Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Not at all comparable as Johansen's bought 7 UFA years compared to 4 for Draisital.
That leverage is gone now for UFA's. Teams would rather pay for prime years not what a player did in the past(not that Johansen has done much)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Seeing all these contracts it's crazy to think Barkov is signed for what, 5.5M? Sadly it looks like Florida isn't competing during that contract.

Barkov signed just shy of 6M, but his contract only buys up 2 UFA years compared to 4 with Draisaitl. There's also FLA tax benefits compared to EDM.

If FLA went 8 years, I'd imagine the difference between Barkov and Draisaitl would be 1M-1.5M at most. Not a small amount. Draisaitl is clearly pushing contracts forward with this one. But it's not as drastic as people might think.

Another factor, in 6 years what is Barkov going to get for the first two years of his next contract? Probably at least 10M if not more considering the cap will probably be 10M+ higher. So while EDM will have Draisaitl at 8.5M for the final two UFA years of his 8 year deal, if Florida is able to retain Barkov, he could potentially be as high as 10M-12M. (Johansen just signed 8M almost all UFA years on a 75M cap).

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This is a lot of money but I guess it's what you pay for a 21 year old who posted 93 pts in 95 games (regular season + playoffs).

I'm glad he and McDavid got locked up to 8 year deals

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At the end of the day, Draisaitl would either be the most valuable player/commodity in your franchise or in the top 2(for the vast majority of teams).

These are the teams he'd be in the top 2/3:

Anaheim Ducks - He'd be in their top 2 for players and most valuable asset
Arizona Coyotes - He'd be their most valuable forward and 2nd most valuable asset
Boston Bruins - Most valuable player
Buffalo Sabres - 2nd most valuable player
Calgary Flames - Most valuable player
Carolina Hurricanes - Most valuable player
Chicago Blackhawks - In the top 3, most valuable based on age and contract
Colorado Avalanche - Most valuable player
Columbus Blue Jackets - Most valuable player IMO
Dallas Stars- Top 3
Detroit Red Wings - Most valuable
Edmonton Oilers - Top 2
Florida Panthers - Most valuable
Los Angeles Kings - Top 3
Minnesota Wild - Most valuable
Montreal Canadiens - Top 2, best forward
Nashville Predators - Best forward top 3 value
New Jersey Devils - Most valuable
New York Islanders - Top 2
New York Rangers - Most valuable
Ottawa Senators - Top 2
Philadelphia Flyers - Most valuable
Pittsburgh Penguins - Top 3
San Jose Sharks - Most valuable
St. Louis Blues - Top 3
Tampa Bay Lightning - Top 2
Toronto Maple Leafs - Top 2
Vancouver Canucks - Most valuable
Washington Capitals - Top 2
Winnipeg Jets - Top 2

Nope. Scheifele, Trouba, Laine and likely Wheeler are all more valuable for WPG.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
Holy hell, McDavid and Draisaitl together make $21 million starting in 18-19. That's flat out obscene. That's the same that Toews and Kane got together for winning 3 Cups as UFAs.

...and right now, and for the duration of the respective contracts they'll be better players. Fair deal, just like mcdavids.

I haven't read the thread, what% of posts are by people who haven't figured out that inflation affects everyone?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Teams are going to lose real good players more and more, the superstars are going to take a bigger % of the pie leaving the middle class looking elsewhere to get paid when their team won't pay them the $5-7M their numbers say they're worth.

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
At the end of the day, Draisaitl would either be the most valuable player/commodity in your franchise or in the top 2(for the vast majority of teams).

These are the teams he'd be in the top 2/3:

Anaheim Ducks - He'd be in their top 2 for players and most valuable asset
Arizona Coyotes - He'd be their most valuable forward and 2nd most valuable asset
Boston Bruins - Most valuable player
Buffalo Sabres - 2nd most valuable player
Calgary Flames - Most valuable player
Carolina Hurricanes - Most valuable player
Chicago Blackhawks - In the top 3, most valuable based on age and contract
Colorado Avalanche - Most valuable player
Columbus Blue Jackets - Most valuable player IMO
Dallas Stars- Top 3
Detroit Red Wings - Most valuable
Edmonton Oilers - Top 2
Florida Panthers - Most valuable
Los Angeles Kings - Top 3
Minnesota Wild - Most valuable
Montreal Canadiens - Top 2, best forward
Nashville Predators - Best forward top 3 value
New Jersey Devils - Most valuable
New York Islanders - Top 2
New York Rangers - Most valuable
Ottawa Senators - Top 2
Philadelphia Flyers - Most valuable
Pittsburgh Penguins - Top 3
San Jose Sharks - Most valuable
St. Louis Blues - Top 3
Tampa Bay Lightning - Top 2
Toronto Maple Leafs - Top 2
Vancouver Canucks - Most valuable
Washington Capitals - Top 2
Winnipeg Jets - Top 2

Not looking at the other teams, but Draisatl would not be top 3 for the Pens. At least Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and Murray are more valuable than him.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Nope. Scheifele, Trouba, Laine and likely Wheeler are all more valuable for WPG.

I agree. I don't mind this contract at all fro EDM, kid is the real deal. That said, I honestly think Chef's contract is the biggest steal in the game today by a country mile

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He had to be signed but 2.4M more than Scheifele is, a lot.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Does lucic have a full NMC? That may end up being one of the worst contracts ever signed considering the situation....

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You're screwed if Marner and Nylander have big years. BUT I think Lou and MLSE are very capable of devising some type of salary cap circumvention scheme that will get them signed on good deals.

hopefully Nylander gets signed before moving to center, the wing comps are much more favourable

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
21 million for the best young tandem IMO in the NHL for 8 years. Leaves flexibility for the Oilers to contend for many, many years.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Seeing all these contracts it's crazy to think Barkov is signed for what, 5.5M? Sadly it looks like Florida isn't competing during that contract.

barkov didn't sign for an 8 year term and the Panthers also get the Florida Tax Discount.

Edit: Also, Barkov is $5.9 AAV... don't get me wrong, that's a good contract.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
13 players signed for next year with $14.2M in cap space. Lets say the Salary cap grows to $77M. That gives the Oilers $16.2M and they have to sign impact RFA's (Strome & Nurse). Lets say that takes $5M each at least for each player. That leaves $6.2M to sign 8 players. Possible but your talking like an average of $0.775M per player. Safe to say RNH or Lucic will be traded. Doesn't have to be this year though because there is still $8M+ in cap space.

Should be real interesting to see how the Oilers work around the Salary Cap. Puljujarvi and Talbot also need new contracts in 2 seasons. It's only going to get more difficult.

I will eat both of my shoes if Strome or Nurse get anywhere near 5 mil each. 5 mil together maybe.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
he better lead his own line as a C being paid 8.5 after ELC

jeezes you cant afford to have 20-25mill playing on one line

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That leverage is gone now for UFA's. Teams would rather pay for prime years not what a player did in the past(not that Johansen has done much)

I disagree. We still see the consequence of post ELC RFA status in limiting player salary (Gaudreau for example) or forcing players into signing bridge deals (Trouba, Ceci, every member of the TB Lightning).

If Trouba was a UFA, he would have gotten more money and full term or close to it, but RFA status limited his ability to negotiate.

With players like Draisaitl, teams have to choose between saving cap now via a bridge or shorter term deal, or saving cap in their UFA years by going 6-8 years. If the Oilers go for a bridge deal, and Draisaitl continues to play as he has, they aren't getting him at 8.5M during those (is it 3 or 4?) UFA years. They chose to spend more cap now to save cap in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->