Rumor: EDM, OTT, TOR, LA among interested in LHD Vladislav Gavrikov

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Those types of stats are heavily contextual IMO and don't paint a very complete picture because team systems/personnel fits vary greatly team-to-team. For CBJ, our team systems (and goaltending) are garbage – our whole defense looks lost all the time – and our personnel back there doesn't fit very well together.

The reason he's seen as a shutdown guy first is because as a rookie he was playing primarily with Savard and that was their niche. Last year he played a lot with (and covered up for) Boqvist. When Werenski's been out the last couple of years, Gavrikov has stepped up and played big minutes.

Just from watching his game since he came over, I've seen him evolve from a shutdown-only guy to a two-way guy who can play big minutes. I think he'd be enormously valuable on a good team.

The market for Gavrikov (a big-minute, versatile defenseman on a cheap contract) is going to be big enough that his value will, as the deadline approaches, grow to be "first round pick plus good prospect."

Robinson also strikes me as a good add for a contender. Good size and instincts, great (borderline elite) speed and a really cheap contract. So, to me, it's more of "Gavrikov + 3rd for Broberg + 1st" with a Robinson-Puljujarvi swap added.

Thanks for the scouting report. Very helpful.

Regarding the valuation... still seems a bit rich for me.

I could see Robinson for Pulju, given Pulju's start and public trade requests have not helped his value.

Based on your description, I could see you getting a Chiarot return on Gavrikov, but that was a 1st, 4th and a recently drafted 3rd rounder who maybe had increased his value a touch (that's arguable).

Broberg is pretty close to untouchable for Holland and a recent top-10 pick. This early draft order still matters and while Broberg hasn't made the jump yet, he's been scoring now at at an exceptional clip for two seasons now in the AHL. He's easily still worth his draft position, and likely more to the Oilers since he's so close to making the jump (and on an ELC).

Broberg seems to be a 2 way defenseman, with his strength as a offensive man. The thing is that oilers already has 3 of those. Oilers needs defensive guys, that can bodycheck and be postional sound. I dobt get at all why Holland is so attached to Broberg, when he already had two of that kind in his house.
Doesnt Holland want to win??
The defense after 1 pair bleeds. Oilers NEEDS defensive stability. Do Holland belive that Broberg is the second coming of Duncan Kieth? The guy leaved a void after his retireing.

For fakk sake Holland. Get the DAMN D!! 1st, Broberg, Holloway on the tablr. You HAVE to do it.

You can get a D without trading Broberg. And if you are willing to put a 1st and Broberg on the table, you have plenty of options that are worth considering.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I could see Robinson for Pulju, given Pulju's start and public trade requests have not helped his value.

Based on your description, I could see you getting a Chiarot return on Gavrikov, but that was a 1st, 4th and a recently drafted 3rd rounder who maybe had increased his value a touch (that's arguable).

Broberg is pretty close to untouchable for Holland and a recent top-10 pick. This early draft order still matters and while Broberg hasn't made the jump yet, he's been scoring now at at an exceptional clip for two seasons now in the AHL. He's easily still worth his draft position, and likely more to the Oilers since he's so close to making the jump (and on an ELC).

You can get a D without trading Broberg. And if you are willing to put a 1st and Broberg on the table, you have plenty of options that are worth considering.
Holland wont. He rather trade draisatl ahead of Broberg.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

Totally fair, I think I was probably undervaluing Broberg a bit as I hadn't followed him a ton since his draft year. For some reason I thought he was in the '18 draft (when we got Liam Foudy) and not the '19.
Puljujarvi would be a nice change of scenery candidate for us. We don't really have any big wingers, and outside of Laine we don't really have any right handed wingers. And, despite passing on him in the draft, CBJ have been connected to him a few times now.

I think that, if Gavrikov is going to EDM, he'd make a lot of sense as a throw-in change-of-scenery guy (and cap evener) but not as a piece with much value on its own.

Value-wise, how do Holloway/McLeod compare to Broberg? Both of those guys fit what CBJ seems to want in a center (size/speed/compete).

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm traumatized as a Leafs fan to trust the scouting report of CBJ fans after they told us Foligno was exactly what we needed and he largely did nothing.

But I like the scouting report I see. I can be honest, I watched 3 CBJ games this season and I never noticed this player once. That can be good for a dman but I am not sure about paying such a high price for that. For example with Muzzin, when he wasn't scoring he was throwing big hits or aggressively boxing out guys and was noticeable.

I worry that his physicality is more like ZAR in that he hits on paper, but not a big hitter who impacts the game very much even like Lybushkin was last year which was very valuable to us. I also worry about his true ability to play defense and his shortcomings being blamed on the system.

If as advertised, I would gladly pay a 1st and maybe even a pretty good prospects to get him but it would need to be before the TDL (like Feb 15). However, I am wondering if the Leafs defense holds as it has been playing, instead of trying to find a guy to take Muzzin's minutes, should we instead try to replace his presence and go after an Edmundson type instead.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
In deadpuck era, you didnt need to be an extra ordinary skater and postional defender. You just need to be strong and mean.
It was an extraordinary skilled center that was needed. After all rulechanges, the skilled playerd got more room, and it became harder to be a defender. It took more skill. You needed to be smart as a chessplayer, like positional, great skatibg and puckmoving. You get easy exposed. That increases the demand for a great defender instead,and the pricetag for a C is lower.

Get the D, and get rich.
I agree with everything you have said. We need that #2LD spot locked down for sure. Maybe the #2RD space as well if Bouchard doesn't take some steps forward with his two way play.

I'm traumatized as a Leafs fan to trust the scouting report of CBJ fans after they told us Foligno was exactly what we needed and he largely did nothing.

But I like the scouting report I see. I can be honest, I watched 3 CBJ games this season and I never noticed this player once. That can be good for a dman but I am not sure about paying such a high price for that. For example with Muzzin, when he wasn't scoring he was throwing big hits or aggressively boxing out guys and was noticeable.

I worry that his physicality is more like ZAR in that he hits on paper, but not a big hitter who impacts the game very much even like Lybushkin was last year which was very valuable to us. I also worry about his true ability to play defense and his shortcomings being blamed on the system.

If as advertised, I would gladly pay a 1st and maybe even a pretty good prospects to get him but it would need to be before the TDL (like Feb 15). However, I am wondering if the Leafs defense holds as it has been playing, instead of trying to find a guy to take Muzzin's minutes, should we instead try to replace his presence and go after an Edmundson type instead.
That's always the key around here. Too many of us think that we if we convince the other side that the warts on our players aren't there, we will get a better return in the real world where real GM's are making these decisions, and not playing around online to kill time on lunch breaks, ha ha.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
In most other draft years the top 4-5 players are likely in the convo for 1st overall.

With such good chances of landing an impact player like that even if you don’t win the first pick, I’d say it’s likely that after Christmas we see the bottom 10 teams in the league start doing what they can to end up with a top 5 pick.

If you’re a GM at the trade deadline and you’re one of the 4-6 bubble teams who are on the outside looking in, are you going to spend good picks and prospects taking a shot on getting into the playoffs or are you going to trade your UFA’s and other tradeables in an attempt to try and collect another 1st in a deep first round while also improving your own picks lottery odds?

Reactions: Kurrilino

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's a myth.

Foligno was exactly what the Leafs needed. He also scored 4 assists in his first 4 games with the Leafs. Then he had a really bad back injury that took him out of the lineup. He rejoined for the playoffs but couldn't skate. It turns out he had some nerve damage in his back.

The whole Leafs FO + Keefe knew what Foligno was when they acquired him. He was a very well known player in the league. That you didn't get to see that player in the playoffs is a shame.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gavrikov is a shut down d by the accounts here. I haven't done an in depth watch to have developed an opinion, but if he is a very good defensive defenseman, then he's a fit in Edmonton.

I think he's a very good defender but watching Jackets games it can be hard to tell. It has to be the most chaotic team in the league the last two years. They play a very aggressive D system and breakdowns are a constant no matter who is on the ice.

A couple years ago it was a little more obvious that Gavrikov was a very good defender. He and Savard were a terrific shutdown unit back when the team had a structure to it.

He scores a fair bit too. He doesn't seem to have any particular skill with shooting or handling but he is fast and seems to know when to jump into the play. He led Jackets D in 5v5 scoring last year.

Broberg seems to be a 2 way defenseman, with his strength as a offensive man. The thing is that oilers already has 3 of those. Oilers needs defensive guys, that can bodycheck and be postional sound. I dobt get at all why Holland is so attached to Broberg, when he already had two of that kind in his house.
Doesnt Holland want to win??
The defense after 1 pair bleeds. Oilers NEEDS defensive stability. Do Holland belive that Broberg is the second coming of Duncan Kieth? The guy leaved a void after his retireing.

For fakk sake Holland. Get the DAMN D!! 1st, Broberg, Holloway on the tablr. You HAVE to do it.

I have no idea if Jackets FO likes Broberg but it might be nice for the Jackets to get Broberg back instead of the 1st. We're going to have a lineup hole at LD for him to jump into and who cares if he isn't polished, the team is losing and just wants to develop young players while they're at it. He'd get the green light to skate skate skate. And forget about defense, because that isn't a thing in Columbus.

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad