Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That wasn't really the point I was making, I was saying that Toews and Kane got their big paydays after they got Chicago cups but McDavid and Draisaitl are getting their big paydays before they had success. That could prove costly to their chances at winning in the future, they could be setting themselves down the 2010-2014 Penguins or current Hawks path.

But at the same point, what else could you even do? You can't just let Draisaitl walk, that's what he was going to get with the comparables out there.

I agree that there are short term issues. They could be lucky if the $CDN stays where it is and revenues rise as much as they did last year, Those two tings would take the cap to between $80-81M. If Chia can get a decent deals with Strome and Maroon and if they bridge Benning and Nurse this team can stay together. But it may mean that one of Nuge or Maroon are gone.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Seeing all these contracts it's crazy to think Barkov is signed for what, 5.5M? Sadly it looks like Florida isn't competing during that contract.
Barkov plays less than 3/4 of the season on average. Seems like his contract is bang on for what he actually does for the team

Possibly the best contract in the league going forward IMO
Insurance companies would disagree

They're like Chicago with none of the success.
They're like Chicago but a decade younger

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
after the Johansen signing, not sure how it could have been less than $8M. Seems like an alright deal to me

Johansen has a better track record as a player who can drive his own line, and his contract is 7 UFA years versus Draisaitl's, which buys up 4 of them.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Great cap hit and max term for one of the best young players in the game. I think he left some money on the table. No doubt following McDavid's lead. Oilers fans should be very pleased.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Next Lockout is going to be fun.... Owner's prime target will be reigning in 2nd contracts.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I agree the Lucic contract is the real problem. Maybe the next lockout will give some free buyouts again..

seguino

Jan 7, 2013
Van
This is going to be a bad deal. He's a product of McDavid. If he plays on his own line next year, I'd be surprised if he broke 50 points.
Hogwash. Drai is exactly how he finished the season in points. TOP 10 in the league.
Even in his crappy rookie season, you could tell he was going to be special. Amazing hockey player.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Holy hell, McDavid and Draisaitl together make $21 million starting in 18-19. That's flat out obscene. That's the same that Toews and Kane got together for winning 3 Cups as UFAs.

Last year the Oilers duo combined for 177 points and the Chicago duo combined for 147 points. The Edmonton duo should be getting better, and the Chicago duo should be on the downslide.

Ill take the Oilers duo any day.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not at all comparable as Johansen's bought 7 UFA years compared to 4 for Draisital.

Johansen has a better track record as a player who can drive his own line, and his contract is 7 UFA years versus Draisaitl's, which buys up 4 of them.

sure I guess, the RFA years discount really seem to be disappearing for players on this level and up. If you're not using RyJo as a comp, you're using McDavid

either way, I'm not surprised at this deal at all, really didn't see a sub-Johansen AAV as possible

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pending on how well they draft in the future, and if Draisaitl plays on the same line as McDavid, I don't think they'd be willing to gut some of their center depth to trade for a lesser player at what might be their best chance at a cup this year.

I think they'll probably bite the bullet and lose a trade next offseason to shed his salary once the McD extension kicks in, if he continues to underwhelm

They certainly could do that and it would be understandable.

On the other hand, they could still get an effective 3C and another piece if they trade him now, they might not miss a beat and could potentially strengthen the team.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Wow, that is a ton of money. Making Scheifele seem more and more like a steal.

This will also cause major issues for both Sabres as well as Leafs, because both Eichel and especially Matthews will obviously want more than Draisaitl.

What has Eichel done to show he's worth more than drai?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
At the end of the day, Draisaitl would either be the most valuable player/commodity in your franchise or in the top 2(for the vast majority of teams).

These are the teams he'd be in the top 2/3:

Anaheim Ducks - He'd be in their top 2 for players and most valuable asset
Arizona Coyotes - He'd be their most valuable forward and 2nd most valuable asset
Boston Bruins - Most valuable player
Buffalo Sabres - 2nd most valuable player
Calgary Flames - Most valuable player
Carolina Hurricanes - Most valuable player
Chicago Blackhawks - In the top 3, most valuable based on age and contract
Colorado Avalanche - Most valuable player
Columbus Blue Jackets - Most valuable player IMO
Dallas Stars- Top 3
Detroit Red Wings - Most valuable
Edmonton Oilers - Top 2
Florida Panthers - Most valuable
Los Angeles Kings - Top 3
Minnesota Wild - Most valuable
Montreal Canadiens - Top 2, best forward
Nashville Predators - Best forward top 3 value
New Jersey Devils - Most valuable
New York Islanders - Top 2
New York Rangers - Most valuable
Ottawa Senators - Top 2
Philadelphia Flyers - Most valuable
Pittsburgh Penguins - Top 3
San Jose Sharks - Most valuable
St. Louis Blues - Top 3
Tampa Bay Lightning - Top 2
Toronto Maple Leafs - Top 2
Vancouver Canucks - Most valuable
Washington Capitals - Top 2
Winnipeg Jets - Top 2

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So from 2018-2019 until 2020-2021, Oilers will have 51 million locked up on 4 Fs and 4 Ds. You have to wonder what kind of a team they will actually be able to field.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hogwash. Drai is exactly how he finished the season in points. TOP 10 in the league.
Even in his crappy rookie season, you could tell he was going to be special. Amazing hockey player.

Lmfao are you saying Draisatl is a top 10 player in the NHL? :laugh: :laugh:

Dear ****ing lord. Let's see him score 50 points both as a center and off McDavid's wing.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
As an Oiler fan, I'm not happy with the contract. There is no reason he should be getting 2 million more than his comparables like Barkov and Schief.

I just hope other young, big name players ask for similar amounts of money so that most teams are in similar situations.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm guessing full NTC + NMC on the contract as well?

With the amount of NTC and NMC on the Oilers, I feel like they're going to be handcuffed pretty quick.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Kinda wish guys like McDavid, Kane and now Draisaitl would take better contracts. Obviously they are tremendous players and deserve to be paid but think about the rest of the team. Over 20 mill for 2 players is crazy.

Crosby+Malkin is about 18 mill
Stamkos+Kucherov is about 13 million
Tarasenko+Pietrangelo is about 15 million

These guys took decent contracts for their teams to be successful. Especially Kucherov, I admire him greatly for him signing that deal, tells me he really wants to win in Tampa not just in it for the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad