Waived: [EDM] Neal on Waivers (clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Neal will likely be gone this summer and Lucic in the following summer.

That 3rd round pick though... now that's gonna last forever

The third round pick that the terms were never met for but the manchild treliving cried to bettman over anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Only anomaly? The only anomaly in recent memory for Neal was his 11 goals in 14 games to start his stint in Edmonton.. He has been on a downward spiral for a long time now and quite frankly is a complete liability of a hockey player.

3 goals in his last 25 regular season games in Vegas (-13).
7 goals in 63 games in Calgary (-5).
10 goals in his last 50 in Edmonton (-18).

That's 20 goals and a -36 rating in his last 138 regular season games outside of that one "anomaly" of a month where pucks were literally getting bounced in off him on the PP with arguably the two best offensive players in the world.

Which season other then the one he played with the shames was not at least a 20 goal pace?

When's the last time lucic scored 20 again?

That's what I thought princess.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Which season other then the one he played with the shames was not at least a 20 goal pace?

When's the last time lucic scored 20 again?

That's what I thought princess.
Hahaha only neal’s mom thinks he is a goal scorer now...I bet even she has some doubts

he has to score at least 30 not to be a negative contributor

and if you want to play the stupid pace game, lucic is on pace for 20 NOW

Last edited:

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
Looks at what this thread has become. Why hasn't a Moderator shut this down already? Relitigating the Lucic/Neal trade over a paper transaction. Insults flying on both sides. If there ever was a thread that deserved to die this is it.
The irony in all this is that a mod was the OP.

Obviously, he don't care about the shit flinging. :dunno:

Reactions: YP44 and TFHockey

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The biggest reason Edmonton fans feel like the trade was a win for the team is because if all else failed they could at least reasonably buy out James Neal, and they couldn't do that with Lucic.

That hasn't changed at all, regardless of how badly some folks want to brag about how they won a garbage for garbage deal. We're likely happy with buying Neal out, and you guys seem happy to pay Lucic to be in the bottom six.

Why does it have to be more than that?

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
Another view point of this trade, outside of the acquired assets and salary retention - Calgary will pay $19.75MM for 1 year of Neal and 4 years of Lucic. Edmonton will pay $51MM for 2 years of Lucic and 4 years of Neal.

Reactions: YP44

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Learn what sample size and cap hit are.

Lol an Oilers fan trying to talk about sample size and cap management
200.gif

Reactions: DFF

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The biggest reason Edmonton fans feel like the trade was a win for the team is because if all else failed they could at least reasonably buy out James Neal, and they couldn't do that with Lucic.

That hasn't changed at all, regardless of how badly some folks want to brag about how they won a garbage for garbage deal. We're likely happy with buying Neal out, and you guys seem happy to pay Lucic to be in the bottom six.

Why does it have to be more than that?

Because we live in a “my way or the highway” kind of society now, where one can’t critique another one’s opinion.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Another view point of this trade, outside of the acquired assets and salary retention - Calgary will pay $19.75MM for 1 year of Neal and 4 years of Lucic. Edmonton will pay $51MM for 2 years of Lucic and 4 years of Neal.
Maybe I'm just stoned, but how did you come to 51 million?

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Maybe I'm just stoned, but how did you come to 51 million?
Lucic's salary on EDM was $8, 8, 7; before 4 seasons retained of 750k. 750*4 =$26 mill.
Neal salary in Edmonton is $26 mill.
$52 million total in salary.

Edit: They actually retained 12.5% of salary which is $2.375 million, the $750k is just the yearly cap retention. BUT I think Edmonton paid out the $3 million 2019 signing bonus before the trade so it would actually be $2 million in retention. Bringing the total for Lucic's Edmonton stay to $28 million. $54 million between Neal and Lucic for them.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lucic's salary on EDM was $8, 8, 7; before 4 seasons retained of 750k. 750*4 =$26 mill.
Neal salary in Edmonton is $26 mill.
$52 million total in salary.

Edit: They actually retained 12.5% of salary which is $2.375 million, the $750k is just the yearly cap retention. BUT I think Edmonton paid out the $3 million 2019 signing bonus before the trade so it would actually be $2 million in retention. Bringing the total for Lucic's Edmonton stay to $28 million.
Assuming he plays out his entire contract though, which is highly unlikely. But fair enough.

The Lucic deal was an absolute abomination. f*** Peter Chiarelli. f*** him so hard.

Reactions: RattsSSV and voxel

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Wow so Calgary only pay less that half? No wonder they made the deal

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Assuming he plays out his entire contract though, which is highly unlikely. But fair enough.

The Lucic deal was an absolute abomination. f*** Peter Chiarelli. f*** him so hard.
He also screwed the league over with the McDavid deal. Sure he is a great player, but 12.5m right away made every star player want 11+.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
He also screwed the league over with the McDavid deal. Sure he is a great player, but 12.5m right away made every star player want 11+.
While I sort of agree, that doesn't mean GM's have to pay that. That's ultimately their decision. If these young kids who only have a season or two under their belt want to pout and sit out because they aren't getting huge paydays right off of ELC's I say let them sit.

Pro athletes or not, everyone has to cut their teeth and pay their dues before they get to be demanding assholes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm all for shitting on Chiarelli.

But McDavid's contract was right in line with what Crosby's was coming out of his ELC in terms of percentage of cap being taken. 16.7% for McDavid, 17.3% for Crosby. The difference is that the cap is more than $20M higher than it was when Crosby signed his deal.

Not Chiarelli's fault other GMs gave worse players comparable deals.

Reactions: voxel

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
McDavid's deal is fine, he could have asked for more and got it. Draisaitl was an overpayment (at the time) compared to similar players though. I know it's a great deal now but Chia should have signed him first for a similar cap hit to MacKinnon, Barkov, etc. Signing McDavid first was an error but Chiapet was/is a bit of a moron.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
Just a heads up for the chirping EDM fans: Its been reported that Treliving spoke with Lucic before or shortly after the trade and he agreed to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. He will most likely be exposed to Seattle.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Wrong, Marner started the trend. I’d give McDavid 12.5m x 8 all day long from when he signed it. He signed the max at a reasonable term.

Reactions: voxel

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Just a heads up for the chirping EDM fans: Its been reported that Treliving spoke with Lucic before or shortly after the trade and he agreed to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. He will most likely be exposed to Seattle.
You'd better hope so. Protecting Neal means exposing a far better player. I will take this as a baseless internet rumor until it actually happens though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad