Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Ryan Strome for Ryan Spooner ($900k retained)

North

Jun 25, 2009
Oilers cant develope worth a damn

might as well throw some picks and get Namestnikov

dont get y not

What the f*** is this? This was Strome’s second year with the Oilers. You realize most of his “development” was done by the Isles right?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What the **** is this? This was Strome’s second year with the Oilers. You realize most of his “development” was done by the Isles right?

has nothing to do with strome

i'm saying spooner is whatever and namestnikov could have been the return with picks added. Picks which the Oilers don't have the most stellar history with

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Spooner is *absolutely* invisible without the puck on his stick. But I think he can do well in Edmonton with the skill they have there as long as he can have some puck possession.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Spooner is *absolutely* invisible without the puck on his stick. But I think he can do well in Edmonton with the skill they have there as long as he can have some puck possession.
Strome has been excellent defensively and has been brutally snakebitten on offense.

He's been sandbagged with Lucic, but they aren't getting carved.

I'm personally upset with the trade. Strome's been good for us.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So unlike with Strome who at least brought something completely different, Spooner now just is a vastly inferior Eberle?

Justin17

Nov 9, 2018
It's ok. The only thing I don't like about it for the Rangers, is that it such a useless way to use up one of the maximum three retained contracts. We can only retain one more contract this year now, right?
I think we can retain two more contracts. I’m pretty sure you’re aloud to take in three and retain three.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is two guys who really better hope they bring more than what's in the score sheet, because the score sheet is pretty bad. It could be one of those change of scenery deals where one or both benefit. Im hoping for a Kyle Turris type of scenario out of Strome. It wasnt that long ago that people saw big things ahead for the kid.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I’m sure other isles fans can back me up

The Eberle described itt by oilers fans is very different than the player I watch every night

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This is two guys who really better hope they bring more than what's in the score sheet, because the score sheet is pretty bad. It could be one of those change of scenery deals where one or both benefit. Im hoping for a Kyle Turris type of scenario out of Strome. It wasnt that long ago that people saw big things ahead for the kid.
Oil fans hoped for the same.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Oil fans hoped for the same.
True. Strome would not be the only guy to fall short of expectations in Edmonton. Im hoping it is more of an indictment of their organization rather than the players. If he's decent defensively, there's hope. Spooner needed to be in a more offensive role and hopefully it works out for him in Edmonton.

North

Jun 25, 2009
has nothing to do with strome

i'm saying spooner is whatever and namestnikov could have been the return with picks added. Picks which the Oilers don't have the most stellar history with

Not sure why that needed to be said but whatever,

North

Jun 25, 2009
True. Strome would not be the only guy to fall short of expectations in Edmonton. Im hoping it is more of an indictment of their organization rather than the players. If he's decent defensively, there's hope. Spooner needed to be in a more offensive role and hopefully it works out for him in Edmonton.

Strome wasn’t great in New York either. The Oilers are the ones who helped bring out the defensive side of his game, it’s just the lack of offence this season was a killer.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
An invisible player? How cool is that?

-How do you cover someone you can't see?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Imagine turning a grilled cheese sandwich into a poop.

Seriously, on any given day, all 3 of those guys could be either one: a grilled cheese sandwich (moderately satisfying, but still missing something), or they could be poop (poop).

Jordan Eberle might serve you a grilled cheese sandwich a few more times compared to the other two... it's just gonna cost you an extra 2mil.
So, continuing your analogy, EDM just traded poop for dung.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
So, continuing your analogy, EDM just traded poop for dung.

Sounds about right, but this turd might have more of what we need (good shot, decent offensive instincts).

I'm hoping they play him with Nuge (a good 2 way player who can cover up Spooner's defensive deficiencies). Nuge looked good centering the 2nd line last game, and Rieder is out for a bit now, having Spooner play wing and pulling the trigger on setups from Nuge could work out.

If TMac thinks he's gonna plunk Spooner into the 3C role flanked by Lucic, you may as well pin a -3 on everyone on that line.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Probably a good move by NYR. It's not hard to imagine that Strome is just the latest Oilers reclamation project who's going to find his stride in a better organization.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Describing Spooner as invisible isn't quite correct. That kind of implies he isn't really affecting the game positively or negatively.

He is an absolute dumpster fire away from the puck.

I'm sure he'll have a pretty good stretch with you guys for the first two-three games and you'll think you got a massive steal (just as we did in the Nash trade, though obviously Spooner exceeding expectations was just gravy considering he was a cap dump), but he'll come back.

Not that you drastically lost the trade either, since Strome is nothing to be devastated over losing, but Spooner is trash.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Spooner last 3 seasons: 49 points (13+36), 41 points(11+30), 41 points(13+28)
not sure whats his problem this season been.

Oilers clearly wins this trade.

If you want points it’s likeky Spooner but if you want a better 2 way player bottom 6 it’s likeky Strome

Both guys have potential and have dissapointed

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Good trade for Rangers who get bigger, younger a little bit more gritty. Also much bigger name (5th overall picked right ahead of Zibanejad) and he is an RFA at the end of his contract. Potentially Rangers can get a better return for Strome.
With Strome? Virtually zero grit to his game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad