ewanyk's, Khaira's, Betker's, Chase's etc. than we need more Gagner's and Hemsky's. We need size that can play and win board battles to give the skill some space on the ice to make plays. If they can fight on top of that then that's an added bonus.

Exactly..We've got plenty of skill but need the players that can, and will, go to the hard areas in the corner and in front of the net to win the puck and punish some opposition players while the skill guys make the sweet plays.

Lewy

May 26, 2011

6 names there. How many play over 200 nhl games? 1 maybe 2 if you hit the jackpot? I think the fact is that a lot of the players on the Oilers right now are unwilling to do what is necessary to win games consistently.
Gallagher is wee, but he ain't scared.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I had never heard Rieder wasn't going to sign with the Oil until right now, still not sure it's true (no real evidence).
Didn't watch Rieder play much?

I watched him a few times. He wouldn't fit on our big club, his skill set is exactly what we already have. No need for more prospects like that, we need to focus on building character prospects, bangers, crashers, and hopefully one or two of them ends up with significant scoring touch as well.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
6 names there. How many play over 200 nhl games? 1 maybe 2 if you hit the jackpot? I think the fact is that a lot of the players on the Oilers right now are unwilling to do what is necessary to win games consistently.
Gallagher is wee, but he ain't scared.

That's exactly why we need more of those guys. A small percentage of prospects makes the step up to the NHL, and we need some power forwards badly, so having a few extras in the system is good...one or two might turn into exactly what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad