[EDM/MON] Petry for 2nd & cond. 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
What? This organization completely mishandled an asset?

Colour me surprised.

/sarcasm

Fire Lowe, MacT. Sweeping change. This should not be acceptable.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I almost hope the Habs win the cup and Petry plays amazing through the playoffs just so Katz might wake the **** up and realize how damaging these jokers are to the franchise. Every other top 4 D that got traded got a 1st. Not Petry though, 2nd and a 5th is the best MacT the super genius could manage.

I think that speaks more to how out of touch so many other GM's are around the league than it does MacT.

MacT's mistake was not getting him signed to a proper contract in the summer. Once he had to trade him, I'm sure he took the best deal offered. The fact that Stan Bowman offered more for Timonen (guy barely even plays) reflects poorly on him IMO.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think that speaks more to how out of touch so many other GM's are around the league than it does MacT.

MacT's mistake was not getting him signed to a proper contract in the summer. Once he had to trade him, I'm sure he took the best deal offered. The fact that Stan Bowman offered more for Timonen (guy barely even plays) reflects poorly on him IMO.

I am not going to but into the idea that all the other GMs are wrong and MacT did the best he could. Montreal worked MacT because they knew they could because he's an idiot.

If MacT was a good GM and no team offered up something worth an impending UFA then he should have kept him and worked his ass off to re-sign him.

Petry for a 2nd+ was a horrible deal. More proof that MacT isn't capable of doing the job

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I think if Mac T traded Petry one week earlier then he could have got a 1st for him. He pretty much waited until every team that needed a defenceman got one. Leaving him just with Montreal to deal with and they knew they could make a low ball.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I am not going to but into the idea that all the other GMs are wrong and MacT did the best he could. Montreal worked MacT because they knew they could because he's an idiot.

If MacT was a good GM and no team offered up something worth an impending UFA then he should have kept him and worked his ass off to re-sign him.

Petry for a 2nd+ was a horrible deal. More proof that MacT isn't capable of doing the job

Montreal might have worked him. That doesn't explain why no other GM stepped up with a better offer. Did they let a player slip through the cracks because they were all too busy trying to "work" MacT?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I think if Mac T traded Petry one week earlier then he could have got a 1st for him. He pretty much waited until every team that needed a defenceman got one. Leaving him just with Montreal to deal with and they knew they could make a low ball.

This could very well be true. Not sure if he could have gotten a 1st, but a 2nd + a prospect certainly might have been on the table.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Montreal might have worked him. That doesn't explain why no other GM stepped up with a better offer. Did they let a player slip through the cracks because they were all too busy trying to "work" MacT?

Like I said. If no team made a good enough offer, then he should have worked his ass off to re-sign him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I almost hope the Habs win the cup and Petry plays amazing through the playoffs just so Katz might wake the **** up and realize how damaging these jokers are to the franchise. Every other top 4 D that got traded got a 1st. Not Petry though, 2nd and a 5th is the best MacT the super genius could manage.

Well, 2nd and 3rd if they make it to the ECF but yeah, your point stands.

The better Petry plays and the worse the Oilers play, the worse it makes MacT looks so that can only be a good thing. However, he'll spin it into saying that they got a good return with the 2nd and 3rd if Petry helps them go deep into the playoffs.

Having watched some Habs games, he looks damn good which is painful to watch.
And to think that the Oilers could have had him fairly cheaply long term if they had signed him last season and not focused their entire efforts on Norris Schultz and Top 4 Nikki while ignoring their best defenseman.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Well, 2nd and 3rd if they make it to the ECF but yeah, your point stands.

The better Petry plays and the worse the Oilers play, the worse it makes MacT looks so that can only be a good thing. However, he'll spin it into saying that they got a good return with the 2nd and 3rd if Petry helps them go deep into the playoffs.

Having watched some Habs games, he looks damn good which is painful to watch.
And to think that the Oilers could have had him fairly cheaply long term if they had signed him last season and not focused their entire efforts on Norris Schultz and Top 4 Nikki while ignoring their best defenseman.

I am ok with them keeping and working on Schultz. In a few years, if they can get him in a #4 + PP role, he can be a useful part of the team. But yeah Nikitin was an obvious mess. The Oilers putting their money down on Nikitin and offering Petry scraps really damaged their relationship. And the healthy scratching during the Eakins tenure didn't help either. MacT and crew handled Petry about as poorly as they could have.

Like most of our best D over the past few seasons. The problem is less with their abilities, than it is the role they are asking to play. Since the team has 0 top pairing D, our 3/4 capable guys get eaten up, and look poor in some games. Eventually they get moved to a team that has that top pairing and can benefit from a that type of player, in his proper role.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
Keep in mind that back in that fateful Summer, the Petry camp initiated the negotiations by asking for Smid money 3.5 per at 3 yrs. macT countered with 3.1 for 2 yrs ( the offer that a player less confident in his abilities would take). Petry said how about 1 yr? MacT accepted without hesitation. Then they scratched him against the Kings and trotted out two rookies and the 4.5 million dollar Russian.

Even the fictional 4 x 4 offer that was "leaked" by the organization in the waning days of Petrys oiler tenure was just window dressing for the fan's consumption.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

And it there is a huge difference between a late first and a late second in draft like this. This years a 25th pick might be like a mid first in a typical draft, but a late second will still probably only have a 30% chance of being a serviceable NHL player. Even adding in the additional pick, this is another example of where the Oilers GM thought he was smarter than the pack and paid the price for his hubris.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Lol. What's more likely? Lowe and MacTavish get fired, the Pens pick wins the lottery, or the Oilers sign Petry?

The Oilers winning the lottery with the Pens pick.

Because that actually could happen. 1% chance mind you, but it's still a chance.

Whereas Katz kisses the ground that Lowe and MacT walk on and Petry has probably blocked any and all 780 area code numbers from calling his phone.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It was a reflection on two oilers castoffs now making a second pairing that fans of a contending team are happy with. We never stop throwing away serviceable players for nothing.

And has been said repeatedly, there is no way in hell that Petry is coming back lol.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
you-dont-know-what-youve-got-till-its-gone-quote-1.jpg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

That's just for MacT. Most fans knew Petry was valuable to the team way back when MacT was giving Petry a "challenge" 1 year deal that pretty much guaraneed Petry would leave as a UFA instead of using the leverage Petry gave him (by passing up arbitration rights) to force a multi-year deal.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
It was a reflection on two oilers castoffs now making a second pairing that fans of a contending team are happy with. We never stop throwing away serviceable players for nothing.

And has been said repeatedly, there is no way in hell that Petry is coming back lol.

Remember how Petry was a 5/6 D on a good team...

I don't remeber how many dummies were repeating this up to the deadline but it was A LOT

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Remember how Petry was a 5/6 D on a good team...

I don't remeber how many dummies were repeating this up to the deadline but it was A LOT

Yup, 22 mins/game (3rd behind Subban/Markov on Montreal) since he started there. Toughest 5 on 5 zone starts of any regular D on Montreal since he got there. He had 1 bad game with Emelin against the Jets, but aside from that he's been solid playing a shutdown role for Montreal and has managed a 5 game point streak since that bad game vs the Jets.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I think MacT was so focused on the potential deal that was there with Tampa that when they acquired Couburn, he was left with very few potential trading partners, and lost any leverage he might have had.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think MacT was so focused on the potential deal that was there with Tampa that when they acquired Couburn, he was left with very few potential trading partners, and lost any leverage he might have had.

That's kinda how I see it too. I think MacT was just striking out probably asking too much from teams he thought he could take advantage of. Bit by bit the options started shrinking and eventually he was the one being taken advantage of. Gotta remember he's just an amateur at negotiating with real professionals. Maybe he won a negotiations ribbon during one of his weekend EBMA classes, but he hasn't accomplished much in the NHL world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad