Waived: [EDM] Oilers waive Alex Chiasson (clears)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He has been, multiple times, he’s that bad that he can’t even produce next to Mcdavid, or tap in pucks one of the top power plays in the league.

I swear if I have to watch him drop to his knees to try to get wood on a cross crease pass again I will lose it.

I just want him claimed so that Tippett and Gulutzan stop spoon feeding him PP minutes despite him earning none of them.

In fairness, Jesse P can't produce either next to McDavid.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Chiasson will easily clear waivers as nobody wants him at that price. He's worth about $700,000.
Another stupid signing by Edmonton resulting in slowly pissing away their available cap space in dribs and drabs thus leaving them in their current predicament of no cap space and a lot of terrible over paid players on their roster. Chiasson, Smith, Turris, Kassian, Pool Party... it all adds up.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
And Puljujärvi has 0 goals in last 26 games. Not much better either.

Puljujarvi's play is the polar opposite of Chiassons. Puljujarvi has been crashing the net, getting assists by hard work in the offensive zone, and generally making things happen. No one who is watching the actual Oiler games, and not just looking at a stats page, is disappointed with his play.

Chiasson is just.. there. I don't see that kind of hard work from him at all. He has been gifted with a ton of chances and hasn't done anything. Brutal.

Reactions: RattsSSV and voxel

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Puljujarvi's play is the polar opposite of Chiassons. Puljujarvi has been crashing the net, getting assists by hard work in the offensive zone, and generally making things happen. No one who is watching the actual Oiler games, and not just looking at a stats page, is disappointed with his play.

Chiasson is just.. there. I don't see that kind of hard work from him at all. He has been gifted with a ton of chances and hasn't done anything. Brutal.
Most of the time he doesn't even seem to be there. I can go for periods and not notice Chaisson do anything.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wow, I didn't think he was THAT bad.

I just don't like him much. He's had a bad start to the year, but he has had good stretches in the past for the Oilers. He's frustrating. Sometimes you see him and you think he should be a middle six forward, and could be if he put the work in. Then he stops putting the work in, and he is invisible. To top it off, he isn't really the type that will thrive in a checking role, so if you don't have room on your scoring line, you don't want him. And he isn't good enough for most teams' scoring lines. There is a reason that he has been on bad teams for nearly his entire career.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Chiasson seems like a good guy but he’s always been a nothing player. Just sort of mediocre in every way and is prone to stupid penalties

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Chiasson seems like a good guy but he’s always been a nothing player. Just sort of mediocre in every way and is prone to stupid penalties
Just another depth guy you'd like to have on the cheap in case of injuries in my opinion. He's not terrible for a bottom sixer, he's just way overpaid.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just another depth guy you'd like to have on the cheap in case of injuries in my opinion. He's not terrible for a bottom sixer, he's just way overpaid.
I agree with this. Now that he has cleared, I like that we have him on the taxi squad. I would rather have him as an injury fill in than many of the guys we have had fill that role in the past. But I don't like what he brings to the lineup on a nightly basis.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Cleared waivers but apparently he is playing tonight while Neal, Ennis, Khaira, Nygard and Shore all sit out.
showcasing?

Reactions: BHD

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Cleared waivers but apparently he is playing tonight while Neal, Ennis, Khaira, Nygard and Shore all sit out.
showcasing?

Gulutzan's pet from the Dallas days I think. The move might only be for cap savings. Chiasson might keep playing for the rest of the season and get waived on paper every 10 games or whatever.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
showcasing?
Showcasing? No. Everyone knows who and what he is.
The sad thing is that the Oilers don't have anyone better to replace him thus Chiasson remains in the lineup by default.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The sad thing is that the Oilers don't have anyone better to replace him thus Chiasson remains in the lineup by default.
He'll be traded by the end of the season. He's one of the few guys that frees up significant cap on their roster.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He'll be traded by the end of the season. He's one of the few guys that frees up significant cap on their roster.

I don't get who would want him unless it's a dman for forward meh for meh. I'm more inclined to think this is a pure cap move similar to what the Flames are doing with Derek Ryan. The move is pure paper. Ryan and Chiasson don't have any significant changes in what they are paid, but the orgs save 1 mil cap by having them on the taxi squad. Rinse and repeat every 10th ish game played to "put them back" on the taxi squad.

Super long shot possibility for Mete vs Chiasson+?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
showcasing?
Just about 5 minutes a night on PP. Zero points and 11th among forwards in shots with 6.

He's been showcased pretty much every game he plays.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The way Chiasson is playing it wouldn't be a huge loss if Ennis, Shore, Nygard, or Russell who are the practice squad played.

Chiasson is one of the guys that you'd hope would've distanced himself from this group of guys that are interchanged every night, but he hasn't. He's also been giving the best shot to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad