Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
lmao remember in 2014-15 when Isles fans said Stepan would be their #4C? Fast forward a few years and now Ryan Strome is literally our #4C

hehe I feel about Stepan recently; Arizona had such a nice run and suddenly Detroit of all teams win 6-1 over Arizona. :D

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Good trade we get bigger, younger a little bit more gritty. Also much bigger name (5th overall picked right ahead of Zibanejad) and he is an RFA at the end of his contract. Potentially we can get a better return for Strome. He also possesses some sick moves:

If he does this for us, then maybe we can finally forget Marek Malik.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I remember when Spooner signed a lot of people were concerned about how that 2nd year would impact his trade value. Well he fell off a cliff and I think it’s safe to say those concerns are justified now. If he was on a one year deal I think we could have gotten some sort of mid round pick and been done with him. With the second year, we were looking at a change of scenery type swap.

Not just that, but we also could have signed him and Namestnikov for less easily 3.5 mil was a fair value for them.

Not sure what happened to Spooner this season other than coach didn't like him and he got lost in the depth that many thought we do not possess. But he isn't very useful if he isn't scoring. 10 hots in 16 games is also much worse than 28 in 20 games.

Last edited:

PigeonCamera

Apr 17, 2002
Petr Klima's Trunk
www.katg.com
Unsolicited Oilers fan input warning!

Strome is an interesting guy. A lot of baggage in Edmonton due to the Eberle trade...there are a lot of fans that loved Ebs...so Strome had that to deal with. Also, it appears that our management was suffering from the smartest man in the room syndrome, in projecting Strome as better than he is...that's just dumb.

What he is not:

dynamic scorer, game breaker, clutch scorer, creative player. It just isn't there. This is a guy that simply can't piss a drop of offense at this level. He just doesn't process the game at that level. Now, that being said, we've got the greatest player in the NHL at 1C, and our genius coach never gave Strome a shot on the wing with him...so who knows if has the capacity to be a complimentary offensive player...

What he is:

Strome is a damn solid pker. He makes smart decisions with the puck, and is very rarely the reason the other team scores. Really solid defensive player. He seems to have decent playmaking ability too...something we didn't see a lot of, unfortunately. He also really seems to have a great attitude, and is by no means a headcase or problem player. I wish he was a cap min player, on our 4th line...that would be 3a damn good 4th line.

Is he done developing? Sorry guys, but I think he is what he is at this point. In a good year, he's a 30 point centre...that it. Nothing more. He just doesn't have a standout skill. I think he could hang around the NHL for a decade, but I also wouldn't be at all shocked if he's in Europe in a year or two.

Just kind of a meh player.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
sounds like a good winger for chytil

spooner would not have been good there

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Strome is an interesting guy. A lot of baggage in Edmonton due to the Eberle trade...there are a lot of fans that loved Ebs...so Strome had that to deal with. Also, it appears that our management was suffering from the smartest man in the room syndrome, in projecting Strome as better than he is...that's just dumb.

What he is not:

dynamic scorer, game breaker, clutch scorer, creative player. It just isn't there. This is a guy that simply can't piss a drop of offense at this level. He just doesn't process the game at that level. Now, that being said, we've got the greatest player in the NHL at 1C, and our genius coach never gave Strome a shot on the wing with him...so who knows if has the capacity to be a complimentary offensive player...

What he is:

Strome is a damn solid pker. He makes smart decisions with the puck, and is very rarely the reason the other team scores. Really solid defensive player. He seems to have decent playmaking ability too...something we didn't see a lot of, unfortunately. He also really seems to have a great attitude, and is by no means a headcase or problem player. I wish he was a cap min player, on our 4th line...that would be 3a damn good 4th line.

Is he done developing? Sorry guys, but I think he is what he is at this point. In a good year, he's a 30 point centre...that it. Nothing more. He just doesn't have a standout skill. I think he could hang around the NHL for a decade, but I also wouldn't be at all shocked if he's in Europe in a year or two.

Kind of the sense I’ve been getting. Maybe he’s a solid role player, like Pouliot was for the Rangers. Post-hype solid role player. I think Spooner was a square peg with the Rangers anyhow.
Thank you for the good dossier. Much appreciated.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
An interesting trade... why not. Now we have a little bit more cap space and nothing has changed. If we trade Kevin Hayes for William Nylander, we can give him $8M per year.. :cool: I know, it's pretty unlikely..

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
This is so not exiting. I'm also in the "rather have a pick" camp.

After reading some takes: If Strome is a reliable bottom 6 guy and great PKer (as advertised by the unsolicited EDM fan) that would be awesome.
Only issue I have is Strome's skating and that will not improve anymore at this point ...

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Spooner sitting in the box seats or even worse playing for Quinn(who i love so far but style wise isnt what spooner needs) wasnt helping. It's a sideways deal that's gambling that Strome can be an every day player and maybe displace MacLeod or letterri.

Reactions: egelband

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Spooner sitting in the box seats or even worse playing for Quinn(who i love so far but style wise isnt what spooner needs) wasnt helping. It's a sideways deal that's gambling that Strome can be an every day player and maybe displace MacLeod or letterri.

If he can PK and play RW till Buch comes back good . I don’t expect much but I also viewed Spooner as a throw in for Nash to make the salary work

Rangers have a few years to roll the dice on guys like Strome

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Like the trade quite a bit. Knew Spooner was on the outs and due to the 2nd year on the deal, a contract was going to come back. I think the by-line for both teams is that it's a 1:1 change of scenery hockey trade but overall I think it helps the Rangers a lot more.
Wins for NYR
  • RH Center Winger- Team has been short on those, and this is a great pick-up for a guy that had no role
  • PK Option- Can take strong side draws, and kill penalties, alleviates Zibs offensively
  • Scoring- Sucks now, but has been a prolific scorer in Juniors. Changed his game up a bit, but he did have a 50 point season in the NHL at age 22.
  • Hockey IQ- Say what you will about his skating ability, Strome thinks the game well. He's sound defensively, which was a knock against him earlier in his career, so he definitely worked on improving that.
  • 4th Line- Gives the Rangers a Plus version of a 4th line, especially if the offense from Strome picks up. If the stars align, Rangers could be in a position to have a bunch of 2A-2C lines upfront.
Downside
  • Skating- Not a speedster, and that's what is preventing his offense from taking off. You will need to surround him with fast wingers to maximize Strome's skill set.
  • Shot- Doesn't shoot enough, which was a big issue with the AV teams, but RyStro doesn't help there
  • Killer Instinct- Doesn't have that in him. Used to in juniors, but this is a guy that changed his game to play a role once he realized he wasn't going to be an offensive star. This can be worked on imo.
  • Consistency- Has never found an offensive groove. Development track shows just how inconsistent he's been. Quinny needs to help him find an identity for himself and stick to it.
I saw him in Bridgeport quite a bit back in the day, and thought the Isles were going to have a good hit on their hands. But out of all those 4th-5th overall picks they botched, Strome is probably the 2nd best out of the lot. Glad the Rangers got some pedigree, but also really happy with the RH C/W pick-up. I've mentioned the need for a utility player like that for a couple of years now, and I'm glad the team-building group went out and got that piece. He can also insulate the team if/when a Hayes trade happens.

He was quite an entertaining player back in the day.- But you will see a lot of that offense came from the perimeter & that doesn't translate well into the NHL.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Meh for Meh. Strome has the better contract situation, so there's that.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal

What he is not:

What he is:

Sounds like we got another Fast...maybe a slower one.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
They got him one game too late in my opinion. Maybe Strome being a recent ex-Isle (exile, get it?) would have exorcised our Barclays demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia