Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner ($900k retained)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The correct play for the Oilers would've been to have traded Strome or walked away from his contract before this season. Neither of these guys are worth $3 million.

Reactions: B33K33PING

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I saw confirmed trade and got all excited.. WHY YOU BUMPING THIS!!!

The correct play for the Oilers would've been to have traded Strome or walked away from his contract before this season. Neither of these guys are worth $3 million.

I am quite happy with having Strome. It's probably different since we have the cap space, but he's been solid for us.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Nah. We’re fine with our Chiarelli re-tread playing his way down to the AHL while sucking up cap space. :mad:Fk you “Special Pete.”

Reactions: 780il

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hard to fathom that Spooner may not even be a top 3 bad contract in Edm.
I mean, not even close.
1) They didn't give him that contract.
2) Rangers retained 900k
3) Some of the cap is buried.

Still wasted cap space, nonetheless.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Hard to fathom that Spooner may not even be a top 3 bad contract in Edm.

i rarely make inflammatory statements here,
but i have no sympathy for EO and their Cap Hell

i blame EO for the cycle of aggressive over-payments, and top heavy Cap Hit rosters, which have made the hard Cap situation worse over the last ~10 years

between the Offer Sheets (Vanek, 2007, 7 years, $50 million, ... the first huge OS of the latest era)
and then the big-ticket 2d contracts (Eberle, Hall, RNH were among the first)
the Oilers led the charge to killing bridge contracts, and other trends which have made Cap era more challenging than need be, for both teams, and players ...

Reactions: Flameshomer

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

i blame EO for the cycle of aggressive over-payments, and top heavy Cap Hit rosters, which have made the hard Cap situation worse over the last ~10 years

between the Offer Sheets (Vanek, 2007, 7 years, $50 million, ... the first huge OS of the latest era)
the Oilers led the charge to killing bridge contracts, and other trends which have made Cap era more challenging than need be, for both teams, and players ...
1) For those of us who have been around a long time, it’s sounds pretty hypocritical for a Rangers fan to complain about a team handing out bad contracts given how the Rangers were one of the reasons why we have a cap in the first place. You’ve got a lot of overpay skeletons in your own closet. Your last Cup win had no less than 6 former Oilers, bought and paid for, as an example.

2) As angry as you may be with the clowns running the Oilers for causing collateral damage to the league, try being an Oilers fan watching management continually making shameful moves. We’ve been screaming from the rooftops for competent management for the last dozen + years. Oilers fans (aside from a few loudmouths that every fan base has) honestly deserve nothing but pity if not sympathy.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
1) For those of us who have been around a long time, it’s sounds pretty hypocritical for a Rangers fan to complain about a team handing out bad contracts given how the Rangers were one of the reasons why we have a cap in the first place. You’ve got a lot of overpay skeletons in your own closet. Your last Cup win had no less than 6 former Oilers, bought and paid for, as an example.

2) As angry as you may be with the clowns running the Oilers for causing collateral damage to the league, try being an Oilers fan watching management continually making shameful moves. We’ve been screaming from the rooftops for competent management for the last dozen + years. Oilers fans (aside from a few loudmouths that every fan base has) honestly deserve nothing but pity if not sympathy.

You're not wrong about the Rangers in general, but most of those players were aquired via trade, not free agency.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
1) ... Your last Cup win had no less than 6 former Oilers ...

at least 7 - Mess, Lowe, Graves, Beuk, MacT, Tikk, Anderson,
technically 8, Mike Hudson had some pre'94 games w EO

i don't hold NYR blameless for their large, bad UFA deals, so few of which paid off

and given how good(ready) the recent waves so kids are, maybe today's state of affairs was inevitable

but as soon as Oil began to give out those $6M/yr 2d-contracts, i began to worry about how it would all evolve

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
I saw confirmed trade and got all excited.. WHY YOU BUMPING THIS!!!

I am quite happy with having Strome. It's probably different since we have the cap space, but he's been solid for us.

both are brutal

Doesn't Strome have 12 points in 36 games? -6 and 1 assist in his past 10 games. Sounds very solid

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

Should we talk about Wade Redden, Scott Gomez, Chris Drury?

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Cute... not like the Rangers didn't offer sheet Joe Sakic back in the late 90s.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Rangers had Glen Sather running the show who was part of the Edmonton old boys club so the silly moves are to be expected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad