Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Where do you buy your glue? I want what you are having.

So Scheifele who has outscored him each of the last two seasons and makes almost 2.5 million less isn't more valuable?

Trouba a 23 year old top 10 dmen isn't more valuable or Laine who scored at the same rate as an 18 year old isn't more valuable. Sorry but i dont agree withbyour assesment of him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can Oiler fans summarize his stats with/without McDavid? a 2C making this much is quite hefty, but if he puts up 70+ points as a 2C it is easily worth it

There's no real easy way to do it, because Drai played 1RW and 2C about evenly split. I looked at it myself recently and McDavid had a direct hand (G or A) on about 50% of Draisaitl's points last season.

The trouble is you can't just assume none of those points would have happened without McDavid, as Draisaitl was a 50 point player at C the season before, and if it wasn't McDavid it would be another very good player.

My assumption is he'd likely have put up Johansen-ish numbers (60-65 points, more goals than RyJo though and younger) without McDavid last season which is a damn good player in his own right particularly at 21 years old.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
13 players signed for next year with $14.2M in cap space. Lets say the Salary cap grows to $77M. That gives the Oilers $16.2M and they have to sign impact RFA's (Strome & Nurse). Lets say that takes $5M each at least for each player. That leaves $6.2M to sign 8 players. Possible but your talking like an average of $0.775M per player. Safe to say RNH or Lucic will be traded. Doesn't have to be this year though because there is still $8M+ in cap space.

Should be real interesting to see how the Oilers work around the Salary Cap. Puljujarvi and Talbot also need new contracts in 2 seasons. It's only going to get more difficult.

5M for Nurse and 5M for Strome? In what world?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Did the same kinda thing not happen last offseason with the Jets? Winnipeg becomes the toast of HFBoards in the offseason and then come crashing down when games are actually played. :laugh:

It's the Winnipeg way. They win the cup every offseason with how great their team is according to their fans but then they actually play and they are really bad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Chiarelli overpays practically everyone so he just may be.

As long as he wins the cup with this group, I don't think anyone would really care. I don't think McDavid is overpaid, and I certainly do not believe Draisaitl is either. 2.5 more than RNH on the salary totem pole for the next 8 years is fair. He is the 2nd best player on the Oilers, some would say best in the playoffs. 8.5 for a player's best years of his career is very palatable for a contender.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
He had to be signed but 2.4M more than Scheifele is, a lot.

Well, that is the difference between Scheifele signing his new contract before finishing top 10 in scoring and Draisaitl signing his new deal after doing so. There is no way Scheifele would have signed his current deal if the contract had run out this summer.

Sometimes teams get lucky, sometimes they don't. Teams often hope to sign deals that may seem a bit expensive early on but could turn out to be cheap in the later years, that's what Edmonton tried to do with Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins. That looked pretty good early on, but Eberle's play dropped over time and Nugent-Hopkins stalled in his development. That's the risk you take when you try to secure your best players. If you take the risk, the player might get worse in the future, but if you don't take the risk, the player could be far more expensive as well, or maybe even leave the team without any compensation.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
They won the 3rd cup after the contracts were given if i remember correctly

I think they got the contracts before they won their 3rd, but those contracts didn't start until after they won their 3rd. Yeah, I believe that's what happened.

Toews/Kane signed their extensions in July 2014, with one year remaining on their current deals - and they won the Cup that season. Since the extensions kicked in, Chicago has yet to win a playoff series.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
LOL at the haters saying it's a horrible deal and good luck competing.

Forgetting for a sec that the cap goes up every year and that they have their #1 and #2 dmen locked up long term at 4.1 mil each...
They just traded Eberle's 6 mil for value. HFBoards Least Valuable Player. And you guys actually think they'd have a problem dumping better players in RNH and Lucic, if it came to it? :laugh:

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
It's a good deal. Drai will produce with McDavid and the duo should be able to carry the team throughout their primes.

If Drai is producing and the Oilers do run into cap trouble, it won't be because of his contract. It will be contracts like RNH, Lucic or Russell that will be the issue. It's the overpayment of lesser tier players that cause cap issues. Not the payment to true stars. The challenge will be for Peter to surround them with good cheap young talent. Not to hand out Russell-like contracts every year.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So Scheifele who has outscored him each of the last two seasons and makes almost 2.5 million less isn't more valuable?

Trouba a 23 year old top 10 dmen isn't more valuable or Laine who scored at the same rate as an 18 year old isn't more valuable. Sorry but i dont agree withbyour assesment of him.

Trouba a top 10 Dman, good lord.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Guy is delusional you would think perhaps the jets would maybe actually be good one of these years if that was the case

Bottom 3 goaltending will do that to a team. 400 man games lost to injury last year doesn't help either. But we all know how Edmonton did when they suffered injuries a few years back but with goaltending. So maybe try not to throw stones. Edmonton is another McDavid injury away from the basement.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
McDavid's GF% also dips when he doesn't play with Draisaitl, but let's not mention that at all.

WRONG.

Draisaitl scored 62.5% of his even strenth points with McDavid. Played with him 57.2% of the time. Not too far off.

But Draisaitls Goals For % with McDavid was 59.4%, and without him it dropped to 44.2%. McDavid GF % without Leon was 65.5%. Corsi for % with McDavid 53.7%, and without 47.9%. McDavid CF% without Leon was 52.1%

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toews/Kane signed their extensions in July 2014, with one year remaining on their current deals - and they won the Cup that season. Since the extensions kicked in, Chicago has yet to win a playoff series.

It's not the Kane and Toews contracts that are killing the Blackhawks, it's the Brent Seabrook contract.

McDavid and Draisaitl's contracts will NOT kill the Oilers. What they will do is remove ANY room for management mistakes surrounding them.

Blackhawks made their mistakes with Bickell (granted, unforeseen circumstances) and Seabrook.

IMO, Oilers have already made one mistake with Lucic. I think Russell is a mistake, as well. But they can move RNH to make room.... question is can they fill the void with somebody (or several) of equal or greater value.

They'll have a similar challenge surrounding those players with depth, and they can't afford another Lucic type decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest