Waived: [EDM] Oilers waive Alex Chiasson (clears)

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Would not a Guy like Mcleod make sense to prompt? Feel like would compete in every shift

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would not a Guy like Mcleod make sense to prompt? Feel like would compete in every shift

with Haas back in we're pretty much set at C.

I think the org really likes Ennis, they just wanted to wake him up after a sleepy start. McLeod is 1st injury callup and fulltime NHLer next year I think.

As for this year...

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Drai-Yamamoto
Neal-Haas-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Archibald

I'd like to see something like this next game.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Doubt he gets claimed. Not sure what they were thinking with that extension. Profoundly terrible at nearly every aspect of the game other than having McDrai bounce goals in off him on the PP.

Had more to do with the cap hit than his actual value. Bennett's still ass.
What if I told you these things are intrinsically connected.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
How someone goes from

First PP unit to pressbox to First PP unit to waivers.

#Tippett
When u got Khaira and Bouchard on the taxi squad these moves get made.

Holland has waived Ennis, Khaira, Shore etc as well. He just collected too many bottom 6 forwards and going through them hoping someone sticks.
Turris could very well be next.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I know this isn't a Benson form, but I have loved this kid since his days with the Giants. I'd really like to see him on the Oilers. He reminds me of an Alex Tanguay type player where he was more of a skilled set up winger, not the trigger man. On a line with Drai, I think Benson would shine.
I think Benson has the tools to be a good player too, his speed might hold him back though. Its time to fish or cut bait with him though. If he isn't ready now, he probably won't be. Sadly, I doubt he gets a look in our top six though. McDavid needs shooters, and Drai seems to be glue to Yamamoto (rightfully so) and Kahun.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
When u got Khaira and Bouchard on the taxi squad these moves get made.

Holland has waived Ennis, Khaira, Shore etc as well. He just collected too many bottom 6 forwards and going through them hoping someone sticks.
Turris could very well be next.

I don't blame Tippett for putting a lot of guys through waivers. It gives him flexibility in his roster with taxi squad call ups. Better to put them through waivers early, before teams start having injury issues.

Reactions: mouser and Seachd

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Bennett is not being waived. chaisson is.
Yet. Bennett is not being waived yet. His entire value is built around potential. He's old enough that his potential needed to show more than what he has a year or two ago. So who is trading for potential, who has just asked for a trade for too little ice time?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
How someone goes from

First PP unit to pressbox to First PP unit to waivers.

#Tippett
Be glad you didn't get to witness the Tippett love affair with the corpse of Dave Moss first-hand. He even signed in Europe after his contract was up, and Dino Dave was in front of the cameras bragging that he'd been able to convince the GM to bring him back from Europe as his "most important right wing.". Guy couldn't get a contract with any other club, but Dave kept throwing him out on the PP and PK. Couldn't get him enough minutes.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He went on a shooting percentage and powerplay bender which saw him elevated up the lineup - he shot something ridiculous like 30% from Oct-Dec that year. It crashed down at the end, but because our organization thinks it's the smartest people in any given room, we still gave him a big fat extension.
I think the extension was more out of desperation than intelligence. They went fishing for a sniper and struck out. So they went back to Chaisson. Ugh.

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
with Haas back in we're pretty much set at C.

I think the org really likes Ennis, they just wanted to wake him up after a sleepy start. McLeod is 1st injury callup and fulltime NHLer next year I think.

As for this year...

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kahun-Drai-Yamamoto
Neal-Haas-Kassian
Ennis-Turris-Archibald

I'd like to see something like this next game.
Has Turris been that bad for you guys to warrant a 4th line role? I haven’t watched as many Oilers games as I’d like but thought he’d be in a good position to succeed.

Reactions: Chabot84

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He's absolutely drowning in the 3C role. Haas looked night and day better last night.
Yep. Turris has been bad enough at 3C, that I want to see what happens with him on McDavid's wing instead. We might not have gotten our 3rd line centre with that signing, but he has shown skill still, so maybe - just maybe - we have someone who can play with McDavid and Nuge who actually has skill. No offense to the effort shown by Archibald, or that one game of dominance by Pulujarvi intended.

Reactions: actuallynotPJStock

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yet. Bennett is not being waived yet. His entire value is built around potential. He's old enough that his potential needed to show more than what he has a year or two ago. So who is trading for potential, who has just asked for a trade for too little ice time?
His value is where it should be, regular 3rd line winger.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Even after being waived, some of my Oilers friends are not admitting that extending Chiasson at that salary was a bad move, lol.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
If I had to guess, there was maybe 2-3 Oiler fans that suggested that.

You yourself also stated Bennett would end up better than Drai, even after their D+1 season. Hot takes all around
Do you have proof I said that?

It's been a long time. I could be wrong for maybe the second time
I'm not going back 5-6 years through your history.

I'm sure quite a few Oiler fans that have been around since then will recall that though.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I keep thinking every game "THIS will be the one where Turris shows he still has it." And every game he leaves the coach and the fans disappointed. Still at only $1.65 Million he can be a 4th line center. I wonder if waivers are in his future too. Seems like the entire bottom six moves through waivers this year.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
How far Bennett's stock has dropped that people are taking arguments that he's worth something around Chiasson seriously.
Probably far enough that it wouldnt shock me if he ended up on waivers.
2.5m for a bottom 6 centre?
Crap last year and invisible this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad