Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Don't mind the deal, a bit high, but fair enough.

That leaves our core of top 2 C, and top 4 D, signed for pretty much the same price as Pittsburgh, the reining champs. And locked in at that price for at least the next 4 years. I don't mind that at all. Both will have to sign their goalies. Very similar cap situation IMO.

I think they move RNH after this season, and then try to move Sekera the year after that. Then if Lucic is starting to degrade we can offload him the year after that. It will all work out just fine, assuming some of our guys with potential pan out, guys like Pulj, Strome, Nurse, Benning, and Caggiula, to fill the gaps at a lower cost, or bridge deals.

I think it's absolutely crucial they offload someone in the next year or so. As it stands, they already have 60.7 million devoted to a whopping 13 players in 18-19. That doesn't leave a lot of money to fill a (good) roster out with. Chiarelli's already managed to back himself into a corner and other GMs will take advantage of his future desperation to shed salary in trades.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seems like a fair contract.

The McDavid/Draisaitl contracts are both fair and lock up a terrific 1/2 punch down the middle for the next 8 years.

What I'd be concerned with if I was an Oilers fan would be Chiarelli's use of the cap to fill in the supporting cast.

He got rid of Eberle's contract which he inherited, if he can find a taker for RNH. It will clear the decks for PC even more. I look at the Russell signing at 4M x 4. That was fair for an underrated player IMO. Kelfbom and Larsson are slightly over 4M. So really other than Lucic, which IMO is not bad either. I don't see a bad contract on the roster. McDavid and Draisaitl could have demanded more, but it looks like both took the home team discount. No holding out, no contract drama, people should be lauding Chiarelli from what I can see.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His goals above replacement was top 3 in the league among dmen last year, you tell me. It's the same stat that validates Olier fans sentiment on Klefbom.

I've never claimed Klefbom is anywhere near a top 10 D in the league, so I'm not sure your point. I did enjoy the good laugh though at the prospect that Trouba is.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
His goals above replacement was top 3 in the league among dmen last year, you tell me. It's the same stat that validates Olier fans sentiment on Klefbom.
You mean a poor mans #1 aka. Not really a #1 defenseman but acceptable with the right partner

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
individually he might very well be worth that contract but together...well, if you decide to go nuts there some of the other key players on your successful team are going to ask for some extra. or they could. they should.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yup. Signing contracts like Lucic's isn't the problem. It is definitely McDavid & Drai.

Now they are PIT without the cups. Ouch. Such a horrible predicament.

Lol, do you mean Draisaitl = Malkin? Not sure, McDavid is as good as Malkin was at his prime, and comparing Leon to Geno is laughable.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I think it's a fine contract, they could move him for a haul tomorrow if they wanted to.

This lol.

Can Chi move Toews? Nope. Not easily or without multiple pieces.
Can EDM move Drai? Uhhhh. Yeah. very easily. If they so choose at some point.

I don't get these comparisons, they are off-base and silly.

I am the furthest thing from an EDM fan; actually, I really strongly dislike them. These haters are ridiculous though.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That Lucic contract has albatross written all over it REALLY soon.

Mar 26, 2010
I've never claimed Klefbom is anywhere near a top 10 D in the league, so I'm not sure your point. I did enjoy the good laugh though at the prospect that Trouba is.

Klefbom is not a top 50 D man in the NHL.

Trouba is much better than Klefbom. Neither are top pairing D though.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Homesick;135247599[B said:
]Brouwer, Eriksson, Ladd, Backes.....not even the worst of 2016 :shakehead

[/B]Johansen played in the finals?

Settle the **** down :biglaugh:

I will agree that Scheifele and Laine have more value, although I'd like to see what Draisaitl does by the time he's 24 years old)

Exactly. Lucic's contract wasn't even the worst one signed that summer :laugh:

Id rather have him at 6M for the next 6 years over all those guys...esp given that fact the Lucic is younger then them all by atleast 2 years

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Lol, do you mean Draisaitl = Malkin? Not sure, McDavid is as good as Malkin was at his prime, and comparing Leon to Geno is laughable.

Hell no I don't mean that. If I did, I would have said so.

Are people saying Drai = Toews? Of course not.

Lol, you can go ahead and make-up whatever logic leaps you want though.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Higher than I wanted but we now have our core players locked up long term.

Won't call it a good contract but it's not that bad.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Last year the Oilers duo combined for 177 points and the Chicago duo combined for 147 points. The Edmonton duo should be getting better, and the Chicago duo should be on the downslide.

Ill take the Oilers duo any day.

thats a foolish comment as the Hawks T&K won all three cups when they were making 6.3 million each and then received the raises starting 2015-16 from their success and also when the Canadian dollar was on par with the US. The Salary Cap was expected to go much much higher and that's not the case now. What do you think McDavid and Drai would ask for after these current deals if the won 3 Cups? do you think would get less? or get paid for their succeses and take less even when older?

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
The Oilers' cap space is getting thinner.

xluD3mZ.gif

And Leon's contract's getting laaaarger!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That's nice. You can believe what you want. I think he is and there is evidence to support it which is good enough for me. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad