Waived: [EDM] Neal on Waivers (clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This makes it seem like you’re under the impression that when a player gets waived, it means he’s no longer in the NHL. If so, you might want to brush up, because that shows a fundamental misunderstanding.

Oh ok. So where is Neal playing next then?

Lucic will likely play for Calgary in their next game, and Neal will likely not play for the oilers in their next game. Can you explain to me how Neal will magically play for EDM in the next game?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Lucic will likely play for Calgary in their next game, and Neal will likely not play for the oilers in their next game. Can you explain to me how Neal will magically play for EDM in the next game?
What do you mean “where is he playing next”? When he plays next, it will be for the Oilers, obviously.

Q: How does he “magically” play for Edmonton?

A: Tippett puts him in the lineup if he wants, as he’s done 9 times this season. It’s not complicated.

You’re whiffing on the entire reason Neal was waived, because you were sure you had all the answers.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Wait so the moment one player in a trade doesn’t dress the other team automatically wins the trade? That’s an... interesting standard.

Reactions: The Turtle

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am getting into an argument with those that will literally argue anything for the sake of the team or for the sake of winning an argument.

How am I supposed to interpret being waived? That he's doing fine?

I am not downplaying Neal's demotion, but others see that as a sign that he's playing great and EDM winning a trade.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's actually better in the bottom 6, he was fine on the Neal-Turris-Kassian line and the Neal-Khaira-Chiasson line in the play ins. He has a role in this league still, he's just not a top 6 player anymore.

Him being waived is just a paper transaction so they can add somebody from off of IR (Bear or Haas) but that won't prevent the overreaction posts like LOL Oilerzzz made stupid trade etc. from happening.
I disagree.

Looking okay in practice games means f all. Neal refused to play defence and can't skate. He is still capable of boughts of top six play in limited roles, but he's a top six or nothing player. He looked good in Calgary for a few months around December. He then played like crap in the playoffs. He refused to back check. He refused to take a secondary role.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

We literally played Chiasson the game after clearing waivers. Ennis and Kharia have both also been in the lineup after clearing waivers. The bottom six hasn’t been a set group all season with someone waived to the taxi squad rotating in

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I disagree.

Looking okay in practice games means f all. Neal refused to play defence and can't skate. He is still capable of boughts of top six play in limited roles, but he's a top six or nothing player. He looked good in Calgary for a few months around December. He then played like crap in the playoffs. He refused to back check. He refused to take a secondary role.

Again. Incorrect. Neal was one of the better players in our brutal play-in series and he was on the 4th line.

Reactions: nturn06

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I am getting into an argument with those that will literally argue anything for the sake of the team or for the sake of winning an argument.

How am I supposed to interpret being waived? That he's doing fine?

I am not downplaying Neal's demotion, but others see that as a sign that he's playing great and EDM winning a trade.

He was waived - it’s not a demotion. They’re different things.

Because he cleared, the Oilers now have some flexibility when it comes to the taxi squad. This was all explained in this thread.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Have fun with the more effective player. We can just buy out Neal.
You do realize even with a buy out your paying Neal $1.9 million for 4 years and Lucic $750k for two more years.

Meanwhile Lucic is putting up .5 ppg and leading the team in hits.

I've said it from the start that it was a garbage in garbage out trade. We had multiple Oilers fans starting threads on the main board about his great it was.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He was waived - it’s not a demotion. They’re different things.

Because he cleared, the Oilers now have some flexibility when it comes to the taxi squad. This was all explained in this thread.
Ohhhh forgive me. When you promote a player you don't have him dress or play for your team.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
James Neal is a lazy, whiny bitch who made a career from leeching off elite playmakers. He blamed his failure at CGY on not getting the opportunities to play with Monahan and Gaudreau, and I bet he is blaming his current failures on the same reasons.

CGY won this deal hands down, especially with that tasty extra 3rd rounder!
LOL neither team won that mess of a trade lol...Neal is the bettwr player and served more purpose and hasn't handcuffed the Oilers.. I have never seen an NHL guy fall as much as lucic

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Neal has still outproduced Lucic since the trade, and he's played significantly fewer games, and he can be bought out at a reasonable cost. Neal could never play another game for the Oil and I still make that trade every time.
not only that, but I love neal on the 3rd line.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Not a big deal. Hes overpaid as a bottom sixer, but he is a useful bottom sixer. Most of that group has been on waivers at some point.

He'll be back on the team, probably soon
his contract doesn't concern me a little bit at all. We traded Lucic for him and in turn got rid of the worst of the two contracts, it'll be rectified in the offseason and he scored 19 last year.

Reactions: The Turtle

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We literally played Chiasson the game after clearing waivers. Ennis and Kharia have both also been in the lineup after clearing waivers. The bottom six hasn’t been a set group all season with someone waived to the taxi squad rotating in
That guy has no idea what he's on about, also, we didn't trade for Neal to be "the" guy we swapped bad contracts with an eye for a buyout this offseason. The fact that Neal scored 19 goals last year is just gravy. Lucic wasn't doing jack here and was complaining about feeling depressed and anxious playing in Edmonton. Neal can not dress for the rest of the year and I'll still make that trade. There was nothing lost in the trade.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I laugh when people keep bragging about Neal scoring 19 goals. He was also on the ice when 20 were let in.

Reactions: DFF

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I would love to see the Flames and Oilers trade these two for each other again... just to watch every Oiler/Flames poster do a complete 180 and start defending “their guy”.

Both of these guys and their contracts suck! Stop embarrassing yourselves. The rest of the HF are truly laughing at y’all!

I swear some of you would argue that the Pope really isn’t Catholic.

This thread is a joke... some good laughs and entertainment but, seriously mods, please close this mess.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would love to see the Flames and Oilers trade these two for each other again... just to watch every Oiler/Flames poster do a complete 180 and start defending “their guy”.

Both of these guys and their contracts suck! Stop embarrassing yourselves. The rest of the HF are truly laughing at y’all!

I swear some of you would argue that the Pope really isn’t Catholic.

This thread is a joke... some good laughs and entertainment but, seriously mods, please close this mess.

I believe in Dinosaurs.

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I laugh when people keep bragging about Neal scoring 19 goals. He was also on the ice when 20 were let in.

That’s because his scoring came on the PP but yes he wasn’t a good 5v5 player. As others mentioned the trade was a bad player/bad contract out and a bad player/bad contract in. Giving up the 3rd sucked but we got out of having to protect Lucic in the expansion draft which would have been a horrid situation and likely buyout Neal at seasons end for the added $2 million approximately in cap space. It’s simply making the best of a bad situation.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm not sure why people are acting like this is the end of Neal. With the Oil carrying 9 defencemen on the active roster, they need to waive any forward that rotates in and out, as they have no more PB spots.

It's the same as Chiasson last week: Decent player, but no one is touching that contract, and this gives the team more flexibility on who can sit. Neal will be back in the lineup for next game or the one thereeafter.

Turris would/should also be waived, as he deserves a trip to the PB. But as odd as it sounds, his low salary will keep him in the lineup as Holland and Co. will be worried about someone realistically claiming him.

It's quite funny how those worst contracts are best protected on waivers with a tight cap. That's why they are thrown there and rotated.

Turris has too good contract to be waived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad