[EDM/MON] Petry for 2nd & cond. 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real_Estate-Agent

Sep 12, 2006
Edmonton
He was certainly better defensively than Petry but I would argue that Petry is better at moving the puck forward.

Not sure who you would argue with about that - definitely not me. But I used to love watching top offensive players come down Hejda's side then completely vanish... :laugh:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You mean in 2025 when we're 19 years out of the playoffs and pointing out some of the useful players that the OBC club has squandered after the 2025 trade dealine passes and we're still sellers because *******s like you and our 12 year GM, MacT think that its okay to get rid of every player for a fraction of their value as long as they aren't part of an arbitrary "core" list.

You sound like Petry's bf. Minus this season almost all people would talk about is the horrible defensive lapses that Petry has made. There's countless highlights of Petry getting beat bad one on one. This was the only year that Petry has looked like a legitimate top 4 defenceman and I wouldn't doubt if he's playing this way due to it being his UFA contract year. Once he signs his long term deal this summer he'll go back into being a borderline 2nd pairing defenceman. Minus Klefbom, this is a team of bad defenceman so Petry being the best of the bunch really isn't that great. His RFA rights should have been moved this off season for a better return then a couple of magic beans.

As for posters talking about better defenceman that we've given away. Google Oiler trades and see the history of players that this team has given away for virtually nothing. There's a reason why the Oiler's are known as a development team for the rest of the league. I'll happily eat my words if Petry magically turns into a "stud" defenceman next season and earns his 5mil+ contract that he'll be signing this off season.I'm sure a non physical, 20 point, poor man to man coverage defenceman will be worth every penny.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Klef, Marincin and Fayne are going to be playing A LOT of minutes the rest of the year. Need to keep Oesterle and Ference and eventually Nikitin offs the ice as much as possible now (<10 mins for Oesterle tonight). Trial by fire for Klef and Marincin. Probably next year too since MacT is happy with a 1st pairing of Klef/Schultz. Same old Oilers management, put it all on the young guys, who cares about getting/keeping capable vets.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'd rather pay $5M for a 2nd pairing defenseman than $3.6M for a bottom pairing defenseman.

You aren't a top4 defenseman if you can't move the puck in this day and age.

Fayne is only a #4 if he's riding the coattails of a better defenseman.

Petry is the opposite. He's the one doing the carrying of the pairing as evidenced by his entire tenure here.

Except a good team cant have him handling the puck.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Dropping in to let you all know that Petry has been fan-****ing-tastic.

His passing is out of this world good. Honestly, he might have the best breakout pass on the Habs now. It's a thing of beauty. Crisp, accurate, and well... just perfect.

He's also very smart, very good defensively, and even a bit physical.

Seriously love him. If we can resign him, he's going to be a beauty for years.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

His passing is out of this world good. Honestly, he might have the best breakout pass on the Habs now. It's a thing of beauty. Crisp, accurate, and well... just perfect.

Good. Sign him up.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Good to hear. He definitely can be physical if he wants to be (he was down the stretch here before the trade).

Surprised to hear about the breakout stuff. He was decent for the Oilers but nothing stellar.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Not at all shocked that Petry might be playing better now that he's on a good team.

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
Good to hear. He definitely can be physical if he wants to be (he was down the stretch here before the trade).

Surprised to hear about the breakout stuff. He was decent for the Oilers but nothing stellar.

I'm not surprised to hear that at all. Opposing teams knew when Petry was on the ice, he was going to be the guy starting the breakout. Ferrence, Smid, or whoever it was that night would defer to Petry. Send him a pass (normally behind the net) and expect him to make the play. Pretty hard to make great plays all the time, when the other team gets to zero in on you.

Petry looked good despite playing on a poor core (he didn't look good only because he played on a poor core as people are suggesting).

On a solid d core, Petry is going to look even better.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter

Good news. The better he looks, the more poorly it reflects on MacT.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I'm not surprised to hear that at all. Opposing teams knew when Petry was on the ice, he was going to be the guy starting the breakout. Ferrence, Smid, or whoever it was that night would defer to Petry. Send him a pass (normally behind the net) and expect him to make the play. Pretty hard to make great plays all the time, when the other team gets to zero in on you.

Petry looked good despite playing on a poor core (he didn't look good only because he played on a poor core as people are suggesting).

On a solid d core, Petry is going to look even better.
Petry right now is playing with Gilbert. Gilbert isn't perfect, but he's good enough to move the puck decently, so Petry definely has a little time when he needs it.

Good news. The better he looks, the more poorly it reflects on MacT.
Well he's been great. Seriously, I knew he was good. Didn't know he was probably a legit top pairing guy.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

While I've never been the biggest Petry fan, you could tell he tightened up parts of his game this year, and decision making on breakout passes was definitely one of them. This is probably more evident playing in Montreal because the forward group actually shows more faith/discipline to their system and Petry can actually count on his outlets being where they should be vs here where Hall, Eberle and Yakupov look more like they are auditioning for the ice capades.

If we can sign or trade for a RHD that is an upgrade/better fit, then I could care less, but if MacT is serious about being content with our D (and is still employed as GM), then his handling of Petry may be viewed as the worst of all his moves (yes, even the Eakins hiring).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
My guess is Petry will sign with a US team. He's American, his family is in the US, he likely wants to be back there unless he gets a fat overpayment up north, there's not a ton of incentive to stay.

Detroit could use him, but even a team like Minnesota or Philly likely will take a run at him too. So he'll have options.

He's a decent d-man, it's not like he's the best thing since sliced bread, he's a good no.4 d-man that can play higher in a pinch temporarily if that's what you need.

He doesn't bring a ton of offence to the table though.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

not the least bit surprised. Of course, Mact couldn't see what he had last summer and needed more proof (thinking he could sign Petry when he's only 3 months from FA :help:). I attribute this failure to two things:

1. no one looked good under Eakins (Mact's fault for hiring him)

2. Mact can't judge talent, which is the single most important ability required by an NHL GM.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
My guess is Petry will sign with a US team. He's American, his family is in the US, he likely wants to be back there unless he gets a fat overpayment up north, there's not a ton of incentive to stay.

Detroit could use him, but even a team like Minnesota or Philly likely will take a run at him too. So he'll have options.

He's a decent d-man, it's not like he's the best thing since sliced bread, he's a good no.4 d-man that can play higher in a pinch temporarily if that's what you need.

He doesn't bring a ton of offence to the table though.

Winning a SC with Montreal would be good incentive to stay.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Not at all shocked that Petry might be playing better now that he's on a good team.

No didn't you hear, Petry is a bottom pairing guy. MacT got great value for him. Giving away good(see: Top-4 D-man) players like its our job.

While we sit here post Petry averaging a cool 5 GA/G. Yes I know small sample size, but man this management is clueless.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No didn't you hear, Petry is a bottom pairing guy. MacT got great value for him. Giving away good(see: Top-4 D-man) players like its our job.

While we sit here post Petry averaging a cool 5 GA/G. Yes I know small sample size, but man this management is clueless.

Ya, I just laughed when management was trying to convince the fans he's a #5 dman. He's a good 2nd pairing dman, and we got a terrible return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad