Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Said it at the end of the last spec thread:

Strome obviously has talent since he was a top-5 pick. He’s obviously stagnated since, but like @Ola said, there’s a workable package there. The righty shot helps too.

I see this as subbing out a guy with a super low floor and higher ceiling for a guy with a much higher lower floor and lower ceiling. At least Strome will be a useful day-to-day player.

Reactions: Trxjw

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have had a day to think about this trade and there's really not much to hate, nor anything to really like. It's a so-so deal for either team.

Positive:
Strome is RFA in 2020
Strome can play on the PK
Strome is slightly younger

Negative:
Expectations might be too high

I think a lot of people will look at Strome and expect him to turn into a top-6 player because of how high he was drafted. My expectations however are for him to be a solid bottom-6 versatile forward. There is a 5% chance he turns into Brassard 2.0 who reignited his career after being traded here. Look at the comparisons pre-trade for both:

Career high in points
Strome: 50
Brassard: 47

Age when traded
Strome: 25 (6th NHL season)
Brassard: 25 (6th NHL season)

Contract situation
Strome: 3rd contract, 3.1m AAV
Brassard: 2nd contract, 3.2m AAV

I am not saying Strome is destined to have a Brassard-like resurgence but they do have some things in common. If Strome turns into a middle-6, all situations versatile forward, I think it's a really good trade for us. Time will tell.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Another thing to like about Strome is his shot, he actually has a decent shot just not a quick release but he’s a volume shooter and a RH one at that. He just lacks offensive creativity even though he’s more of a pass first type, we need to get him to shoot a bit more the play dies on his stick. And for people talking about his defense, it’s not even average, he’s not some defensive C, his defense is ok but don’t expect him to be good defensively. Shitty skater as well. Could be a decent 4C for us though and I’d rather have him over Spooner

Also, don’t expect him to breakout here, he’s pretty much what he is at this point and has declined since his 50 point year

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers PK is ranked 22 out of 31 according to NHL.Com. They give up a lot of untimely goals like on Thursday and not all is because of net presence. Strome's forte is PKing.

They have problems holding leads with five minutes to go. Strome is solid defensively.

This isn't 1991 or 1981 when your top guys play even strength/PP/PK. Today's game is about managing your personnel more than ever and saving your better guys for offense or crunch time. Ziba/Zuc/Hayes and to a certain extent Howden have been doing too much of all three early in the year. Also, I always say when building a team if you're going to be bottom six, you better off something other than glove dropping. Spooner once he went cold didn't.

I'm not going to sit here and say Strome can become Brassard, Sam Gagner's dad once he got to Minnesota, or even Brian Boyle 2.0, but if he can be a solid bottom 6er and do the first two things I outlined above, this trade is a win for the Rangers.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Unsolicited Oilers fan input warning!

Strome is an interesting guy. A lot of baggage in Edmonton due to the Eberle trade...there are a lot of fans that loved Ebs...so Strome had that to deal with. Also, it appears that our management was suffering from the smartest man in the room syndrome, in projecting Strome as better than he is...that's just dumb.

What he is not:

dynamic scorer, game breaker, clutch scorer, creative player. It just isn't there. This is a guy that simply can't piss a drop of offense at this level. He just doesn't process the game at that level. Now, that being said, we've got the greatest player in the NHL at 1C, and our genius coach never gave Strome a shot on the wing with him...so who knows if has the capacity to be a complimentary offensive player...

What he is:

Strome is a damn solid pker. He makes smart decisions with the puck, and is very rarely the reason the other team scores. Really solid defensive player. He seems to have decent playmaking ability too...something we didn't see a lot of, unfortunately. He also really seems to have a great attitude, and is by no means a headcase or problem player. I wish he was a cap min player, on our 4th line...that would be 3a damn good 4th line.

Is he done developing? Sorry guys, but I think he is what he is at this point. In a good year, he's a 30 point centre...that it. Nothing more. He just doesn't have a standout skill. I think he could hang around the NHL for a decade, but I also wouldn't be at all shocked if he's in Europe in a year or two.

Just kind of a meh player.
Does he work hard? Spooner really struck me as a lazy perimeter player. If strong works hard and goes to the net, plays solid defense...I'd call it a fantastic trade.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Like many, I think this is a good swap of Ryans. The Rangers and Quinn are better off gambling on a player with a pedigree than another mid round pick for spooner.

Strome can play center or wing. A right hand shot. Can PK. Some offensive potential. Still young.

Also, worth noting is from a couple different accounts, Strome was taking a guy like Pul under his wing in Edmonton. So, he might be a good fit with one of our young guys like Anderson.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Should have never brought spooner back. Total waste of 4 million dollars. Bad mistake for a rebuilding team that didn’t need both spooner and namestnikov should have been one or the other at most and neither should have for multiple years.
Are you Jim Dolan's money manager? Wtf do you give a shit about the 4 mil for?

Oh no, we signed a guy, suffered zero penalty for it and did so simply because there was a chance that he could play well enough to earn back a mid round pick. Didn't need spooner and namest? What's your point? Since when is every single guy on a hockey team "needed"? Every single team in the league has at least 6 guys on a team between the 4-7 D men and bottom line forwards who aren't needed.

...unable to drive any offense what so ever.

anyone here thinking this is good will soon think ryan spooner wasnt that bad

Spooner had 2 points so if Strome can play D he's already an upgrade

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Someone call Francesa and ask him what he thinks about this trade

That guy has spent his life sitting down, talking, hiding ice cream cups under his notes, spilling diet coke all over expensive broadcasting equipment, worshiping at the feet of better men and living through their accomplishments. Somehow, hypocritically, he sure does love taking a giant shit on other people having hobbies and interests that don't include movement.

His rant about Terry Collins accepting garbage from the Mets was objectively hilarious though. So when he isn't denigrating recently deceased comic book creators who have created and contributed more than he ever could in 100 lifetimes, he can at least be entertaining.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That guy has spent his life sitting down, talking, hiding ice cream cups under his notes, spilling diet coke all over expensive broadcasting equipment, worshiping at the feet of better men and living through their accomplishments. Somehow, hypocritically, he sure does love taking a giant **** on other people having hobbies and interests that don't include movement.

His rant about Terry Collins accepting garbage from the Mets was objectively hilarious though. So when he isn't denigrating recently deceased comic book creators who have created and contributed more than he ever could in 100 lifetimes, he can at least be entertaining.

"I done no hu dis gi Spoona is"

I think his NFL and MLB stuff is brilliant but my biggest problem with him is how he treats callers and when he talks about personal politics and horse racing. There is no place for either on a sports radio unless it's designated for a horse racing show. As for politics, I know most athletes and people who work related to sports lean one way while musicians and actors lean the other, but I don't feel like a radio host a supposed journalist specifically dedicated to a form of entertainment and leisure has any right to go on rants about his personal political beliefs during air time. It was classless and selfish from a man who is anything but humble.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Spooner wasn’t good enough to stick with the Rangers top6 and his game wasn’t the right style to play bottom6. The Rangers figured with the trade the new Ryan at least will be able to do the latter.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Are you Jim Dolan's money manager? Wtf do you give a **** about the 4 mil for?

Oh no, we signed a guy, suffered zero penalty for it and did so simply because there was a chance that he could play well enough to earn back a mid round pick. Didn't need spooner and namest? What's your point? Since when is every single guy on a hockey team "needed"? Every single team in the league has at least 6 guys on a team between the 4-7 D men and bottom line forwards who aren't needed.

Spooner had 2 points so if Strome can play D he's already an upgrade

Every team has 6 guys they don’t need? Umm suuuuuuure

Worrying about the point of my post I’m trying to figure out the point of yours. It was a bad signing and yes a waste of 4 million we may need. We want to sign Panarin? We want to maybe buy someone out? We want to take back money or retain some in deals we have 4 mil less to do it with.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
What happened to Spooner? He was great last year for that short run but he's been invisible all this year.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
That guy has spent his life sitting down, talking, hiding ice cream cups under his notes, spilling diet coke all over expensive broadcasting equipment, worshiping at the feet of better men and living through their accomplishments. Somehow, hypocritically, he sure does love taking a giant **** on other people having hobbies and interests that don't include movement.

Fat guys with sleep apnea are always cranky.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I’m totally into it and I’d love for him to go all Brassard on everyone. Would certainly piss of Isles fans. Which is of course a total win in itself.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I'm totally fine with this trade. I like it, even.

I don't think Spooner would've returned a whole lot with the way he's been playing, and I like the potential upside in Strome. 162 points in 360 games isn't bad production, especially when he will play physical off the puck. Better than some of the guys we have now who are allergic to contact. He might never live up to the hype, but a productive young player with still cost-controlled years is a good asset to have.

Namestnikov part II, perhaps, but if he'll still be a gamer even when he's not scoring, I'm cool with that. Better than Spooner's invisible man act, and I say that as someone who liked Spooner.

If Strome has some leadership qualities, then even better, and it fits what Gorts has been building.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Every team has 6 guys they don’t need? Umm suuuuuuure
I just microwaved some popcorn. please tell me about how indispensible and NEEDED (again your word is NEEDED) each specific 4th liner , bottom pair Dmen and 7th Dmen is. Tell me about how guys like Strome, Claeson, Clandening, John Scott, Prust, Betts, Moore, etc are NEEDED. So needed that they get the fewest minutes on the team, get paid the least and are frequently replaced by AHL call ups around the league.

Last I checked, teams have to have guys to fill those spots. Those guys are on the 4th line and bottom pairs specifically because they, as individuals, are not NEEDED. They're playing the most easy to fill spots on the roster and their skillset is the easiest to acquire.

Worrying about the point of my post I’m trying to figure out the point of yours.
I don't see why it would be difficult to figure out.

It was a bad signing and yes a waste of 4 million we may need. We want to sign Panarin? We want to maybe buy someone out? We want to take back money or retain some in deals we have 4 mil less to do it with.

Spooner does not stop us from signing Panarin so you're wrong.

We want to buy someone out? Who and why would Spooner be in the way of this? Wrong.

Retaining money to take back guys? Who? And why do we need that 4 mil to do it? We don't. There's plenty of ways for this team to generate some space. Wrong.

The signing was, is and always will be inconsequential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad