Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner ($900k retained)

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Probably a good move by NYR. It's not hard to imagine that Strome is just the latest Oilers reclamation project who's going to find his stride in a better organization.

Do you forget he was also a reclamation project for the oilers? He’s shown nothing since his sophomore season.

Both teams got players that have struggled, spooner has the better history. Strome isn’t 18 anymore, I would be shocked if he suddenly figured it out, especially on a team like New York

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Maybe he's gotten his crap together but on the day he was traded, I considered it addition by subtraction. The extra cap space and a roster player were just a bonus.
Granted we haven't made the playoffs. I hear that is his major downside, total ghost. I would be happy to MAKE the playoffs first, then worry about Eberle's post-season performance. He has been a solid top-six winger for us so far.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Granted we haven't made the playoffs. I hear that is his major downside, total ghost. I would be happy to MAKE the playoffs first, then worry about Eberle's post-season performance. He has been a solid top-six winger for us so far.
He was a solid top 6 winger in Edmonton too. He just wasn't producing enough his last year here despite getting tons of minutes with McDavid to start the year, and he disappeared when physicality ramped up in the playoffs and became an ineffective perimeter player with below average play away from the puck. In reality we couldn't afford him at 6M for what he was giving the team his last season here. If he gave us 70+P playing with McDavid we likely would have found a way to keep him.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
strome was solid in Edm .hes had bad luck this year offensively and he's played with lucic sometimes .enough said. worthless ogre were stuck with

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’m sure other isles fans can back me up

The Eberle described itt by oilers fans is very different than the player I watch every night

Well I can assure you the player that left us was basically what people are describing Spooner as except better defensively (he was a tire fire defensively until his last season here). Soft, snake bitten and a ghost in the playoffs. Good on him to turn his game around after leaving, but trust me, myself and others wanted him out of Dodge in a BIG way.

If you want points it’s likeky Spooner but if you want a better 2 way player bottom 6 it’s likeky Strome

Both guys have potential and have dissapointed

Two way would imply that Strome puts up points too, that will depend on his linemates because he doesn't create much on his own.

Maybe he's gotten his crap together but on the day he was traded, I considered it addition by subtraction. The extra cap space and a roster player were just a bonus.

Agreed. While Strome was nothing special while here I for one didn't complain much about the trade because of how poor Eberle was for us in the playoffs.

This is not grit?:

He's bad at fighting, like a less skilled Sam Gagner. Besides the off fight he is hardly gritty (still grittier than Eberle was his last few seasons here or what I envision Spooner to be based on accounts of his play, which isn't saying much).

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Agreed.

Many people debated whether he’d get claimed on waivers - not that he wasn’t an NHL caliber player - but whether anyone would want to pay 6 million for a soft, one dimensional player who looked like he might not crack 50 points. Salary going the other way (which is what he was dealt for) changes everything. I’m sure Chia would have taken a pick (and the extra cap space) if it was out there, but I don’t think it was out there.

But fast forward to one good season with Barzal, and that’s the player we traded, just like Taylor Hall was the MVP when we traded him. All the Oil haters will frame this Spooner-Strome trade whatever way they see fit... which is why we’re talking about Eberle in this thread. Clearly we traded him for Spooner.

Reactions: McRpro

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
He was a solid top 6 winger in Edmonton too. He just wasn't producing enough his last year here despite getting tons of minutes with McDavid to start the year, and he disappeared when physicality ramped up in the playoffs and became an ineffective perimeter player with below average play away from the puck. In reality we couldn't afford him at 6M for what he was giving the team his last season here. If he gave us 70+P playing with McDavid we likely would have found a way to keep him.
It's true. It took a hat trick against the worst team in the league in the final game of the season for Eberle to hit 20 that season and he played a ton with McDavid. Ty Rattie looks better than Eberle did on McDavid's line and it was more than just a lack of chemistry that led to the low production. He wasn't playing well at all and his value on the trade market reflected it.

That experiment almost cost McDavid the Art Ross that season. Luckily he has crazy chemistry with Draisaitl so he was able to go on a run in the second half of the season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Agreed.

Many people debated whether he’d get claimed on waivers - not that he wasn’t an NHL caliber player - but whether anyone would want to pay 6 million for a soft, one dimensional player who looked like he might not crack 50 points. Salary going the other way (which is what he was dealt for) changes everything. I’m sure Chia would have taken a pick (and the extra cap space) if it was out there, but I don’t think it was out there.

But fast forward to one good season with Barzal, and that’s the player we traded, just like Taylor Hall was the MVP when we traded him. All the Oil haters will frame this Spooner-Strome trade whatever way they see fit... which is why we’re talking about Eberle in this thread. Clearly we traded him for Spooner.

I am just trying to defend a player who from my team's perspective has been quite useful. A lot of Eberle bashing itt. Not here to gloat but he has been a good player for us, not nearly as bad a player as you guys are describing. He must have really been struggling his last years with Edmonton.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Do you forget he was also a reclamation project for the oilers? He’s shown nothing since his sophomore season.

Both teams got players that have struggled, spooner has the better history. Strome isn’t 18 anymore, I would be shocked if he suddenly figured it out, especially on a team like New York
The Rangers actually have a positive environment going on right now. 14 players on the roster are 25 or younger. Chytil, Howden, Andersson are all in the lineup, there’s a bunch former 1st round picks throughout. David Quinn really works with our younger players, and has the team playing harder than they have in years. Competition, accountability, effort and solid play is rewarded. Lots of learning, it’s not a high-pressure situation; playing to win but without expectations.

If Strome is never anything more than a #4C for us, I’m cool with that.

Reactions: egelband

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I am just trying to defend a player who from my team's perspective has been quite useful. A lot of Eberle bashing itt. Not here to gloat but he has been a good player for us, not nearly as bad a player as you guys are describing. He must have really been struggling his last years with Edmonton.

Just IMO... Hall and Eberle were never forced to become well rounded players, basically free reign while RNH cheated towards defence to cover them both. Younger players McDavid and Drai created a new offensive line that wasn't quite ready for power vs power. The coaching staff needed RNH and Eberle to be the responsible vets line and neither did well with it. Eberle was clearly out of his element and frustrated. He tried to up his physical game in the playoffs and had to repeatedly pick his ass up off the ice. By the end of the season he needed a fresh start.

Ancient history, but there is reason for why some fans wanted him gone. I have no ill feelings as he just tried doing something different and struggled. It sucks as the Oilers could really use a right handed sniper.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Are we really 18 pages in on this trade? Two underachieving, limited players who have zero impact.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Oilers threads don’t end until the 2006 playoff run is somehow brought up. ~6 more pages is my guess.

You just brought it up. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

That said, Spooner wasn't doing much for us and was looking like trade bait anyway. That's not to say Strome is some young prospect who has this massively high ceiling.

It's just a gamble Gorton is taking to see if Strome can get his game going with a reset. We'll see what happens. Spooner, if not scoring, goes absolutely invisible. If Strome stays engaged with a two-way game, scoring or not, it's a plus.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Are we really 18 pages in on this trade? Two underachieving, limited players who have zero impact.
It's only because it involves the Oilers. Other team fans have to rip them apart every chance they get. It's very pathetic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Many Islanders fans wanted no part of Eberle prior to the trade either. They ones that watched the Oilers frequently knew what we were talking about. Sometimes a trade gives a player a fresh start and/or a much needed kick in the ass. Good on Eberle for stepping his game up for you guys, had he done the same in the postseason for us maybe he'd still be an Oiler today.

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
You just brought it up. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

That said, Spooner wasn't doing much for us and was looking like trade bait anyway. That's not to say Strome is some young prospect who has this massively high ceiling.

It's just a gamble Gorton is taking to see if Strome can get his game going with a reset. We'll see what happens. Spooner, if not scoring, goes absolutely invisible. If Strome stays engaged with a two-way game, scoring or not, it's a plus.

Pretty much. It's a 1 for 1 even salary swap for 2 players who should be doing better. Who had better high school marks though??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad