Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
From the Leafs Id offer 2024 1st + Sandin + 2023 3rd for Gavrikov If I knew we could lock him up long term.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Return should be a 1st in 2023 plus a current NHL defenseman who is overpaid and has 1-2 years left on his contract.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
He would be a great fit in Ottawa but at what cost?!

I think an option would be to use Sanderson on the right with Gavrikov since he's played on the right before.

Chabot - Zub
Gavrikov - Sanderson
Brannstrom - Hamonic/Holden

That would complicate things with Pinto and Debrincat to re-sign though and I assume Gavrikov will cost quite a bit too on his next deal. Zaitsev would need to go the other way somehow or Sens would need to dump him at some point and that would cost something.
So, you'd switch Sanderson from LD to RD?

With cap going up & UFA 5-6M? Seems a bit steep. Don't think he takes 4 on a UFA contract.
It might be $83.5 m next year, or it might be $86.5 m next year. I don't think they've made the decision yet on which of the two it will be iirc.

Reactions: Boud

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I wouldn't say they have any area of strength on D
They have Chabot and Sanderson on the left side on their 1st & 2nd pair. Maybe you are thinking of replacing Chabot? Or maybe you are thinking of putting Gavrikov as the LD on the 3rd pair?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It’s never a bad thing to have good players lmao.
Sure, I agree. But, its also a question of balance. Things like salary cap and the assets needed to acquire the player factor in to the equation. Fitting a need is also very important.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Sure, I agree. But, its also a question of balance. Things like salary cap and the assets needed to acquire the player factor in to the equation. Fitting a need is also very important.
I’ll put it this way - if the Senators are/were in on Chychrun who is also a lefty, they have shown a disregard for balancing out the roster via handedness.
Obviously Right handed is preferred but I don’t think the handedness of good defender is going to stop Pierre from being in on that plauer.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I’ll put it this way - if the Senators are/were in on Chychrun who is also a lefty, they have shown a disregard for balancing out the roster via handedness.
Obviously Right handed is preferred but I don’t think the handedness of good defender is going to stop Pierre from being in on that plauer.
We didn't sign Chychrun and there's probably reasons for that. Neither did any team so far. So, I guess you can deal with hypotheticals if you want. If Chychrun can be a good RD and we don't give up too many key assets, then it could work out as a good trade. But, all we can do is "hypothesize" at the moment.

Acquiring Debrincat was supposed to change our fortunes as well. It's early, so things can still happen, but it's always harder to make things work in reality than it is on paper. If we finish low in the standings, do we move Debrincat? So, you never really know what was really good or not so good even when things look good initially.

BTW, I'd love to see improvements on our blueline and some better players. Its just that it involves a number of factors & realities that make things are little more difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAHJ71

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Considering that I have heard nothing regarding the extension talks so far, the trade seems to be a possibility.

Whether it’s now or at TDL, a first round pick is required to begin this discussion
So he's a top pair guy? I don't watch enough Columbus games to have an opinion formulated on Gavrikov.

He is a no brainer fit for Edmonton. If an extension can be done right away something like Broberg+ should be on the table.
I wonder if Holland is getting to the point where he would move Broberg. He was untouchable not long ago. Might want to give him a shot with the big club first, its hard to say.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
How is his skating and defensive game? Can he play the right side sometimes?
His skating is good for his duties and his defensive game is his strongest suit. He does play the right side as most Russian D men do (very few RHD in Russia).

His main qualities are PK, very simple and reliable game, he doesn’t turn the puck over on zone clearances often, he’s not hitting guys a lot, but he’s very good at tying the forwards up, apply physical pressure.

His offensive game is actually a bit underrated, but his shot from the point is weak

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If you look at the market history for top 4 reliable defensive d men rentals, a first round pick is a valid expectation
It's the top end. Sometimes they pull a 1st from a contender (with retention in recent years), but more often its a 2nd+. Only a handful of 1st rounders move ever year (3 to 5). Not every reliable top 4 defenseman is going to pull a 1st in return.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It's the top end. Sometimes they pull a 1st from a contender (with retention in recent years), but more often its a 2nd+. Only a handful of 1st rounders move ever year (3 to 5). Not every reliable top 4 defenseman is going to pull a 1st in return.
We received a first round pick for David Savard rental. Yeah, it was a lower first round pick from a contender, but nonetheless. I consider Gavrikov to be on the same level as Savard was in 20-21

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We received a first round pick for David Savard rental. Yeah, it was a lower first round pick from a contender, but nonetheless. I consider Gavrikov to be on the same level as Savard was in 20-21
There were also some retention shenanigans involved, but that's not a blocking issue for the Jackets in this case either.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Savard also had salary retention which added significantly to his value. I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'm saying not every player at Savard's level gets a first. If Gavrikov is that good, there's no reason to not ask for it. But you may not get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad