Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
How do you know this for certain? I'm a big fan of Drai, but it is not a guarantee.

two players that have only gotten better with every season they have played so far. No reason to think they will not continue in their growth.

The chance of them falling/regressing is pretty small all things considered. I hope the people saying that they could regress are not banking on it as their main argument, or else it would seem like they are stretching for arguments.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Fair value for this contract although the Oilers should have been able to get him for around 7.5. This contract will look a lot better than McDavid's in a few years I'd say.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Draisaitl, wow, terrific contract.

Locked up at a reasonable salary. He played like an 8.5M player last season and he should trend upward.

Terrific contract for EDM.

Wow, wow, wow !!

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
This is about what I was expecting and I'd say it's fair. The issue isn't whether Drai is overpaid (I don't think he is), it's how the other deals on the books make this cap hit much more difficult to fit in starting in 2018-19. But maybe RNH gets traded and it won't matter.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
21 million average of 10.5M per to lock up a 20-21 year old Mcdavid and Draisaitl in today's going rate for players, and people are criticizing Chiarelli. Lol. Tough crowd. He just ensured the Oilers as contenders for a decade with this 1-2 punch down the middle with more than enough cap space to fill out a supporting cast.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
LOL at the haters saying it's a horrible deal and good luck competing.

Forgetting for a sec that the cap goes up every year and that they have their #1 and #2 dmen locked up long term at 4.1 mil each...
They just traded Eberle's 6 mil for value. HFBoards Least Valuable Player. And you guys actually think they'd have a problem dumping better players in RNH and Lucic, if it came to it? :laugh:

Horrible? No. It's fair value.

But it's also a contract that pretty much has low chances at being a bargain and it's low in flexibility.

Oilers were doing the smart thing once upon a time giving 6x6 to Hall, Eberle and RNH. If Drai falters, Chia's options are limited.

Karsa Orlong

Knight of chains
May 6, 2012
Edmonton
Don't mind the deal, a bit high, but fair enough.

That leaves our core of top 2 C, and top 4 D, signed for pretty much the same price as Pittsburgh, the reining champs. And locked in at that price for at least the next 4 years. I don't mind that at all. Both will have to sign their goalies. Very similar cap situation IMO.

I think they move RNH after this season, and then try to move Sekera the year after that. Then if Lucic is starting to degrade we can offload him the year after that. It will all work out just fine, assuming some of our guys with potential pan out, guys like Pulj, Strome, Nurse, Benning, and Caggiula, to fill the gaps at a lower cost, or bridge deals.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Seems like a fair contract.

The McDavid/Draisaitl contracts are both fair and lock up a terrific 1/2 punch down the middle for the next 8 years.

What I'd be concerned with if I was an Oilers fan would be Chiarelli's use of the cap to fill in the supporting cast.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Does lucic have a full NMC? That may end up being one of the worst contracts ever signed considering the situation....
Brouwer, Eriksson, Ladd, Backes.....not even the worst of 2016 :shakehead

>not that the 1C on a Cup finalist has done much
Johansen played in the finals?

So Scheifele who has outscored him each of the last two seasons and makes almost 2.5 million less isn't more valuable?

Trouba a 23 year old top 10 dmen isn't more valuable or Laine who scored at the same rate as an 18 year old isn't more valuable. Sorry but i dont agree withbyour assesment of him.
Settle the **** down :biglaugh:

I will agree that Scheifele and Laine have more value, although I'd like to see what Draisaitl does by the time he's 24 years old)

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Seems like a fair contract.

The McDavid/Draisaitl contracts are both fair and lock up a terrific 1/2 punch down the middle for the next 8 years.

What I'd be concerned with if I was an Oilers fan would be Chiarelli's use of the cap to fill in the supporting cast.

The nice thing is that when you have a player like McDavid, you can have a player like Maroon scoring 25+ goals on your first line.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
So now theyre chicago without the cups

Yup. Signing contracts like Lucic's isn't the problem. It is definitely McDavid & Drai.

Now they are PIT without the cups. Ouch. Such a horrible predicament.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Unfortunately, Chia was in an almost impossible situation, so this was inevitable. Love the team, love the player, hate the deal. As good as he could be, he simply hasn't earned this in any way. Drai has a lot to prove...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
At the end of the day, Draisaitl would either be the most valuable player/commodity in your franchise or in the top 2(for the vast majority of teams).

These are the teams he'd be in the top 2/3:

Anaheim Ducks - He'd be in their top 2 for players and most valuable asset
Arizona Coyotes - He'd be their most valuable forward and 2nd most valuable asset
Boston Bruins - Most valuable player
Buffalo Sabres - 2nd most valuable player
Calgary Flames - Most valuable player
Carolina Hurricanes - Most valuable player
Chicago Blackhawks - In the top 3, most valuable based on age and contract
Colorado Avalanche - Most valuable player
Columbus Blue Jackets - Most valuable player IMO
Dallas Stars- Top 3
Detroit Red Wings - Most valuable
Edmonton Oilers - Top 2
Florida Panthers - Most valuable
Los Angeles Kings - Top 3
Minnesota Wild - Most valuable
Montreal Canadiens - Top 2, best forward
Nashville Predators - Best forward top 3 value
New Jersey Devils - Most valuable
New York Islanders - Top 2
New York Rangers - Most valuable
Ottawa Senators - Top 2
Philadelphia Flyers - Most valuable
Pittsburgh Penguins - Top 3
San Jose Sharks - Most valuable
St. Louis Blues - Top 3
Tampa Bay Lightning - Top 2
Toronto Maple Leafs - Top 2
Vancouver Canucks - Most valuable
Washington Capitals - Top 2
Winnipeg Jets - Top 2

Were you only considering forwards and not taking into account contract?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Crazy expensive for someone with two years of experience. Some of these contracts will be be financial disasters for the teams after a few years. Maybe not for Draisaitl, but it will happen.

So who will be get the next Alex Semin at 8M x 8 years?

Signing young high pedigree star players to these deals coming right off of their ELC isn't very risky at all because the buyout formula for players under 26 is extremely generous. If a team buys out a player under 26, they only have to pay 16.67% of the cap hit for twice the remaining length. Despres on ANA is an example of this.

The only exception is when teams get wacky with signing bonuses. If there are lockouts caused by these contracts it won't be because players are getting contracts that are too big. It will be because players are getting contracts that are too big that are impossible to buyout, and that small market teams can't compete with because of the up front element of the signing bonuses.

With that said, you can't just look at risk as a 1 way street. There's risk a player signed to a big deal after their ELC won't live up to it, but there's also risk that they will cost more after a bridge deal, or considerably more for their UFA years that the team could have bought up. PK Subban is an example of this. What would it have cost MTL to lock him up for 6-8 years in 12-13? 5.5M-7M? Instead, they signed him to a bridge that resulted in him making 9.5M during multiple seasons that he'd overwise have been cost controlled at significantly less.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Code:
Player	Tm	Salary	Cap Hit
▼
Jonathan Toews	CHI	13,800,000	10,500,000
Patrick Kane	CHI	13,800,000	10,500,000
Anze Kopitar	LAK	13,000,000	10,000,000
Alex Ovechkin	WSH	10,000,000	9,538,462
Jamie Benn	DAL	13,000,000	9,500,000
Evgeni Malkin	PIT	9,500,000	        9,500,000
P.K. Subban	NSH	11,000,000	9,000,000
Sidney Crosby	PIT	10,900,000	8,700,000
Corey Perry	ANA	10,000,000	8,625,000
Steven Stamkos	TBL	9,500,000	        8,500,000
Henrik LundqvistNYR	9,000,000	         8,500,000
Claude Giroux	PHI	9,000,000  	8,275,000
Jakub Voracek	PHI	10,000,000	8,250,000
Ryan Getzlaf	ANA	9,025,000	        8,250,000
Brent Burns	SJS	10,000,000	8,000,000
Joe Thornton	SJS	8,000,000	        8,000,000
Ryan Johansen	NSH	8,000,000	        8,000,000
Aside from guys making $8.7 plus, I don't think I would swap Draisaitl for any of the other guys making $8 M plus. Expensive now, but by mid deal it will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad