[EDM/MON] Petry for 2nd & cond. 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's kinda how I see it too. I think MacT was just striking out probably asking too much from teams he thought he could take advantage of. Bit by bit the options started shrinking and eventually he was the one being taken advantage of. Gotta remember he's just an amateur at negotiating with real professionals. Maybe he won a negotiations ribbon during one of his weekend EBMA classes, but he hasn't accomplished much in the NHL world.
What has started to appear to be very apparent with Mactavish as a GM is that he puts all his eggs in one basket and if his plan A falls apart he doesn't have much of a plan B. Either that or he gets tunnel vision on one thing and doesn't look around to see if he can do better.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Remember how Petry was a 5/6 D on a good team...

I don't remeber how many dummies were repeating this up to the deadline but it was A LOT

Yep... I was shocked at the amount of people okay with losing him.

HE'S GARBAGE! GET RID OF HIM! ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Petry has been the perfect 3rd D-man for the Habs. I have been pleasantly surprised.

He started off quietly with 0 pt in his first 12 games but he has gotten more and more comfortable and has now pts in 6 straight games.

He is exactly what we needed altought I am not sure we can afford to resign him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Petry has been the perfect 3rd D-man for the Habs. I have been pleasantly surprised.

He started off quietly with 0 pt in his first 12 games but he has gotten more and more comfortable and has now pts in 6 straight games.

He is exactly what we needed altought I am not sure we can afford to resign him.

Good for him, I hope that he continues to make our management look like idiots for Richarding him around on his contract negotiations last summer.

Summary

Oct 13, 2009
Yep... I was shocked at the amount of people okay with losing him.

HE'S GARBAGE! GET RID OF HIM! ADDITION BY SUBTRACTION!

yup, "if Petry's our best Dman then what does it matter if we lose him" or "what difference will it make if he goes we suck"

Well, turns out losing good players, is still a bad idea.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
It's really entertaining to see Petry logging 22 minutes a game for Montreal (3rd out of all the D) while all the Edmonton media claimed he was a 5-6 and a #4 at best. Does Montreal know this? I mean they are one of the top teams so how is this possible?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's really entertaining to see Petry logging 22 minutes a game for Montreal (3rd out of all the D) while all the Edmonton media claimed he was a 5-6 and a #4 at best. Does Montreal know this? I mean they are one of the top teams so how is this possible?

Almost without exception players that leave the oilerd for cheap are revealed to be much better than people thought. MPs is one of the few that has fallen off the earth so to speak. Most others have been decent to good to great for other teams, most obtained at a cheap price.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Almost without exception players that leave the oilerd for cheap are revealed to be much better than people thought. MPs is one of the few that has fallen off the earth so to speak. Most others have been decent to good to great for other teams, most obtained at a cheap price.

I would have claimed Paajarvi back when he was on waivers. His speed would be nice with the many slow players they've been acquiring, plus he can penalty kill and might make a good third line with Lander. Kinda disappointed they didn't claim him.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Well the problem is most of the media knew he was good here too and one bad season under Eakins of all people, suddenly some who thought "Well Petry sucks!" felt validated.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
"Almost without exception players that leave the oilerd for cheap are revealed to be much better than people thought. MPs is one of the few that has fallen off the earth so to speak. Most others have been decent to good to great for other teams, most obtained at a cheap price."

This is simply not true.

One thing that has to be kept in mind is how much weaker the Eastern Conference is compared to the West. It is slowly evening out but still almost like two separate leagues.

The sheer size and skill of the Western Conference makes players like Petry appear better when playing the much smaller and somewhat less skilled East.

Also, pretty much any defenseman looks good in front of Carey Price. Case in point Gilbert.

Gilbert almost got bounced from the NHL before starting to get better, only because he had a solid #1 in Campbell holding him up.

Many players have left Edmonton and been the same or worse: Souray, Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner, Dub until being resurrected in Arizona, Gilbert still from what I have seen in past years, MSP, Perron...

Lol pretty much the only ones I can think of who improved noticeably would be Cogliano, Petry (very small sample size), and that guy in Calgary (forget name).

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
http://oilersnation.com/2015/10/29/...nymore?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Asked Petry about 1-year deal that got him to UFA at 27, said he wanted to discuss long term with EDM, they wouldn't go more than 2 years

So once it was clear EDM wouldn't go longer than two, Petry said he wanted a 1-year deal, and that's how he was available last season.

Reading that article (which has MacT's relevant quotes) makes me so ****ing angry at the ruining of our franchise by MacT. Imagine how much better our defense would be with Petry there in addition to what we have now. Losing Petry wasn't necessary to free up cap space.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
He faced the toughest comp and didn't ****ing suck. The fact we have Fayne at a price that Petry should have been at is outstanding. Just outstanding.

The fact Ference and Fayne are here and he's not should of been reason enough.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
I seriously thought we'd traded and gotten him back. Shouldn't bump old threads like this.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Petry is the one that got away. MacTs biggest screw up. Our D core would be respectable with him

Sekera-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Reinhart-Schultz

Reading that above quote boils my blood. Hes willingly to hand out long term deals to scrubs but cant do it to Petry, our best D. **** that guy

Atleats we got Talbot to show for it

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
MacT ****ed the Oilers so hard in his limited time as GM. It's unbelievable.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I heard we had an offer to trade Petry for Perry ... that's how that goes right?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
http://oilersnation.com/2015/10/29/...nymore?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Reading that article (which has MacT's relevant quotes) makes me so ****ing angry at the ruining of our franchise by MacT. Imagine how much better our defense would be with Petry there in addition to what we have now. Losing Petry wasn't necessary to free up cap space.

I both agree and disagree.

I think Schultz is just a shorter version of Petry. That was the main **** up.

But, Fayne was a top pair in the east and look at what he is now.....IPSO FATSO; Petry is still the same Petry. SO, IMO, keeping Petry wasn't a solution.....neither is keeping Schultz imo.....unless he's your bottom pair D.

We need a physical-scoring/Pronger defender. Aside from the fact that we still don't have that defender the decision to lose Petry is fine with me. Add to that that Fayne.....although in way over his head.....is a cheaper shut-down guy....techincally it's not that ********....

ps. we replaced petry with schultz and fayne and are equal garbage.

Last edited:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I remember when the trade went down there were Boychuk rumors swirling. I figured at the time the Oilers had a pretty good idea he would sign here in the off season. I underestimated the stupidity of MacT. I was never a Petry fan either but why in the world would you do this without a back up plan?...:(.....I guess I should have known after the way he handled Gagner and our center situation at the beginning of last year.

Last edited:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I wasn't a big Petry fan but the way MacTavish handled that entire situation was amateur. It will never make sense.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Petry is looking better then he actually is by playing in the East. Look how good Fayne, Sekera and Hamilton looked playing in that Conference. That being said, i'd take Petry over any RD we have right now. He still a decent 2nd pairing defenseman in the Western Conference, he just shouldn't be top pairing.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I hope Petry scores than flips the bird to MacT sitting up in his luxury suite.

The camera then pans to MacT with mouth agape like he was in that infamous picture from Winnipeg.

55af86abf3d24.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad