Waived: [EDM] Neal on Waivers (clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
James Neal is a lazy, whiny bitch who made a career from leeching off elite playmakers. He blamed his failure at CGY on not getting the opportunities to play with Monahan and Gaudreau, and I bet he is blaming his current failures on the same reasons.

CGY won this deal hands down, especially with that tasty extra 3rd rounder!

Reactions: majche

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I take exception to the word gifted. The Oilers worked hard in their epic tank for McDavid. Its not every team that can manage to trade players like Eberle, Peron,, Gagne, Petry, Hemsky, and Dubnyk for peanuts. That took skill.

Didn’t work too well considering they finished third to last.

Reactions: voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I take exception to the word gifted. The Oilers worked hard in their epic tank for McDavid. Its not every team that can manage to trade players like Eberle, Peron,, Gagne, Petry, Hemsky, and Dubnyk for peanuts. That took skill.

You are confused or don't follow hockey. Eberle was traded after McDavid was drafted. He played on the team that went to game 7 in the second round of the playffs.

The rest (Gagner, Hemsky, Dubnyk) were traded a year or more before the McDavid draft - except Petry and Perron (who requested out). Perron fetched Barzal basically but Chia traded that pick for Reinhart.. lol.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You are confused or don't follow hockey. Eberle was traded after McDavid was drafted. He played on the team that went to game 7 in the second round of the playffs.

The rest (Gagner, Hemsky, Dubnyk) were traded a year or more before the McDavid draft - except Petry and Perron (who requested out). Perron fetched Barzal basically but Chia traded that pick for Reinhart.. lol.
My mistake about Eberle. There has been so many planned bad trades its difficult to keep them all straight. Also a good tank usually takes more than one year to accomplish. In the 2014 draft the Oilers were going for Ekblad or Draisaitl, dependent upon how the draft lottery worked out and they ended up drafting 3rd and they got Draisaitl. In 2015 they gave it another shot and hit the jackpot even though they were only originally slotted to draft 4th.
Dubnyk was traded in Jan 2014 and Hemsky was traded on March 5 2014 to help with the 2014 tank.
To increase their odds in the 2015 draft the Oilers got rid of Gagne in Jun 2014, Perron in Jan 2015 and Jeff Petry on March 2 2015 for the final big push to get a decent shot at McDavid.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
My mistake about Eberle. There has been so many planned bad trades its difficult to keep them all straight. Also a good tank usually takes more than one year to accomplish. In the 2014 draft the Oilers were going for Ekblad or Draisaitl, dependent upon how the draft lottery worked out and they ended up drafting 3rd and they got Draisaitl. In 2015 they gave it another shot and hit the jackpot even though they were only originally slotted to draft 4th.
Dubnyk was traded in Jan 2014 and Hemsky was traded on March 5 2014 to help with the 2014 tank.
To increase their odds in the 2015 draft the Oilers got rid of Gagne in Jun 2014, Perron in Jan 2015 and Jeff Petry on March 2 2015 for the final big push to get a decent shot at McDavid.

...which is why the NHL should NOT make it easier for the tankers to get in the Top 3 draft picks...teams that can't draft, can't develop shouldn't be rewarded for being terrible constantly & consistently...

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The

You can even spell Gagner’s name correctly (you did it twice). The Oilers never intentionally tanked (maybe for the Hall draft - which was years after offersheeting Penner, trading for Lubo, Pitkanen, Whitney, etc that all failed) they were just straight up awful for four years from 2010 onwards... much like how the Sens, Wings, Ducks, Kings, Sharks are now.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
...which is why the NHL should NOT make it easier for the tankers to get in the Top 3 draft picks...teams that can't draft, can't develop shouldn't be rewarded for being terrible constantly & consistently...

The Oilers weren’t tanking. They were almost Sens bad. They actually spent to the cap and tried to compete. Bettman’s constant tweaking of the lottery granted the Oilers McJesus.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If teams need to learn something from the Oilers is that forcing young 18 year olds onto a team is just bad. It doesn’t make them more competitive (most 18 year olds end up -20 anyhow) and they often get injured. See Nuge, Hall, McDavid.

Reactions: AT14C and TFHockey

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Have fun with the more effective player. We can just buy out Neal.
Okay, so 2M for the next four years for Neal's buyout and 0.75M for the next 2 years for Lucic's retain salary. Congrats on the nearly 10M worth of completely dead cap space and all it cost was a third round pick lol.

Meanwhile the Flames will have to have Lucic on their team next year but a season after that his salary drops to 1M and I bet he's like to gracefully retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master Bill

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
LMAO fan’s arguing who won a trade of 2 crap over paid players

pro Neal can be bought out much cheaper ,Neal scored 19 goals out of the gate last year . Doesn’t have to be protected which allows you to protect anther player

pros . Lucic Physical presents , effective bottom 6

cons Neal can’t skate , useless bottom 6 player , bad defensively

cons Lucic . Can’t skate , have to protect , buyout proof contract.

both players are way overpaid but Edmonton lacked depth and Neal helped . Lucic was what Calgary needed .

conclusion trade is even . No team can win a crap for crap trade

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
LMAO fan’s arguing who won a trade of 2 crap over paid players

pro Neal can be bought out much cheaper ,Neal scored 19 goals out of the gate last year . Doesn’t have to be protected which allows you to protect anther player

pros . Lucic Physical presents , effective bottom 6

cons Neal can’t skate , useless bottom 6 player , bad defensively

cons Lucic . Can’t skate , have to protect , buyout proof contract.

both players are way overpaid but Edmonton lacked depth and Neal helped . Lucic was what Calgary needed .

conclusion trade is even . No team can win a crap for crap trade

It's conclusive: one player looks to remain playing in the NHL...

Reactions: CupInSIX

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
James Neal is a lazy, whiny bitch who made a career from leeching off elite playmakers. He blamed his failure at CGY on not getting the opportunities to play with Monahan and Gaudreau, and I bet he is blaming his current failures on the same reasons.

CGY won this deal hands down, especially with that tasty extra 3rd rounder!
Yeah, he's definitely upset right now because he isn't allowed to play with Monahan and Gaudreau.

I love how Calgary fans jump on the chance to tell everyone how getting Lucic isn't so bad because Neal just absolutely had to go at any cost, but when we insist we're happy with him because Milan Lucic absolutely had to go at any cost somehow we all lose. Even though the whole point was actually to swap Lucic with a contract that wasn't buy-out proof, which is exactly what they got, plus another 20 goal season to boot. But you keep on tooting that horn, fella.

Reactions: BudBundy and voxel

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I think people don’t realize that Oilers defense is 10 deep, with Klef on IR and 9 active players and were not letting anyone hit waivers on defense

Reactions: TFHockey and voxel

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I dont know if Calgary fans are able to comprehend this, but a major reason why the Oilers won that trade so handily, is that they are even able to put Neal on waivers for the purposes of a paper transaction

Lucics contract doesnt have this luxury.

The day the deal was made, the Oilers won it due to the contracts. Neal scoring a whack more goals is an extra benefit

Reactions: BudBundy and voxel

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Getting close to the end of the line for James Neal if he can't make it work as a wing option for McDavid or Draisaitl.

LOL WUT?!
Neal isn't even close to getting a chance to play with them when we're healthy this year. He's our 3rd option.
Kassian and Puljujarvi have to be out of the line-up for him to make it all the way up there at even strength.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
And who’s your source? Because Neal in fact was a cancer to the locker room when things didn’t go his way.

I actually do believe this and we had the same issue with Lucic here. Why people can’t just accept that certain players don’t fit in certain situations and move on is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad