Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If he can hit 30 points and help our PK it's a very good trade. Our PK is bottom-10.

I can see Spooner doing well in Edmonton.

Reactions: kovazub94

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We save 900,000 over the next 2 years.
So we save 900,000 AND jettison Spooner? Wow. Not that the money plays a huge part here......wouldnt think so amyway, i guess it just goes to show how Edmonton has soured on Strome and ditto with Spoons. Just dont get why Spoons was so "invisible" this year and high hopes for him going in. Oh well, Strome strikes me as a kid with talent.....so again, why the no production? Linemates? Lazy? Dis-enchanted?

Think this will be good for both. Spoons will probably get to play with two outstanding Centers. Strome will find a happy place and maybe our coaching staff can get him going, otherwise he will sit, like his future teammates have done.

Now, they'll have enough to sign Hayes. :sarcasm:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
So we save 900,000 AND jettison Spooner? Wow. Not that the money plays a huge part here......wouldnt think so amyway, i guess it just goes to show how Edmonton has soured on Strome and ditto with Spoons. Just dont get why Spoons was so "invisible" this year and high hopes for him going in. Oh well, Strome strikes me as a kid with talent.....so again, why the no production? Linemates? Lazy? Dis-enchanted?

Think this will be good for both. Spoons will probably get to play with two outstanding Centers. Strome will find a happy place and maybe our coaching staff can get him going, otherwise he will sit, like his future teammates have done.

That was before I saw that the Rangers retained 900k on spooner to make it an even swap.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

No to the $900K. The post you quoted was made before it was reported we retained $900K. We save nothing they save nothing.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Please let Strome play over Lettieri. Get Lettieri out of here. Or McLeod but we all know that aint happening.

Strome is over a year younger than Spooner. Signed through next season as well, but is an RFA after that, not a UFA like Spooner was going to be.

I like the move if it means Lettieri or McLeod sitting.
Based on that, one would think the Rangers still have hope in this kid. May catch lightning in a bottle and will be here when the rebuild should be complete. Not having to deal with Spooner and his overpayment as they realized they made a huge mistake.

Spoons may have caused problems in the room, as there is no way he was happy......wasnt since day 1. Go back to Boston you crybaby, hell ........even worse...... Go to Edmonton!

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If he can hit 30 points and help our PK it's a very good trade. Our PK is bottom-10.

I can see Spooner doing well in Edmonton.

We saw it first hand how Spooner could get on a hot streak and be a ppg player. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does well in Edmonton either. If this is not just a trade for a sake of trading (doesn’t seem to be) then the idea is that Oilers will give him any chance to succeed including top6 role with excellent centers and PP time.

The Rangers got Strome for a different role that is not primarily offensive. Any offensive production above a minimum asked from a bottom6 player will be the cherry on the top.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

We retained 900k so the cap hits are the same

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
You know what, **** it. It’s our turn to **** Chia.

Strome will become a real solid middle 6 guy while Spooner is in Europe come June.

BOOK. IT.
Might be the 1st of 2 trades with them.
Just tested the waters with that minor one.

Hayes and Vesey for their 2019 1st, Puljujärvi and a 2020 2nd.

Chiarelli; " hey, I like you guys (Rangers) you didnt try and screw me by asking for a 1st as well.
So, lets do this now. (See above)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
McLeod-Strome-Lias would probably be the slowest line in the league

Anyway, decent trade, Stromes a RHS and is at least better defensively than Spooner

Its called the "old change of pace play".
Lull the opposition to sleep with our 4th line
Which will in turn, make our 1st line seem like lightning.
Kind of like starting Colon and then deGrominator! (deGrom, just in case you missed he won the Cy! Yeah baby!)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I remember when Spooner signed a lot of people were concerned about how that 2nd year would impact his trade value. Well he fell off a cliff and I think it’s safe to say those concerns are justified now. If he was on a one year deal I think we could have gotten some sort of mid round pick and been done with him. With the second year, we were looking at a change of scenery type swap.
But had he NOT fallen, couldnt we have gained something good BECAUSE he had that 2nd year? Either way it was waaay too much to pay him......what were they thinking? and imo were fortunate to get out, i suppose.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would be significantly less mad online if Lias was cutting his teeth with those line mates as opposed to Vinny Letteri and Cody McLeod.
Rome wasnt built in a day........give Gorton a break, even God rested on the 7th day. Probably watched football. Oh shit, that was sacrilegious. Oh shit, I'm going to hell. Oh wait......I am a Rangers, Mets and Jets fan.......need I say more?

Btw, why is religious spelled like that and.....
sacrilegious spelled that way? One of the many wonders.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Might be the 1st of 2 trades with them.
Just tested the waters with that minor one.

Hayes and Vesey for their 2019 1st, Puljujärvi and a 2020 2nd.

Chiarelli; " hey, I like you guys (Rangers) you didnt try and screw me by asking for a 1st as well.
So, lets do this now. (See above)

Where will Edmonton have the salary to take both Hayes and Vesey? The Rangers would have to take some contracts back....

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Are you sure? I thought that too, but then realized I was thinking of his brother.
I strongly doubt that one would be swift afoot, and the other slow......wouldn't that be hereditary? Or, is that something you work on?. I mean, skating is skating.....quick side to side, backwards, using edges and all that......but what about just plain old speed? Hereditary or no? Like running, your Dad was fast and so are you.....if you took your Moms speed, well then maybe you were slower.......i dunno. :faq:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would have liked to see Spooner get some time with Hayes before any move was made. I thought they some chemistry last year.
Imo, Hayes is the type of player that can have chemistry with just about anyone. He commands the puck, and when he has it everyone on the ice better be ready. He could make Ovie into quite the goalscorer.......oh wait......what?

All kidding aside, now that he is finally SHOOTING MORE, it makes him even "that much more" dangerous.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Spooner playing 2nd-line LW next to RNH at tonights game vs Calgary.

Strome allegedly a healthy scratch against Panthers.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He out-corsi's Spooner by quite a lot if that's any consolation - and he's right handed and can PK.
Call me crazy......but ypu know what? Im gonna say it, and ypu heard it here 1st!

After a little while, and maybe sooner.......I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he ended up being that RH shot in the slot on the PP. We have been so desperate to have that there, so why not? Especially if he shows us something offensively early on.

Change of scenery (especially coming back East and in the country) really might do something for him......I mean, hey...
who wants to play for Edmonton anyway? They have enough cups to "last a lifetime" and someone very high up with the Oilers definitely have sold their soul, to what they're going through in the past 15-20 years.

Sather? Aaaah shit. :sueme: Guess we were fortunate to get that one, but only because "the Messiah" did his thing and overpowered Slats, and his deal with the devil.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
I wont judge a guy that might just have needed a change of scenery until i have seen him play.

Nothing beats playing at MSG.

Anyone would look slow skating compared to McJesus. So take whatever Oiler fans are saying with a grain of salt.

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
Trade officially lost

The abnoxious suckage from Spoons was just a dark master-plan to get traded to Oilers where he can walk around in McJesus shadow and play ping-pong with Drai.

When it was clear Zibby was our resident-DJ he just had to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad