Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
giphy.gif

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Crazy expensive for someone with two years of experience. Some of these contracts will be be financial disasters for the teams after a few years. Maybe not for Draisaitl, but it will happen.

So who will be get the next Alex Semin at 8M x 8 years?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I believe the splits go 60% GF with, and 44% GF without? That's an enormous difference.

Draisaitl is a good player but there's no reason that he should be paid this much more than Tarasenko or Gaudreau.

McDavid's GF% also dips when he doesn't play with Draisaitl, but let's not mention that at all.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow, that is a ton of money. Making Scheifele seem more and more like a steal.

This will also cause major issues for both Sabres as well as Leafs, because both Eichel and especially Matthews will obviously want more than Draisaitl.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I feel his value will plummet next summer because the Oilers will be in a rather desperate situation. They should see what they can get for him now.

Pending on how well they draft in the future, and if Draisaitl plays on the same line as McDavid, I don't think they'd be willing to gut some of their center depth to trade for a lesser player at what might be their best chance at a cup this year.

I think they'll probably bite the bullet and lose a trade next offseason to shed his salary once the McD extension kicks in, if he continues to underwhelm

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
that's a lot of money tied up in two players but also a nice problem to have. Build around these two and move RNH at some point.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
It's this season or bust now because when these contracts kick in they're depth is gone and not coming back. Can't believe nobody learned from Chicago. At least they got multiple Cups out of Toews & Kane before the exodus.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Holy hell, McDavid and Draisaitl together make $21 million starting in 18-19. That's flat out obscene. That's the same that Toews and Kane got together for winning 3 Cups as UFAs.

The Draisaitl part is the one that may or may not bite them in the ass. McDavid's salary is fair, given that he's a step above both Toews and Kane at any point in their careers. However, Draisaitl has basically one year that could possibly justify this salary, and it's certainly a gamble.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I knew it was coming, so I'm fine with it.

Just glad it's done with. I think he'll be more than worth it through most if not all of those 8 years.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Same deal as Stamkos as an RFA

It's 3 years longer and $1m more per year than Stamkos got coming off his ELC.

But, that could be inflation over 7 years.

And Stamkos had back to back 45+ goals and 90+ point seasons to finish off his ELC when he signed that deal.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wow, that is a ton of money. Making Scheifele seem more and more like a deal.

This will also cause major issues for both Sabres as well as Leafs, because both Eichel and especially Matthews will obviously want more than Draisaitl.

I ran a poll after the McDavid signing on what Eichel/Matthews get and seemed like $9.5-$10.5 was the overwhelmingly popular answer, this really seems to point to the lower end of that range to me for Eichel at least. Matthews still has another year to play, so if he regresses or takes a huge step forward that could change his outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia