Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Im no genius but, if the given is Hayes is better than Lucic, then those numbers for Strome are much better than what Spooner's numbers are. Or am i not understanding those categories and what they present?
It's saying that Strome was good/better without Lucic, whereas Spooner was bad with and without Hayes, who is better than Lucic by a country mile.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
We saw it first hand how Spooner could get on a hot streak and be a ppg player. Wouldn’t be surprised if he does well in Edmonton either. If this is not just a trade for a sake of trading (doesn’t seem to be) then the idea is that Oilers will give him any chance to succeed including top6 role with excellent centers and PP time.

The Rangers got Strome for a different role that is not primarily offensive. Any offensive production above a minimum asked from a bottom6 player will be the cherry on the top.

That version of Spooner was with AV. He doesn't fit in with Quinn.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Strome is the better player.

This is a decent trade for the NYR..

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Appeared to be more engaged than Spooner was. Considering that's probably the first time he stepped on the ice (I don't think he's had a practice yet) as a Ranger that's not a bad debut.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Appeared to be more engaged than Spooner was. Considering that's probably the first time he stepped on the ice (I don't think he's had a practice yet) as a Ranger that's not a bad debut.

I think he'll be fine. Watching a thing on Quinn ( I think it's MSG shorts) that came on after the game. He looks to be much more engaged in running practice than AV ever was. He's demanding in practice, though he's careful to not push it too far. Curious to see what Strome will look like after going through the paces a few times.

Watching this, I feel good. Quinn is cognizant of the need to talk to different players in different ways. Seems like he has a good handle. Lots of stuff to still work on as a team, but Strome will be a good fit, I think.

Reactions: egelband and Ori

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think he'll be fine. Watching a thing on Quinn ( I think it's MSG shorts) that came on after the game. He looks to be much more engaged in running practice than AV ever was. He's demanding in practice, though he's careful to not push it too far. Curious to see what Strome will look like after going through the paces a few times.

Watching this, I feel good. Quinn is cognizant of the need to talk to different players in different ways. Seems like he has a good handle. Lots of stuff to still work on as a team, but Strome will be a good fit, I think.

I agree with you. I also think Quinn is very front about what he wants from individual players and he's going to look at Strome and figure out what he thinks he's capable of doing and he's going to ask for it. The problem with Spooner I think is the ask was outside his comfort zone. But Quinn has done it with a bunch of other players and when he scratches someone quite often it's to send them a message. He wants the players to buy into the program. The Rangers might not have a lot of talent comparatively speaking to the best teams in the league but if you can get your entire team all together on the same page it will be a team that's hard to play against.

I've been impressed with Quinn.

Another thing is this power play of ours is like the best power play we've had in a long time. Moving the puck around very quickly--crowding the net and shooting the puck. Quinn's constantly badgering them to take shots.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
He didn’t bother me at all is as advertised very Vanilla but he didn’t do anything to hurt us last night

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
One thing you notice immediately in regards to Strome as opposed to Spooner is that he was physically engaged. He went to dirty areas, initiated contact and was much better defensively.

And it’s not like Spooner contributed offensively. I don’t believe trades are zero-sum, so I don’t believe in “winning a trade”, but this looks like a good trade on paper. Solid defense and no mistakes are a great combination when it comes to checking lines.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Feel kind of bad for Spoondoggy right now. Dude has already been a part of 2 brutal losses in Edmonton. First game is a rough Battle of Alberta. First game is a particularly violent Battle of Alberta.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
FWIW

as many others have said, my only beef with this move is the retention. Not the 900k, the actual cap doesn't matter at all. Its the loss of a contract retention spot.

We can still retain on Hayes and Zucc. McQuaid will not cost that much in cap dollars at the deadline. Around $595 k in prorated dollars

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Spooner has nifty hands--he can make a play. A reason why he's never going to score a lot of goals for us though--he's got an aversion from going into areas that he'll have to pay a physical price and most goals come from those areas. He wasn't great on the backcheck either. The Brunis last year gave us their 1st and Lindgren and then threw Spooner and Beleskey to make cap room for Nash but also because Spooner and Beleskey weren't good contracts for them and they weren't for us either. And then.....I don't know why Gorton gave Ryan Spooner an even worse contract for us. I get it in the sense that Spooner put up a lot of points for us after the deadline but he was always going to be essentially the same player he's always been. The Rangers had a guy like him a few years ago--his name was Erik Christensen.

If Spooner has problems playing Battle of Alberta games I don't think he'll be long in Edmonton either.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Gotta say, I missed the last game, but I'm loving Strome as a bottom 6er in this Dallas game. Big, strong, physical, RH, not afraid to mix it up, and has some offensive talent.

Agreed. He’s actually contributing in one way or another.

Spooner reminded me of Pirri.. Noticable when he scores, otherwise a black hole of a “hockey player”.

Strome + Quinn seem like a good mix too. I think Quinn will help him going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->