Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, but I'd rather pay two young, improving players that much money for future potential cups than just paying two guys for loyalty. Makes much less sense to pay for past cups than future cups.

I agree about not paying for past cups like Chicago did, but at the same point, it's going to be hard to win a cup when 2 players take up like a fourth of your payroll. There's a reason the Penguins depth was a problem area after they won in 2009 (last year of Malkin's ELC).

It could be worse, though. I'd rather pay Draisaitl and McDavid $21 million than pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander probably over $27 million.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Well...at least they have their 2 best players locked-up long-term. Surrounding them with talent will become the big issue. How long until Lucic is a cap-dump?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'd build a team around Draisaitl more than I would want to with those two.

Absolutely. I'd take Draisaitl all day every day over Gaudreau.

Tarasenko is a bit of a tougher one, but his contract was signed two years ago when the cap was 71.4 million - equivalent to 10.5% of the cap at the time. 8.5 million on a 75 million dollar cap is 11 percent. Not that much more.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
RNH is definitely gone for pennies on the dollar by the end of 18-19

I feel his value will plummet next summer because the Oilers will be in a rather desperate situation. They should see what they can get for him now.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Totally fair for a guy who should be a PPG player for most of the next decade.

Edmonton doesn't have much of a choice here, the value is right and they'll have to figure out how to build around them. I'd rather be in that boat as opposed to the one I'm in now.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Fair deal. So many people sleeping on Draisaitl and pointing to a 30 game sample of "GF%" while Draisaitl had a slow start and played with 2 struggling rookies Puljujarvi, Slepyshev, and a horrific Pouliot, etc. for the majority of that time. He's an elite player and he got paid like one. Would I like him at a cheaper price? Sure, but I'm perfectly fine with this deal as it locks in a generational player and a future elite 2-way (imo) centre/winger for what could be ~25% of the cap in 4 or 5 years.

I'll take the talent paid at controversial "HF prices" over not having the talent altogether.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Totally fair for a guy who should be a PPG player for most of the next decade.

Edmonton doesn't have much of a choice here, the value is right and they'll have to figure out how to build around them. I'd rather be in that boat as opposed to the one I'm in now.

lets get him to one season of a ppg before we declare him for the next decade ish

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Holy hell, McDavid and Draisaitl together make $21 million starting in 18-19. That's flat out obscene. That's the same that Toews and Kane got together for winning 3 Cups as UFAs.

I think the number for Leon is $1M too high but which pair would you pick for this year and for the next 8?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hell of a hockey player. Oilers had to do it.

On the other hand the Oilers already have approximately 61 million tied up in 2018/19 in only 14 players of their 23 man roster. The cap crunch is coming quick.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Well, I just won $20 from a guy at work.

Who bets he'd get under $7M? Might as well have just given me the money.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
As an Oiler fan, I think it's about 1.5 per year too much. Players that have Drai's speed/skill/size/strength are exceptionally rare though, so he had to be signed at all costs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
13 players signed for next year with $14.2M in cap space. Lets say the Salary cap grows to $77M. That gives the Oilers $16.2M and they have to sign impact RFA's (Strome & Nurse). Lets say that takes $5M each at least for each player. That leaves $6.2M to sign 8 players. Possible but your talking like an average of $0.775M per player. Safe to say RNH or Lucic will be traded. Doesn't have to be this year though because there is still $8M+ in cap space.

Should be real interesting to see how the Oilers work around the Salary Cap. Puljujarvi and Talbot also need new contracts in 2 seasons. It's only going to get more difficult.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the number fro Leon is $1M too high but which pair would you pick for this year and for the next 8?

That wasn't really the point I was making, I was saying that Toews and Kane got their big paydays after they got Chicago cups but McDavid and Draisaitl are getting their big paydays before they had success. That could prove costly to their chances at winning in the future, they could be setting themselves down the 2010-2014 Penguins or current Hawks path.

But at the same point, what else could you even do? You can't just let Draisaitl walk, that's what he was going to get with the comparables out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad